Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rebuild costs / source crate motor?

DFK32

2008 2.0  STI

cam belt left the chat and now no compression. haven't cracked the motor yet so unsure of piston damage but short was rebuilt 23xxx ago so hopefully no damage.

assuming no bottom end damage, what kind of pricing should I accept for the work? 

Hodge motors in Taranaki soft quoted around 7k for all stock parts and labor. seems like a lot of money for 10/14 hours of labor as recommended by Subaru. 

PBMS Quoted around 14k for fully forged internals, meaning a full rebuild not just the Head work. seems like way more bang for buck there....

On a side note where the f*** can I buy a crate replacement from a trusted vendor?

5k in 2014 was normal rebuild price with just rings and bearings.

there’s a good chunk of cost pulling and refitting motor that won’t be in forged build price. Just assembly would be 7k in labour.

You can also waste time and cost measuring up and washing all the old parts on rebuilds. Most places will still strip the bottom end for inspection as you already know the valves hit the pistons.

forged is 3k for rods and pistons which you can add to any build.

For forged you also spending 7k more for the same power unless you plan on more power. Then you really want ported heads on the list so that adds $$$

What are you calling a crate motor? Even secondhand unchecked ones are 7k range

• Admin

If the rebuild was 23kk ago how come the cambelt's let go already, please tell me someone didn't rebuilt the shortblock and slap the same belt back on...

Pistons are probably fine unless you smacked a valve so hard the head of it came off and bounced around the chamber for a while, in which case the block is probably toast too. We bought a motor that had seized the cambelt (when the chassis rail hit the cam pulley, lol) and the head itself and pistons were ok, just needed valves.

10/14 hours labour feels pretty light for engine out and rebuild heads? But then the parts cost shouldn't be massive either.

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, boon said:

If the rebuild was 23kk ago how come the cambelt's let go already, please tell me someone didn't rebuilt the shortblock and slap the same belt back on...

Pistons are probably fine unless you smacked a valve so hard the head of it came off and bounced around the chamber for a while, in which case the block is probably toast too. We bought a motor that had seized the cambelt (when the chassis rail hit the cam pulley, lol) and the head itself and pistons were ok, just needed valves.

10/14 hours labour feels pretty light for engine out and rebuild heads? But then the parts cost shouldn't be massive either.

that’s what I was thinking. That’s not a decent check over and measure everything job in that amount of time, more of an autonomous replace the bare minimum.

Even for someone who does it every day there’s quite a few hrs in removal and reinstall, but you could do that yourself and save a decent chunk of cash

• Like 1