Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2.0l turbo or 3.0l legacy??

axle117

My wife and I are in the market for a 2006 or later Legacy wagon and Im wanting people opinions on type.

It will either be the 3 litre or 2 litre turbo. It will be auto unfortunately, the wife wont drive manual.

Are there any pros or cons worth noting?? apart from the obvious cambelt of the 2.0 litre.

If you want to do it up a bit, go the 2L, has way more go fast potential

If it's going to be an unmodified cruiser, go the 3l, bit more "relaxed" sort of a drive but the same outright pace out of the box.

They literally make the exact same power to the wheels in stock auto form, they do *feel* different to drive but how much of it is placebo effect I dunno

As you have already noticed the other motors are a waste of time

axle117 said:
My wife and I are in the market for a 2006 or later Legacy wagon and Im wanting people opinions on type.

It will either be the 3 litre or 2 litre turbo. It will be auto unfortunately, the wife wont drive manual.

Are there any pros or cons worth noting?? apart from the obvious cambelt of the 2.0 litre.

Power and modification path if that's important. The 3.0R is slightly less than a 2.0 Turbo power wise (181KW vs 190KW), the 2.0 Turbo has great power potential with simple ECU Remap, Front pipe and Panel filter mod. Other than that the challenge will be finding something with kms < 100,000.

Last point, if you can get one with the McIntosh Sound System you'd be sorted for sounds. (great sounding stock system).

What is your budget and location so we can flick up some Trade Me links for ya.

I'm based in Auckland but traveling somewhere doesn't bother me.

In regards to towing, are they roughly the same torque figures or does the 3 litre trump?

$15k is our limit. We have a ton on our watch list so will be doing a few test drives this weekend.

• Admin
 axle117 said:
I'm based in Auckland but traveling somewhere doesn't bother me.

In regards to towing, are they roughly the same torque figures or does the 3 litre trump?

$15k is our limit. We have a ton on our watch list so will be doing a few test drives this weekend.

The 3.0 is the better tow car by a thousand miles, torque is there straight away unlike the 2.0 which has to be revved to a level I wouldn't be comfortable with towing at in order to get into the meat of the torque curve.

• Admin
 kwi_fozze said:
I have. Is nice. Can confirm very comfy.

Arse of it is a bit fat, definitely feel the wagon flex if you corner hard. Plan on tightening it up asap

You turned into sharp rising driveway in yours yet? There's enough flex in mine when its got most of the weight on one rear wheel to actually hear the plastic interior pieces in the boot moving around. Was quite suprised the first time it did it.

Handling wise they are not to bad (referring to 2003-2006 2.0GT or 3.0R), the Bilstiens in the Spec Bs are pretty solid for cornering at speed. If anything id make sure you first had good tyres and good brakes. but unless you were tracking the car, you wont get much out of the handling mods (ie underbracing, nolathane bushes, sway bars, end links, strut braces etc).

Extra power on the other hand can be way more useful in terms of overtaking, quick takes offs, and generally getting you out of hairy situations that involve the go pedal instead of the stop pedal.

Andy_Mac said:
You turned into sharp rising driveway in yours yet? There's enough flex in mine when its got most of the weight on one rear wheel to actually hear the plastic interior pieces in the boot moving around. Was quite suprised the first time it did it.

Get this every day - doesnt help having adjusties either lols

sobanoodle said:
Seriously?.. :D Have you done any of those mods to your own car or you just heard that somewhere?

Not denying those mods would make for a stunning handling cornering machine, but he did say his wife was driving it, and he doesn't sound like he is going to be throwing the car at corner at speeds well over the speed limit on public roads.

Driving a tuned Legacy myself the extra power is far more useful and the stock Bilsteins plenty capable for many of our twisty roads (ie Kaimais, Raglan run etc), given the $$$ sure id say do the lot, but given the choice between $1500 worth of handling mods, or ECU Remap and Exhaust, id take the power for a daily driver.

Yes i've also done the aforementioned mods to another car, and although great for handling it did make for a slightly less comfortable ride on NZ roads.