Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Injector and Tune Suggestion (01 WRX STI)

Jonesee

• Admin

Yeah I'm running a 0.63 Garrett housing, thought it would flow OK with the big Holset turbine wheel but it seems to choke. Need to borrow the EGBP setup off evowrx and check what's going on but I'm planning on changing to the Holset 12cm twin scroll housing which is equivalent to a 0.87AR Garrett.

• Admin

I'm currently using Prova headers, single scroll, and would continue to with the new housing.

I'm slowly planning out a front-mount turbo setup at the moment. I think I can make it work but I need to measure some stuff. Would resolve most of the dumb issues we have with big turbos.

Yeah sticking with STM. They look after me pretty well really :) Nobody else in Wellington at the moment I would consider using for Link tuning.

EDIT: And I know people have different philosophies about this stuff but seriously, without a dyno where you can steady-state the car you really can't tune the timing for peak torque at all load cells... unless you have some crazy-ass alternative gear which I am looking into getting my mits on.

With everything playing nice 30psi should be fine on gt/gtx series. If its heating up theres an issue whether its turbine housing or whatever.

I reckon youre just going to move the curve to right staying s/s with bigger housing unless you go qsv. The engine will be falling over by the time the turbo starts to make decent power. I say ej26 or wtf you were thinking of doing then 16cm2 monster power time. But definitely definitely go t/s.

Im curious to see data on opticals setup which is pretty much the same as yours now providing his hasnt changed in last year or so.

boon said:
I'm currently using Prova headers, single scroll, and would continue to with the new housing.

I'm slowly planning out a front-mount turbo setup at the moment. I think I can make it work but I need to measure some stuff. Would resolve most of the dumb issues we have with big turbos.

Yeah sticking with STM. They look after me pretty well really :) Nobody else in Wellington at the moment I would consider using for Link tuning.

EDIT: And I know people have different philosophies about this stuff but seriously, without a dyno where you can steady-state the car you really can't tune the timing for peak torque at all load cells... unless you have some crazy-ass alternative gear which I am looking into getting my mits on.

Will there be any alterations to your up pipe once the 12cm ts goes on? Something like a twin entry up pipe similar to tomei design. Not gonna lie 12cm is big, bigger then what most aftermarket stock frame evo's run so hopefully you dont encounter extreme much lag :P

With regards to the fmic, flipping the manifold? Maybe go a step further with the v mount haha. Honestly i really wanna experience the response on a v mount setup, with the minimal piping required it should be a response animal!

If your sold on stm then i cant really change your mind there but what i will say is that it doesn't take long for an experienced tuner to steady state a car, i had the drive-ability nailed down perfectly with no issues within 3 revisions on speed density! You might be correct as far as timing goes but thats a trial and error story on road tunes and i'm willingly to bet stm does not tune all load cells for peak torque either, that would take a great amount of dyno time to perfect. The whole time going through revisions my car only knocked once and that was attributed to false knock.

Everyone knows this by now but STM are too conservative which floats some peoples boat, not mine if im paying 1195 for a reflash. Fanboys need to come into terms with reality that there are better options out there.

I would describe the e tuning as a great experience and ive learned alot with what goes on behind the laptop and honestly from what i think thats what is holding your setup back - the tune, there i said it, shoot me.

• Admin

Nah I would continue running single entry for the time being, too much faffing around to go twin-scroll for minimal gains.

As for front mount, I mean put the turbo at the front of the motor. If you run a twin or triple core aftermarket Civic radiator you can fit a Garrett GTX3071R in between the aircon compressor and the radiator support. Super short headers, much easier exhaust routing, really short boost plumbing... you just have to make sure you don't melt the cambelt (and other belts) with the heat.

Talk to jase about t/s holsets seem to work in chch id say moving everything 1k to the left pretty sweet gains.

Would love an elcheapo gc/gf drag build with low front mount turbo but would need to learn how to weld first. Nice setup on 22b atm.