Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FMIC

wildturkey

I did a serach but can't find answers to these.........

What's considered the normal width of a front mount intercooler?........i noticed many of them on TM are 76mm......is this the optimum width?

What's considered too wide before it seriously affects the air going onto the radiator?......100mm........120mm?

When it comes to FMIC's .......is bigger better or is there some formula for working out what size FMIC I'll need...........89RS leggy

Id be keeping it reasonably small, mine is 290x600x76 and I wouldn't go any bigger. Have seen plenty of WRX's with bigger ones than mine and laggy as a mofo, thats with all the long pipes also.

mine is 600*300*100. seems to go alright and certainly goes heaps better than my TMIC.

Joe you've been in my car and it has Sweet f all lag.

you could add in dicussion here about the types of FMIC, bar and plate or fin and (cant remember what) and also the length and route for piping.

funkytown said:

mine is 600*300*100. seems to go alright and certainly goes heaps better than my TMIC.

Joe you've been in my car and it has Sweet f all lag.

you could add in dicussion here about the types of FMIC, bar and plate or fin and (cant remember what) and also the length and route for piping.

I would have to drive it to see what the lag is cause u cant really tell as a passenger right?? ;) ;) ;)

Tube and fin...........yep done some reading on that one. As for piping route I'll be keeping it as short as possible. I have a shit load of room in the front of the leggy once the waic radiator comes out so i dont see any probs fitting a 600x300x76 in there. Was a bit worried about the frontal impact regulations in case I had to do some cutting but after speaking to the cert guy.............those regs apparently mostly apply to post 1996 cars.

STi-TypeR said:

Id be keeping it reasonably small, mine is 290x600x76 and I wouldn't go any bigger. Have seen plenty of WRX's with bigger ones than mine and laggy as a mofo, thats with all the long pipes also.

cheers for that..........yep seems that's a fairly good size to have

Its said you only want a maximum of 3" width overwise you will not get any cooling airflow thru the cooler.

And of course it ain't going to help the poor radiator behind it.

I would run 2.5" piping in and out unless you are running stupid amounts of power.

I have a 600x300x76 on my V4 Sti and it's actually too tall, it hangs under the front bumper. 600x280x76 would be better.

2.5" piping and a 600x280x76 would be my pick. That would support 300kw atw which is more than enough fun for most people.

Here is a nice set up; yes, i know its a legacy but near enough.

Taken this for a drive and it was BRUTAL.

DSCF5834aLarge-1.jpg

DSCF5835aLarge.jpg

DSCF5848aLarge.jpg

DSCF5844aLarge.jpg

DSCF5840aLarge.jpg

DSCF5838aLarge.jpg

DSCF5839aLarge.jpg

DSCF5837aLarge.jpg

Had custom extractors made to mount turbo at the back, no subbie rumble though.

Also, the scoop directs a nice flow of cold air directly onto the turbo...

DRFVDR said:

I seen a setup like this AGES ago,The guy who runs/ran First Automotive in Palmerston North built a couple of them

does look nice :)

Yes, this is a Rob from 1st Automotive job. It's STINKY's old car...

In fact, the pics were taken out the back of the workshop.

99% sure he said it had std internals, not sure on injector size, maybe yellows? if i remember.

20PSI and it had been running with no problems for years...

DPI']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

I seen a setup like this AGES ago,The guy who runs/ran First Automotive in Palmerston North built a couple of them

/quote]

Yes, this is a Rob from 1st Automotive job. It's STINKY's old car...

In fact, the pics were taken out the back of the workshop.

99% sure he said it had std internals, not sure on injector size, maybe yellows? if i remember.

20PSI and it had been running with no problems for years...

well that's really encouraging for people like me running the std RS engine.......I've never seen that turbo setup b4 and it looks like a bit more work to do but obviously works well.

Swindog']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

/quote]

Yeah, Robs the man with a Soobie!

Yeah, well, he was... :'(

Gave it up, sold his business and moved to Taupo now...

Shame, he was my mechanic for about 6 years. Farkin knowledgable (was trained by subaru), and honest (not something you find often in a subaru mechanic)...

He used to organise WRC trips for him, his mechanics and customers...(awesome trips, bottles and bottles of Coruba and plenty of sunburn)...

Different t-shirts printed every year:

Rally3Large.jpg

Drinks and funny hats...

rally1Large.jpg

Who do they support again?

Rally5Large.jpg

Bit of fun:

Rally4Large.jpg

Early Sunday morning, lots of mist around...took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of the officials area...we got waved through as we all had Subaru gear on and in a white 4x4, like the officials... :D

Rally2Large.jpg

Erelyes said:

I would run 2.5" piping in and out unless you are running stupid amounts of power.

I have a 600x300x76 on my V4 Sti and it's actually too tall, it hangs under the front bumper. 600x280x76 would be better.

2.5" piping and a 600x280x76 would be my pick. That would support 300kw atw which is more than enough fun for most people.

is that 2.5 to the inlet and 2.5 out of the outlet up to the throttle body?

funkytown said:

most Vf and TD are2 or 2 1/4 i think (outlet), and 2 3/4 into the trottle body.

Intercoolers inlets would vary i guess depending on what you got

yeah i meant intercooler piping.........I see variations in wots being used........in some setups I see 2 1/2" all the way..........or 2 1/2" to the IC inlet then 3" from the IC outlet to the throttle body.........or even 3" in and 3" out............what piping combo is gona give the best flow?