Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buyer hasn't changed ownership

evljat

Hey guys, I've gotten myself into a conundrum.

I sold my car on the 21st of this month. It was late and cold and the buyer assured me he'd change the ownership online when he'd get home. He seemed trustworthy.

I checked on carjam today (27th) and it's still showing me as the owner. The buyer isn't answering calls or texts and all I have is his first name so I can't complete the sellers part of ownership change either.

Is there anything that I can do to get myself out of this situation? I don't want to get stuck with any fines he encounters. Can I report the car stolen or deregister it since it's still under my name?

Cheers.

you can fill out a notice of disposal on your part that should change the outcome of any fines you may get. If you feel he is avoiding you on purpose then i would message him and give him deadline to change ownership or car will be deregistered. I've had this happen to me a few times now i either makesure the ownership is changed before car is picked up or change it at postshop at pos

Wife had that happen also. Buyer went thro toll road and didnt pay was a 40 buck fine and they tried to stitch us with it even tho she had done her form. Thankfully had the guys number still and he sorted it. Ridiculous tho considering she had signed it off her name.

21st is only a 6 days ago. Call up the nzta/police and ask them if they can confirm it's been changed. They can't legally tell you who owns the car but they can tell you if it's been changed. I once had a guy not change ownership for over 6 months and it wasn't until he went to re-register it he realised it wasn't in his name haha. Luckily he was just a chilled dude and didn't get any tickets or anything.

I usually make buyer fill out a form with full name and license details before I'll hand over the keys now though. Especially with cars like Subarus because they're so easy to get into trouble with.

You can de-register it or report stolen if it's under your name (don't mention that it's changed hands while you're doing it though), but you'd want to make sure it was done legit in case he tried to small claims court you over it.

evljat said:
Which form is that Hijacka? I usually fill out the disposal form online but in order to do that you need the buyer's last name and physical address which I don't have.

I thought there was a form been long time so perhaps it no longer exist?..

I think the last time this S*** happened to me i never had full details of buyer either but from memory i filled out a form with all my details on it and the name and contact number of buyer which was all the info i had on him and sent it away.

My understanding at that time was that if i got a fine they would at least have a record of you deposing the car.

Don't report it stolen as it could backfire because legally he does own it.. worst case scenario you simply de-register the car, that is about all you can do. touch wood it doesn't come to that do give him a chance and learn from this experience

Good luck!