Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

IM Looking for a v3 sti motor ANY IDEAS???

Hey all im looking for a replacement v3 sti motor, Ive been advised by a mechanic this is the best way ...

Anyone got one or know who I can call? Must be in good running order.

thanks

Your going to be pushing it to find a decent v3 sti motor in good condition, especially if you take into account who normally owns a V3 sti these days and that they are 12 years old. And if you do find a good one i would still call it a gamble.

What are your plans long term? Keep it or sell it.

If you want to keep it you are almost better off rebuilding something decent yourself, that you know it is fine, i would rather spend 4k once and get something built by someone i trust than waste 1k on a motor that is highly iffy and end up back at square one again in a pretty short amount of time.

Also, you dont have to get a v3 block, you can always go and buy any block you want, even if it is a different generation block (as long as it doesn't have avcs though) and you can put your manifold and wiring harness onto it and it will essentially be a v3 sti motor. If it is a different generation/phase motor you will have to get a adaptor plate made which is no biggy at all.

That is my 2 cents anyway, hope it helps

Thanks for the replys basically i just bought a very tidy unmodded 1996 facelift sti v3 sedan with 130,k's that has been overheated due to a split hose . i bought it for $2200 and have budgeted to have it up and running for 5000 .market seem to show its value will be 7-8000 once repaired

I wheel and deal some cars sometimes just as a hobbie and for a lil pocket money. Plus always wanted to own a STI yet im into 4x4ing and own a v8 landcruiser and cant afford to own two enthousiast vehicles, atleast this way i get to own one for atleast a wee while.

I only plan on keeping the vehicle for only a few months and then will sell on .

So the prefferd option is a replacement motor maybe with a short warranty,

I understand if it was a keeper The best option would be to have the engine fully rebuilt so you not at square one after time.

Ive just e-mailed sub a roo to see if they have anything available . (thanks for the info)

and also there is also that Guy on trademe But he cant get another one for 6 weeks.

still welcome any more suggestions on where i can find one..

cheers

RAYDEO said:

if its only been overheated then im guessing its just suffering a split head gasket... replace that, clean it up, new hoses, new oil and water n go for gold

Sounds like the cheaper option to me.

Also are you doing it yourself or paying someone(as a mechanic was mentioned earlier) to do it?

QRAF']

[quote name='RAYDEO said:

if its only been overheated then im guessing its just suffering a split head gasket... replace that, clean it up, new hoses, new oil and water n go for gold

/quote]Sounds like the cheaper option to me.

Also are you doing it yourself or paying someone(as a mechanic was mentioned earlier) to do it?

Ive sent it to a friend of a friend who has taken the motor out , motor hasnt been stripped yet . But says theres oil/water mud all through it and intercooler ect ..

My first hope was that its head gasket ect .. But was just advised to scrap it and get another motor ..

Anybody know anyone Good and maybe cheap In wellington area that could take a look at the motor?

Ive been in contact with a guy tonight who builds up subaru engines in His garage for racing/rally locally ..

so going to drop the engine into him in the weekend and he will strip It and see if the internals are ok or not ..

and will go from there..

sounds like he will get me running again so thats good..

also the Turbo has seized unfortunatly im guessing due to the vehicle sitting for 8 months after it was overheated ...

I think its a vf22 or vf23...

question is , What Models are a direct Bolt on for this, will a vf24 , 26 ect fit?

thanks

BC5RA said:

Just to point out that there is no such turbo (As a single) as a VF26.

ha ha nice..

i dont know much ..

Okey Ive found out Mine should be a vf23 on a STI v3

I have found a VF24 trademe $400 posted to my door

Could someone please advise ... aparently with 98,000k's from a v5 and no shaft play

*Is this a Upgrade????

*is it good price or average

*is there any pros and cons going vf23 to at vf24?

ive heard the vf22 isnt as good..

Go with the vf22, best turbo in that range in regards to power wise next to vf34 I believe........ Everyone grabs vf22's when they come up for sale, a very popular turbo to get. Gives u room to move with future modifications. :)

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?topic=1569.0

Have a look through that.

Depends on what your after, with all of these Turbo being of the same frame with slight turbine and housing differences; they each give slightly different characteristics.

I wouldn't look at a VF24 with the VF23 giving more scope for power if you desire later on.

Nothing wrong with the VF22, this particular VF turbo will out flow both the 23 and 24.

WRXER said:

Go with the vf22, best turbo in that range in regards to power wise next to vf34 I believe........ Everyone grabs vf22's when they come up for sale, a very popular turbo to get. Gives u room to move with future modifications. :)

VF34 would get my money every time, particularly with the P20 modification.

thats good info.. Okey the vf24 is out...

How about a VF30 , I have found one at a reasonable price.

Or should I definatly Just stick to a vf22..

The car has factory STI exhaust and i dont think ill be spending the money upgrading at the mo...

in that case could the 30 work better ?

• 2 weeks later...

Heya all .. Motor is being fully rebuilt i will have it back in about a week .... I need to make a decesion ..

I am selling The vehicle on .. I can get a good vf22 for $500 and a Good td04 for $100 ..

Okey Both not Huge amounts of money But alongside paying on a engine rebuilt It all adds up

I have been advised That the TD04 will still go verry well and spool up quicker But not as much top end..

Can anyone advise .. Will I completly Kill the output and fun factor Of having a STI model ..

Or is using the TD04 still Going to give good power and be a suitable option..

**will It still peform like a STI?