Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

neutral switch problem, WTF? + engine misses when boost kicks in

THUNDA

Hey all

Finally got around to checking my check engine light

when starting the car is flashes check engine 5times quickly, indicating #5 fault code

then there is a pause, then it just repeats

I cannot find the fault code on the fault code chart as it just starts with #11

also another fault code im getting after driving around for awhile is #51

this indicates "Neutral switch (manual transmission) constantly on"

how could i remedy this fault i.e; where is the neutral switch? on clutch pedal?

Those 5 flashes don't mean jack. You need to have the diagnostic plugs connected to get anything meaningful out of it. Do that first and come back to us.

i got codes #51 and #24

#51 = neutral switch (not worried about this)

#24 = Air control valve or circuit - wtf is an air control valve? do they mean throttle body?

i just wanna get this sussed as my trademe auction finishes on thursday and i need it working mint!

its doing a weird missing thing when boost comes on, i thought it was coil packs, one was failing so i replaced it and it worked sweet for a few days but now the same thing is happening :(

boostin said:

You need to fix both faults. Your misfire is probably a result of the faulty neutral switch.

Air control valve = idle speed controller.

also, how would a nuetral switch cause missfire? it says mine is constantly on, meaning the clutch is always depressed as my car starts without depressing the clutch.

it has always been like this since ive owned the car and its only just recently started missing when on boost.

The neutral switch has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch. I'm not going to explain again how it all works. Use the search function or google it. You need to fix it anyway. End of story.

btw put new platnum plugs in and replaced a dud coil pack

could this just been a coil pack problem? i/e; another failing coil pack?

the tricky thing is the car runs fine on idle and while driving, so checking coilpacks it difficult, it only misses when boost reaches about 5psi

arggggg

it has also read an o2 sensor code once but i removed it and cleaned it with a wire brush and now it doesnt bring that code up

have also now replace idle controll valve but hasnt made a difference

THUNDA said:

i got codes #51 and #24

#51 = neutral switch (not worried about this)

#24 = Air control valve or circuit - wtf is an air control valve? do they mean throttle body?

i just wanna get this sussed as my trademe auction finishes on thursday and i need it working mint!

its doing a weird missing thing when boost comes on, i thought it was coil packs, one was failing so i replaced it and it worked sweet for a few days but now the same thing is happening :(

An idle air control valve is an electronic motor which adjust idle speed.

The IAC valve is usually mounted to the throttle body somewhere dont know on your car

. Some cars don't have IAC valves (lame),

instead they have a mass air flow sensor. An IAC valve is used by the computer to change the amount of air flow bla bla bla.

An idle air control valve is a three wire system.

It consist of a five volt wire, a ground wire, and a sense wire something like that

five volt wire is used with the ground wire to move the IAC motor.

The sense wire is a direct line for the computer

The position of the valve in or out is know as steps.

The computer reads the steps and compares that information to the current idle speed of the engine. It can then determine how much to increase or decrease the engine idle speed.. bal bal bal

THUNDA said:

i gathered that :) yeah ive already replaced it but its still missing when boost comes on

Be a coil pack or spark plug that's on its way out, can't handle the boost / load so its blows out the spark hence the miss... replace one coil at time till you find the one that gone..

Yup, neutral switch will cause ISC trouble code.

Neither ISC nor neutral switch though will cause the miss on boost. Fix the neutral switch problem and the ISC code will probably be nothing. Tune the motor and the miss will probably stop.

Since you don't seem to be able to understand what people are telling you though, you should probably just book it in somewhere to have the work done for you or you will end up wasting a lot of money.

log1call said:

Since you don't seem to be able to understand what people are telling you though, you should probably just book it in somewhere to have the work done for you or you will end up wasting a lot of money.

maybe i have missed what someone has said ?

i have followed what people have said clearly

today i replace the whole ICV unit (not just the bit the plug plugs into (abc thingy) now ICV code doesnt come up

every now and then i get an o2 sensor code, so i took the o2 sensor out and gave it a clean with a wire brush, it hasnt sprung a code again yet

so now im getting no codes, just missing under boost

ive replaced 2 coil packs, 2 are still factory, but i just realised====

i didnt gap the new spark plugs when i put them in -_- omg im a turd nugget lol

whats the recommended gap for bc5 rs legacy? ill look it up on the net now but if anyone knows it off hand post it uppp

THUNDA']

[quote name='log1call said:

/quote]

maybe i have missed what someone has said ?

i have followed what people have said clearly

today i replace the whole ICV unit (not just the bit the plug plugs into (abc thingy) now ICV code doesnt come up

every now and then i get an o2 sensor code, so i took the o2 sensor out and gave it a clean with a wire brush, it hasnt sprung a code again yet

so now im getting no codes, just missing under boost

ive replaced 2 coil packs, 2 are still factory, but i just realised====

i didnt gap the new spark plugs when i put them in -_- omg im a turd nugget lol

whats the recommended gap for bc5 rs legacy? ill look it up on the net now but if anyone knows it off hand post it uppp

Pretty sure its 0.8

o yup, i might whip the desk lamp out and extension cord and work on the sub tonight

my auction just closed on trademe @ 1800$ but have about 3people comming around tomorrow arvo with 2800 - 3200$ offers so it should sell it i suss this problem, otherwise i think i just keep it for a few more months, i know im just gonna miss driving it and buy another one in a couple months anyway lol