Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

UK police replace Imprezas with Lexus IS-F cruisers

newsuba said:

Altezza/IS250 etc are Ok for Jappas but still a world behind an Audi A4/ BMW 3-series/Mercedes C-class.

;D

My old man used to always have mercs and bmers, but then test drove an is200 did around 500m and could tell it was a better handling car than all the others mentioned traded his 5 series for it. Moved onto another 200, then the 250, but the ISF was a dog so he moved over to the XF.

The truth is that the Japanese have moved a long way whilst others get lazy. Since the late 90's Mercs have become unreliable and of poor build. Loosing many customer review surveys etc.

On a tangent I heard a story through the grapevine from a marshal at Puke that at a recent track day a youngster crashed his mums 2 day old ISF into the wall, and he hadn't even told her he'd borrowed it lol

BC5RA said:

Yes, thats the one certainly would prefer the 2.3.

How old are you camrhodes?

26, ive never been a fan of the older BMW's however i do like the 2000+ models. My Mother in law has a 2001 530i which is kinda plain looking but amaizing to drive at high speed, its like gliding over silk :). Old BMW's remind me of something a school teacher would drive or dodgy old men who are angry at the world for not letting them get the car they wanted 30 years earlier. Just my opinion and taste obviously you like them so good on you.

BC5RA said:

Fair enough.

Yeah I'm a sucker for anything in that era.

16.jpg

performancebmw-035_edited.jpg

You sure? ::)

In red its kinda ok but i certainly wouldnt buy it and definatley could think of a million.... well maybe not a million but alot of cars i would rather spend 80k on

That white one is awesome, i would be so happy to own that, even at 80k.

Much better than a peice of plastic rubbish lexota. That BMW has class and presence, something that IMO an IS-F will never. Not to mention actual pedigree.

I'll take the red one then.

;)

cpt kernow said:

The truth is that the Japanese have moved a long way whilst others get lazy. Since the late 90's Mercs have become unreliable and of poor build. Loosing many customer review surveys etc.

That was true in the '90s but since Mercedes got rid of that dead dog Chrysler their quality has recovered.

Now it's the Japs who have been resting on their laurels.

:P

Man that red is AWESOME!

What about the new age M3 GTR??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3#M3_GTR

and my father in laws car...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series#850CSi

V12 - 6 speed manual. He has 1 of 160 right hand drive ones in the world....man this thing is cool. If you have the windows down and go past 90mile it puts them up for you. Does mean skids (apparantly)

Swindog said:

Man that red is AWESOME!

What about the new age M3 GTR??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3#M3_GTR ----very nice

and my father in laws car...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series#850CSi

V12 - 6 speed manual. He has 1 of 160 right hand drive ones in the world....man this thing is cool. If you have the windows down and go past 90mile it puts them up for you. Does mean skids (apparantly) ---seems very underpowered for a 5.6ltr v12 especialy of those years when all car manufactureres were mad on HP. im sure it still goes hard but would be expecting more like 450 hp than 380

I see a lot of simularities between BMW and Subaru even though they compete in different market segments. Both have maintained a philosophy (and a distinct point of difference) in their respective markets. BMW have remained committed to inline engines at the front and RWD, while Subaru have remained committed to horizontally opposed engines and 4WD.

I've had several of both brands over the years, and currently own an E36 M3 3 litre as well as the BF5 GT and my wife's BH Lancaster 3 litre. The M3 has been very reliable, and is a pleasure to drive.

I've just discovered I must be an angry old man, because I also have a '74 BMW 3.0S (an E3 model) tucked away in the shed awaiting a 3.5l conversion . . . .

:>)

newsuba said:

If you were to research car history of the period you'll find 380bhp WAS a high output for the time.

::)

The 850CSi's competitors all had less; Porsche 928 GTS 350bhp, TWR Jaguar XJS 320bhp.

Well...it feels awhole lot more than 380 cos it gets off its arse. The 6 speed is amazing to drive and for its day it has AWHOLE lotta extras. Ie the rear wheels at high speed calculate and turn slightly to assist in high speed cornering. Pretty good for its day. As a matter of fact, my father in laws 850csi is red with black leather and has a blaupunkt? in car phone system hooked to the stereo system from factory. It also has a paint job most brand new modern day cars would envy.