Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru Legact GT JAMMED AND WONT MOVE

Hi guys, im interested to buy a Subaru Legacy 1995. It has a problem and apparantly needs a new gearbox (its a GT wagon 5 speed). Ive had a look at it and the symptoms are as follows. Cars starts and idle etc FINE. The car WILL NOT roll forward or back (wheels jammed in place). When you get into the car and put the clutch in, and move the stick into gear (you can move the shifter into all 5 gears as well as reverse). The moment you start to release the clutch, the car wont move and will just stall.

Has ayone experienced this before? And would it likely be the Rear Diff, Front Diff, or something inside the gearbox? They said a mechanic told them it needs a new gearbox? Thanks

There is no grinding as you release the clutch. The revs just drop and it stalls, like your trying to drive away and the handbrake is hard on. Sorry I have not had a chance to jack it up yet. Also the gearstick has alot of slop, but still selects all the gears, not sure if thats just the connecting rod bush or inside the box. :S Cheers

even if you give it some sauce and force it a little? Course you wouldnt want to do it to hard.

How long has the car been sitting?

Does it feel like it squats down (if the hand brake is on).. ie therefore some movement through the drive train. Or total nothing and stalls?

Sorry i meant grind itself to stall.. as in just it just run outa revs slowly the more you release the clutch until it dies. not actual "grinding".

Haha nah didnt give it too much 'sauce', as I didnt want to HAVE to buy it on the spot then and there if I made anything worse :P Doesnt feel like it even attampts to move, or squat, just dies.

Its obviously not a common problem, as lots of searching brings up lot of crap. I wasnt there, but I was told that it happened when she was driving or at or something to do with an intersection and required a flat bed truck to be towed home. Cheers

Hi there, no the car doesnt tow in neutral either. I AM hoping for a blown centre diff though, cause I THINK this can be removed from the car without removing the gearbox? AND it would also be a good time to get the centre diff welded up and capping the front CVs etc. (im not interested into getting into a debate that a Subaru HAS to be AWD, I LOVE Subaru, but for everything except the AWD, Id be VERY happy to have another Subaru that isnt AWD, ive had a couple of RWD subars and they were alot of fun. Cheers

i dont think you got to take the box out, havnt done it myself but was reading a rwd conversion thread and said you can do it with the box in

id be checking if it squats and/or jacking up and checkng to see if any wheels can move

Guest boostin
 boostcut said:

how can you possibly tow a car with wheels locked up??? did his mate tow it with a hummer ?

Dollies and tow truck?? ???

Hi if anyone is still interested in the actual post ;)

I have been to see the car tonight, had all four wheels jacked up off the ground, all the wheels spin. The rears spin opposite dirrections, so that says to me that the rear diff is ok? The front wheels spin, with the opposite wheel spinning the opposite direction as it should, although the fronts feel a little stiffer to spin, but can still be done by hand. When the engine is running, and the wheels off the ground, the moment you start to release the clutch, the engine dies.

Is it still possible that it is the centre diff ?

Or a new idea is a collapsed clutch ? :S

Guest boostcut

just hold it on limiter then side step the clutch. if it breaks more then just take the keys out and throw them as hars as you can into a bush and run away