Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Spray painting some rims

funkytown

Guest itsgotgo
 funkytown said:

so i had a crack last weekend at painting the rims. 2 coats of white later and they were starting to look of for a home job, ive been out to touch them up now and then start applying the clear but they hvae gone mental, anything aplied to the wheels is just causing the applied paint to all just peel up and look totally ****.. :(

WHY?

looks like im gng to have to sand the WHOLE lot off and start again..

You should warm the paint and the rims to the same temp,warm paint and cold surface = orange peel.

paint will not apply well cold either.

To much temp difference will cause shabby results,if its a home job?

20 degrees plus is good and minimal moisture if possible. :)

funkytown said:

any easy way to strip the paint totally off these now? They look terrible now ive tried to retouch :(

:'( :'( :'(

On the cheap this stuff is the go I cant remember the price but from supercheap auto it does the job nicely, http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?item_cat=&item_number=454&page_num=7 BUT if your rims and tyres are on the car, mask off the tyre rubber before applying this with brush and wear protective gear (eyes and skin) this stuff will strip it to bare metal, Use a high pressure garden or water blaster to clean it all off, if you do it this way I would use a primer.

But you could probably just re sand them at 300git don't apply to much pressure it will leave grooves, just the lite even sand will be sweet. Most important is thoroughly clean every nook and cranny (not just the painted areas, but also any areas that dirt could be dislodged from while painting. (depends on how picky you are) Start with detergent, and follow that with a quality wax and grease remover on areas that will be painted.

After a thorough cleaning, mask off the area to avoid overspray. Do one more wipe-downs just prior to applying the primer coats. (On the cheap side, sanding at 300git you dont really need to primer the rims, as long as your rims has no or little damage it should be good enough, as the 300git will be enough for the colour coat / Duplicolor to adhere too) after a good clean and wipe down with a quality wax and grease remover, you can apply the Duplicolor, follow the instructions on the can, with drying times and clear coats and allow to dry / cure for 24 to 48 or longer, your done.

BUT if you wish to primer it go right ahead, it wont hurt, just more work.

In addition to applying coats of a quality primer (3-4 cost is fine, some do seven plus a guide coat in some cases, it depends on how you want to look and budget etc. etc)

Wet sanding of the primer is generally done with 400 to 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Use a bucket of warm clean water and a sponge to constantly rinse the area and the sandpaper.

your masking tape will or maybe be soaked and wet now, remove it, dry the area and mask it off again. When done, clean the rims thoroughly with clean water, and wipe the your rims dry to prevent contaminants in the water from being left on the primer.

apply the Duplicolor, follow the instructions on the can, with drying times and clear coats and allow to dry / cure for 24 to 48 or longer, your done.

------------

Tip is if you can get one these toys (not necessary, but helps) it will work with any spray can, turns it into a spraygun.

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/images/sub-1763-02.jpg

• 3 months later...

So ive stripped back my secktas to the original alloy and am ready for paint, ground them back so they look mint. I went to get some from super cheap today and the guy there said he had done a similar thing and the tyre putter on machine had chipped all the edges off.

Has anyone had luck painting without tyres on before and not getting heaps of chips/cracking?