Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best block/head/cam combination?

Ryan

I'm going to build another forged engine for my STi V2, so far looking at a closed deck block with version 4 heads and probably version 4 cams, using the phase one intake manifold. Can anyone else recommend a better combination (that will bolt strait on)? e.g. version 3 heads with version 4 cams etc, or version 4 heads with aftermarket cams.

there has been talk of v4 cams being better than v3 cams recently. that info came from franklin cams which thought v5 cams were v4. In reality, v3 = v4. Or at least i havent seen a genuine v3/4 cam comparison as yet. As i havent seen any marked differences between v3 and 4 heads on the same or similar setups im going to continue assuming they are the same.

Sorry to hijack

Whats the goes with a ver5 i was thinking about selling up and getting an sti but have decided i like my wrx just the way it is but i want to build a reliable engine package basically.

i'm saving at the mo i will most likely get a link 1st top remove the afm then go to pbms for a bottom end then just switch over my the rest from my package.

I was also told if i was going to get a link 1st why not get a 2nd hand ver7 sti motor for the transfer as they are the last of the forged internals and are good for 230kw atw with just an exhaust but i'm not 100% sure with going 2nd hand and is the power figure correct?.

Does anyone know if pbms offer warranty's on there engines?

Ver 7 will need a reflash to safely do 210-220 with intake / exhaust. More with supporting mods, intercooler etc.

They can make good power without too much done to them. Mindu they need as they are heavier.

PBMS or any engine builder can give a warrenty on an engine but if you have the engine detonating due to bad fuel, mods, maintence etc - its not going to cover that.

2nd hand engine is like a second hand car - how knows. But later engine are pretty good and even if they do blow after a while a good starting point for a rebuild.

If i were you i'd get ver 5 or 6 Sti heads to go with a new engine build, if your spending all that $$ you may as well make a good engine. Sell your old long block to cover costs