Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

QSV

hijacka

boon said:

I'm planning to get the 12cm twinscroll housing and try it both on my singlescroll setup and on a true twinscroll arrangement, eventually.

It's fun on a single scroll setup because after waiting a week for it to reach the boost threshold, all hell breaks loose and it flies! But it was slow as hell because of it. I could only get mine to spool before 5500rpm by loading it on the brakes. The car was better with a td05. Will find out one day soon how good it is with true twin scroll (all going well).

Koom said:
It's fun on a single scroll setup because after waiting a week for it to reach the boost threshold, all hell breaks loose and it flies! But it was slow as hell because of it. I could only get mine to spool before 5500rpm by loading it on the brakes. The car was better with a td05. Will find out one day soon how good it is with true twin scroll (all going well).

Such a waste of exhaust gas tho. Just like running a gt35 at 15psi daily and 30psi second map. Because so much gas is wasted when it should be spooling curve moves to the right.

See you at flatnats hamish. :P

evowrx']Such a waste of exhaust gas tho. Just like running a gt35 at 15psi daily and 30psi second map. Because so much gas is wasted when it should be spooling curve moves to the right.

Could always run a Prodrive "rocket" system and have 30psi from idle ;)

Which way around are you saying is a waste of gas flow? Twin scroll, single to t/s housing or with a qsv?

The single to t/s housing is a waste of time as the result is sh*te. But I still had a massive grin on my face every time it finally spooled!

[quote name='evowrx said:

See you at flatnats hamish. :P

Don't jump the gun there. Have to see if it holds together on the dyno first... Watch this space.

Not qsv related just general comment that late to spool due to big housing/no egbp gives 1k powerband return as things arent happening then engine cant keep up. Once the turbo/engine equalize youre past engine efficency and it was all for nought. With t/s you have split pulse and small to big housing whereas qsv you only have small to big housing. Unless its a drag car that makes 300wkw over 1k range youre not winning and a car like that would be no fun on the road anyway.

Pretty much bang on how an hx35 with 12cm3 spilt housing reacts on an ej20 with single scroll up-pipe. Also, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear only loaded it enough for it to hit about 18psi. Then 25+ in 4th but by that stage it's far from legal road speeds.

That's also why I stroked it in an attempt to lower the boost threshold along with twin scroll. The 4 year stand down period (because homeowner) has turned it into the 2nd longest running experiment in the history of science though!

• Admin

Are you running AVCS Koom?

I get boost from about 2500rpm and hits full boost at 5k. Agree with you on the load thing though, hard to build all the boosts in 1st and 2nd and after that you're doing a lot of kph.

That's with a (functionally) HX35 with a smaller single scroll housing that may not actually be super well suited to the turbo.

Still keen as to give a t/s 12cm a whirl though, both in single and twinscroll configuration.

boon said:

I get boost from about 2500rpm and hits full boost at 5k. Agree with you on the load thing though, hard to build all the boosts in 1st and 2nd and after that you're doing a lot of kph.

That's with a (functionally) HX35 with a smaller single scroll housing that may not actually be super well suited to the turbo.

Still keen as to give a t/s 12cm a whirl though, both in single and twinscroll configuration.

Would the .82 raymond did for opticals turbo fit for testing purposes or diff flange?

boon said:

Nope, no avcs. It used to be std V3 STI RA heads but now they've also been ported and polished. Also put adjustable cam gears on as the timing on the drivers side head was drifting miles off the correct centerline after machining the heads and block.

all this talk about the hotside but what about the cold? You have to specify which compressor wheel your running aswell! holset has lots of different sizes. i up graded my hx40 to 62mm inducer and 86mm exducer and the wheel is much taller than factory holset which it use to have 54/82.

I've always wondered about the holset turbine housing if it minuses the divided part of the housing before working out ar?

If not then a 16cm housing could actually be more around .82 rather than the 1.13

evowrx said:
Holset wheel/housing sizes make no sense compared to anything else.

Well i really look forward to seeing some first hand comparisons in the future, seems more and more people are running them.

I've had a quick flick through this and had a talk with Murch about using a hx35 for my legacy, he's said there's 2 options that really are the only good options for a Subaru.

The first being a hx35rs with a 12 or 14cm housing as any bigger and it's going to be a laggy pig but will top out around 7k and will get around 250kw with the right supporting mods. The is the single scroll version he said would be a good gymkhana build

The 2nd option which is a hx35/2 with a 12or14cm housing and a good 40mm waste gate would be a better suit for anything up to around 600hp or 400kw, that's with the right mods, this is a twin scroll turbo with ample power through the rev range where he was talking about the set up of them is the most important part of the build on them, I've got a few ideas that we're keeping hush at the moment till I can get it all into action eg; watercooled inter cooler + quad throttle body's

I know il probably get shot down but it's just my throught on these awesome turbos

For -260wkw youre better off with one of his bolton td05 based hybrids. I dont see the point in holset unless youre aiming on 280wkw- and t/s. Spend a fair bit making it fit unless you can do it yourself.