Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Who has fitted an EJ207 short block to their car to then have it blow up??

Guest boostin

Guest boostin

Just a quick survey to see how many have run a bearing after fitting the so-called bullet proof EJ207 (Version 7) short block to their GC8, BH5 etc.

I want actual examples, not "I think so and so's did it...", and please no double up's.

Can you also please say what the heads used are from, eg. EJ206 heads on the V7 short block.

Not just bearings but nipped up pistons.

IMO i see no other reason for an ej207 to run a bearing other than #1 det and #2 the reason for the first engine failure or the resulting damage(debris) wasn't fixed.

Guest boostin

Its detonation that I'm looking at. I'm picking that everyone is using genuine Subaru gaskets too, making the compression stupidly high, then as soon as you get even the smallest amount of det, big ends say thanks for coming, see you later!!

i too am interested in this thread as i have sold anywhere from 15-20 of these shortblocks over the last 4 years since i discovered them and not one of these have ever come back.

such vehicles i know ive sold to have been

- atleast 2 bc legacys

- 2 SF5 foresters

- atleast 1 twin turbo

- mostly gc impreza's

- atleast 2 gc rallys up north

- and even 2 ver7 sti's (one being a targa rally car)

- (even a top level NZRC campaigner buys these and uses them for the parts)

surely someone must have bought one and not bolted it together properly and blown it up?

Guest boostin
 readosnr said:

i too am interested in this thread as i have sold anywhere from 15-20 of these shortblocks over the last 4 years since i discovered them and not one of these have ever come back.

such vehicles i know ive sold to have been

- atleast 2 bc legacys

- 2 SF5 foresters

- atleast 1 twin turbo

- mostly gc impreza's

- atleast 2 gc rallys up north

- and even 2 ver7 sti's (one being a targa rally car)

- (even a top level NZRC campaigner buys these and uses them for the parts)

surely someone must have bought one and not bolted it together properly and blown it up?

No, it seems V7 combustion chamber is mainly in the head, whereas pre-V7 was partly in the piston, partly in the head. When they're bolted together with Subaru gaskets the compression is too high. They haul a$$ for a while, but end up blowing another BEB.

Well...

Car is a Ver5 STi RA, Apart from a 3inch turbo back exhaust is completely standard.

First bought the car about 2 years ago, had a EJ207 block fitted 7000kms before I bought it. Reason for original engine going was he wound the boost right up on a faulty AFM apparently. Anyway he replaced AFM etc and I have reciepts for it.

Anywho 3 days after I bought the car, another BEB caused by what Sublab said was another faulty AFM (never threw a code, or felt like it was running odd). Showed big Det on one piston. Got it all fixed up, new AFM and a new EJ207 Block.

Going all good, ran it in on manifold pressure up to 1000kms. At 1500kms (about the first time I took it past 5000rpm) I did another BEB. Sublab replaced under warrenty and said they 'think' that one of the bores was never honed when it was built. So they fixed it all up and put a new EJ207 block in once again.

Now heres the odd one...About 3 months ago it happened again (10,000 odd kms). Sublab pulled apart to check and see if it was under warrenty, they said it wasn't. Said there was no reason that they could find that would of caused this to happen. Showed big Det on one piston again.

Note: Allways ran on 95 Octane (No 98 where I live) with octain boost that brought it up to 99-100 Octane so shouldn't be a fuel issue. Besides the first engine, it allways ran Factory boost which showed 14-15psi on boost guage, never went past it ever. Never really 'thrashed' it that I can think of.

Guest boostin
 Dv8er - FSTWRX said:

Well...

Car is a Ver5 STi RA, Apart from a 3inch turbo back exhaust is completely standard.

First bought the car about 2 years ago, had a EJ207 block fitted 7000kms before I bought it. Reason for original engine going was he wound the boost right up on a faulty AFM apparently. Anyway he replaced AFM etc and I have reciepts for it.

Anywho 3 days after I bought the car, another BEB caused by what Sublab said was another faulty AFM (never threw a code, or felt like it was running odd). Showed big Det on one piston. Got it all fixed up, new AFM and a new EJ207 Block.

