engine problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikesti

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mealz']

[quote name='Mealz said:

Yea was thinking about that.. they're like $3500 arnt they?

/quote]

$1600.

$1600 for a fresh closed deck possum bourne short block?? I dont think so ae! :-/

The kit is about that. The complete blueprinted longblock, NO.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Engines/auction-260417496.htm

Y'all need heads to go with that. :)

It's not about who makes it, it's about how much power it makes. i gurantee you a honda, mitsi, subie or toyota etc that only makes 90 HP at the crank will be a reliable car for a LONG time. My AU liberty LX... 2.2N/A is at 300,000K's now, and still running. Are toyota's that blast around with 206 KW really more reliable?

Also... ^^ PBMS shorties are WIN. mines still going perfectly at 25,000k's, and i give it hell.

Guest boostcut

i had a 4age ae92 that i built a motor for, knife edged crank, decked block, ccd heads, mega porting, huge 9.8mm lift cams, quad throttles and a megasquirt ecu, made 160kw at the fronts and was the single most unreliable car I or anyone i met while i owned it had seen. seeya gearboxes 3 in 1 month enough?

Mealz']

[quote name='Mealz said:

Yea was thinking about that.. they're like $3500 arnt they?

/quote]

$1600.

$1600 for a fresh closed deck possum bourne short block?? I dont think so ae! :-/

WRX/FORESTER ENGINE

Fully rebuilt short block by Possum Bourne Motorsport.

Our Price: $1850.00

PERFORMANCE ENGINE

WRX short block built by Possum Bourne Motorsport.

Our Price: $3800.00

Apologies anyone?

From what i've seen on the track - the hondas are faster and more reliable than the average subaru

I remember an s2000 beating a wrx sti spec C ra at the track at taupo.

Of course the spec c was on its second engine by then :P

Most of the subbies i have seen crash at pukey was castro corner into the tyres.

But one Legacy did fail to stop on the back straight - again into the tyres

ReubenH said:

It's not about who makes it, it's about how much power it makes. i gurantee you a honda, mitsi, subie or toyota etc that only makes 90 HP at the crank will be a reliable car for a LONG time. My AU liberty LX... 2.2N/A is at 300,000K's now, and still running. Are toyota's that blast around with 206 KW really more reliable?

Also... ^^ PBMS shorties are WIN. mines still going perfectly at 25,000k's, and i give it hell.

Bit of BS here. Ever heard of a Supra...? The 2J is a perfect example of making an engine that makes excellent power and is reliable as hell.

And yes PBMS engines MAY be good. But you cant really talk given its a road car, so saying you give an engine hell for 25,000km is rather misleading....

Munkvy said:

Bit of BS here. Ever heard of a Supra...? The 2J is a perfect example of making an engine that makes excellent power and is reliable as hell.

And yes PBMS engines MAY be good. But you cant really talk given its a road car, so saying you give an engine hell for 25,000km is rather misleading....

Just to back that up; The 2JZ is the most strongest factory performance engine out of Japan, it was the Americans who first screwed 600hp out of them with just bolt on modifications. And more HP has been seen since.

PBMS are just offering a tried and true short block, anybody whos had experience with Subarus can build one of these.

Not knocking them at all, but they are just a name, not a guarantee.

Guest boostin
 BC5RA']

[quote name='boostin said:

From what I hear the RB26DETT is above average too....

/quote]

And you would be right, but not in the same league as the 2JZ.

Comparing stock to stock here.

I know which I'd rather have modified.

Yeah I guess. My choice would be a GTR. Each to their own though....

boostin']

[quote name='boostin said:

From what I hear the RB26DETT is above average too....

/quote]

And you would be right, but not in the same league as the 2JZ.

Comparing stock to stock here.

I know which I'd rather have modified.

Yeah I guess. My choice would be a GTR. Each to their own though....

My choice too ;)

I suppose the big differences here are that these engines are larger displacement 6cyl's, not 2L 4 cyls. I would assume they are under allot less stress than the 4-bangers

I do love the straight 6's. I wish subaru would get their act together and make a tough turbo H6... that'll be the day...