Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Adding sound deadening to GD Impreza

gemini

Lol I'm more one to toss the dry ice in and slap the deadening with a hammer.

A good stereo is a fantastic start - if you get some really mint speakers go to with, you don't need to weigh down the car any further.

Something that plays bass well. Doesn't even need to be a sub, let alone a 12" monster; I've seen some 6" parcel tray speakers cough out some amazing depth. Fill in the rest with some decent tweeters, and all the sound you lose with road noise returns.

I found when I had my big ricey Alpine Type R in the back of the sedan (I know, WTF) there were no road noise issues, exhaust drone in the cabin issues... but that's not going back in that car, a small flat 8" installed very subtly however just might.

• General Member

half a hacksaw blade in a Saws-all is extremely effective - none of that dry ice crap

wear goggles

BUT I think OP wants to add it - not remove, who does Dyna-mat these days? I assume ANY good stereo store..

Whereabouts are you? Dynamat Extreme is the best but it's fairly expensive. If you have hookups at Repco, then staff rates on the DMX kits are about as good as you'll get.

What areas are you looking at SD'ing? If you have speakers in the front doors, then you should do the outer panels, behind the speakers for a start. So when you tap on the door from the outside, it sounds a bit more solid. A GD is a sedan correct? If you are going to have a subwoofer, then you should also do the rear trunk lid. This will stop that vibrating a bit. Also put a bit of rubber, or some rubber washers behind your rear number plate to stop that rattling. If you have a spoiler that may rattle also so if you can, remove it and put a thin lining of rubber between the wing and the lid, to stop that vibrating.

The next best thing is either Bostik or Fusion, which you should be able to get from any Car Audio store, or maybe Repco sells Fusion as well? This stuff is made of bitumen and requires a heat gun to bend and mould around the panels.

And I think that SD is required more so, if you have expensive speakers. If you've spent a lot of money on speakers, the last thing you want is it ruined by road noise.

There is another product by Dynamat, called Dynamat Lite. It has the same dampening properties of DMX, but at half the weight. Still costs the same though.

Shale said:

Lol I'm more one to toss the dry ice in and slap the deadening with a hammer.

A good stereo is a fantastic start - if you get some really mint speakers go to with, you don't need to weigh down the car any further.

Something that plays bass well. Doesn't even need to be a sub, let alone a 12" monster; I've seen some 6" parcel tray speakers cough out some amazing depth. Fill in the rest with some decent tweeters, and all the sound you lose with road noise returns.

I found when I had my big ricey Alpine Type R in the back of the sedan (I know, WTF) there were no road noise issues, exhaust drone in the cabin issues... but that's not going back in that car, a small flat 8" installed very subtly however just might.

What does this have to do with the original question?

Keep it on topic please.

It has plenty to do with the original question, in a somewhat abstract way. Just because it's not literal doesn't mean it's off-topic. To quote a rather gory adage; there is more than one way to skin a cat. Likewise, there are multiple ways to 'better appreciate' the output of a decent stereo.

I filled out thoughts on the road roar. Others filled in about dynamat.

You can either enhance the quality of the stereo's output by introducing speakers that counteract the effect of road roar (ie: the bits you lose, like bass and treble at the extreme end) and not lose out to weight, our you can try and lessen the roar itself by adding weight with sound deadening.

If the OP doesn't want to hear about alternatives that others have tried, then he is free to say so.