Going all good, ran it in on manifold pressure up to 1000kms. At 1500kms (about the first time I took it past 5000rpm) I did another BEB. Sublab replaced under warrenty and said they 'think' that one of the bores was never honed when it was built. So they fixed it all up and put a new EJ207 block in once again.

Now heres the odd one...About 3 months ago it happened again (10,000 odd kms). Sublab pulled apart to check and see if it was under warrenty, they said it wasn't. Said there was no reason that they could find that would of caused this to happen. Showed big Det on one piston again.

Note: Allways ran on 95 Octane (No 98 where I live) with octain boost that brought it up to 99-100 Octane so shouldn't be a fuel issue. Besides the first engine it allways ran Factory boost which showed 14-15psi on boost guage, never went past it ever. Never really 'thrashed' it that I can think of.

Damn!! 4 of them??!! Was it always the same cylinder??

I never got to see the 1st (original) engine or the one that apparently never had one bore honed. But other then that Yes i'm 99% sure they were all the same piston. Can't remember which one it was right now, I just remember checking a while back and finding it interesting it was the same one. There in a shed somewhere with the number scratched in, will check next time i'm out there.

STiLtd run one after 800km.

Poor construction i think it came down to.

That was wtih v5 heads

Also his mate in hamilton put one in and run one in about the same time. That was a v4 jdm wrx with vf22 etc..Note of which the original enigne and heads had done 180km and didnt run a bearing was just replaced to give a freshen up...

Trying to think who else has run one there has been a few

Had a EJ207 block put in my old RSB, which i then converted to single turbo(with VF22, FMIC, exhaust, boost controller, intake as mods- 190kw atw) Drove it for 20000km without missing a beat at all so must be existing faults that kill them otherwise, imo theyre a solid unit, alot better than earlier EJ20's.

DV8ER

I would be checking your complete fuel system, pump, filter, injectors & reg, and to check your pump you need to do a fuel flow check with the fuel reg pumped up to 14psi.

Why because its easy to do even with the engine out but also to eliminate them as the fault.

Note; the Factory pumps get very tired but might not die straight away.

It could also be caused by sh#t fuel from a gas station that has contaminated tanks.

The 95 from some stations has been tested at around only 91 octane.

So unless you have checked all this stuff the you can not eliminate the fueling.

Sorry to get off the topic but i am also looking at doing this engine conversion so am very interested in this topic.

98WRX (PEASANT RACING) said:

DV8ER

I would be checking your complete fuel system, pump, filter, injectors & reg, and to check your pump you need to do a fuel flow check with the fuel reg pumped up to 14psi.

Why because its easy to do even with the engine out but also to eliminate them as the fault.

Note; the Factory pumps get very tired but might not die straight away.

It could also be caused by sh#t fuel from a gas station that has contaminated tanks.

The 95 from some stations has been tested at around only 91 octane.

So unless you have checked all this stuff the you can not eliminate the fueling.

Sorry to get off the topic but i am also looking at doing this engine conversion so am very interested in this topic.

They apparently checked the fuel system last time, but im pretty sure that didn't involve an injector flow test. Filter was done a few 1000kms ago too.

As I said earlier, injectors are gone now so can't test them, but would of been interesting to know though.

Oh well it's pretty much an all new fuel system now so should be good haha. Got a 500hp Walbro aswell now.

• 2 weeks later...

the only v7 blowing up i know of was leaning out on #3 piston based on the serial fuel delivery of the factory lines..

best to keep a parallel rail setup from the begining 8)

anyway, they seem to be strong from what i have seen as compared from the older motors...

My V4 sti type R had a EJ207 put in by previous owner about 30k kms ago and goes mint, is completely standard though.

Did have some flecks of metal in sump plug first oil change i owned it, guessing it was from the previous destruction not cleaned properly.

I blew up my dads RSK-b4 legacy about 2 years ago, melted the sparkplugs etc, wasn't even going that hard, apparently the AFM was dodgy.

Dave