Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

To scrap or not to scrap

Lemon

Hi guys,

I've owned my yellow Legacy '97 GTB for about 1 1/2 years now, and the problems have been slowly building up, but as it was still passing warrants I didn't see the need to fix them (not safety issues, and I hate this car). These are the current problems:

• Airbag light ON - faulty wiring
  • Shocks ****ed due to crappy lowering springs on Christchurch roads (still passed warrants so can't have been that bad, but bottoms out constantly over any bump)
  • Leak in water system under intake manifold (somehow?) in such a cramped area I haven't bothered to fix it, just topped up and then flushed every 6months with 50/50 coolant
  • Piston rings and valve seals gone (blows blue smoke starting up and I'm sure it's losing compression through rings)
  • Eats oil due to the above + turbos
  • One cylinder experienced a fair amount of detonation when I was mad that it was ****ed after I bought it and didn't notice the unplugged coil (i know I'm retarded... I fixed it soon after)
  • This morning just found out the clutch is gone also (probably due to abuse while running on 3 with no power...), full gas in 4th at 3k RPM consistently slips when building boost
  • Twin turbo system is about as horrible as you would expect (huge lag when switching turbos, sticky actuators, laggy in general)
  • Its the horrendous off yellow factory Subaru colour

As far as the good points go, body is straight, still goes (I have to respect this), new tyres, somehow still handles mint and makes a decent amount of power.

I've got a warrant coming up next month and am wondering whether I should just cut my losses here and scrap it. Is it worth trying to fix these problems? If it helps, I have little to no mechanical experience besides oil/coolant/wheel replacements, so most if not all will have to be fixed at a shop.

I have the funds to buy a nice replacement already, so I think I'll follow your suggestion SpeedySub.

lachlan said:
I might buy it . I enjoy fiddling with crap like that . Is this the custard yellow ?

It's this colour (and model):

http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/BDBGlegacy/97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon/large/97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon.05.jpg

If you're serious, I would be happy to work something out (obviously!). Tbh I have no idea what it would be worth in this state though...

Oh yea cool . Ugh fkn yellow . Why can't it be blue . Or white . Um yea ive got most of the parts and half the intention to single turb one of these . And want something to fiddle . Ill chuck u a message at some stage .

That's what I meant, it's pretty bad lol. Although you don't see many canary yellow cars, so you'll at least stand out :P. I've heard single turbo conversions are the way to go with them too, I considered doing it but I don't have the skills..

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on my inbox.

In that condition you'd probably only get 1000-1500 for it, in parts your likely to get something around the same mark and it will take a lot longer plus you have to actually get hands dirty.

A lot of those faults are easily fixed imo, but scrapping a car can help you learn a lot if your that way inclined.

50/50

if it's a gtb with ej20r engine then single turbo conversion could be fun and easyish. Also helps hold value.

p.s blue smoke could be oil seeping from turbo and is commonish on older cars.

Compression test would go a long way to deciding what's best.

Pulling an engine to fix the clutch is pretty easy and only going to cost you maybe $750 including basic servicing of problematic areas. Problem is where do you stop with replacing things on an old tired car..

I've been meaning to get stuck in with working on a project car to learn for a while now, life keeps getting in the way tho and I've never had enough space either. Something I will definitely do in the future, just with a car that's a bit easier to work on hopefully :P

slystiguy said:
In that condition you'd probably only get 1000-1500 for it, in parts your likely to get something around the same mark and it will take a lot longer plus you have to actually get hands dirty.

A lot of those faults are easily fixed imo, but scrapping a car can help you learn a lot if your that way inclined.

50/50

if it's a gtb with ej20r engine then single turbo conversion could be fun and easyish. Also helps hold value.

p.s blue smoke could be oil seeping from turbo and is commonish on older cars.

Compression test would go a long way to deciding what's best.

Pulling an engine to fix the clutch is pretty easy and only going to cost you maybe $750 including basic servicing of problematic areas. Problem is where do you stop with replacing things on an old tired car..

$1000 complete was about what I was expecting/hoping for. I think I'll go with trying to sell for that price as I don't have the space/motivation atm for the DIY approach (the tired car part sticks in my mind too haha). Thanks for the help guys!