Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Converting to Wasted Spark

Guest lan_killa

Hmm, thanks for that. I keep forgetting to hook up a multi meter and check. I should probably actually just buy a multimeter :P

I'm also pretty sure of that too, i just dug up an old e-mail confirming.

So, i'm 80% sure this is correct:

coils-2.jpg

And if you don't want a new ignitor, would this be correct?

coils-3.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVILRS said:

I have already done this on a facelift bc5 legacy so I know it works. I would probably sell the harnesses for $80 and the more people interested the cheaper I can do them. Im a mechanic myself so I understand whats needs to be done to get it to work and im happy to help out if ppl are having any trouble. I can also supply wasted spark coils and leads if required.

yeah we were trying it out on a bc5. maybe we got something wrong?

what way did you do your one?

SPANKU']

[quote name='EVILRS said:

I have already done this on a facelift bc5 legacy so I know it works. I would probably sell the harnesses for $80 and the more people interested the cheaper I can do them. Im a mechanic myself so I understand whats needs to be done to get it to work and im happy to help out if ppl are having any trouble. I can also supply wasted spark coils and leads if required.

/quote]

Agreed, We tried doing this on my car, but it never worked, we have compression, fuel, just no spark in our case

why not just do the bosch conversion, ok it cost a little bit but one you install in properly its 100% reliable, and supports as much power as you want. one of the best mods i ever did to my bf5. allowed me to run 1.1mm gaps and never missed a beat

EJ20T said:

why not just do the bosch conversion, ok it cost a little bit but one you install in properly its 100% reliable, and supports as much power as you want. one of the best mods i ever did to my bf5. allowed me to run 1.1mm gaps and never missed a beat

bosch conversion?? (some details please)

4 seprate bosch coils mounted in the engine bay and HT leads to your sparkplugs, It does seem alot easier than trying to figure out a wasted spark setup.

I'm looking for some LS1 holden coils for when I get my link down the track, I wonder if you could use those as well??

They're prooving hard to find second hand, but when I do I suspect i'll have to buy all 8 of them

Guest boostin
 Bazza-NZ']

[quote name='EVILRS said:

/quote]

Agreed, We tried doing this on my car, but it never worked, we have compression, fuel, just no spark in our case

When I did mine it was near impossible to start, and seemed like a lack of spark. Once I had it going it ran fine however. I pulled it all back out as it was just too hard to start.

Guest boostin
 ReubenH said:

So how are they working fine on camerons car, and matts car? and AFIAK, those are using the original ignitors also.

Dunno....

It wasn't the coil as I tried 3.

Guest boostin
 ReubenH said:

Well, his issues were with the 6S, not the coil pack. Cause with matt's car, it worked fine and first pop.

Well I did both at once, and had issues from the start, so it could be either I suppose. It was wired incorrectly to run the COP as waste spark though, so I couldn't try it like that.

Stoffa said:

4 seprate bosch coils mounted in the engine bay and HT leads to your sparkplugs, It does seem alot easier than trying to figure out a wasted spark setup.

I'm looking for some LS1 holden coils for when I get my link down the track, I wonder if you could use those as well??

They're prooving hard to find second hand, but when I do I suspect i'll have to buy all 8 of them

I priced up Bosch HEC-716 Coils at a trade price and it was gonna cost about $70 each, so that put me off the idea of the Bosch conversion :( I just cant justify that when thats the cost of entry fee and fuel for a gravel sprint.

Bazza-NZ']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

bosch conversion?? (some details please)

my legacy has had a bosch conversion on 2 of the coils, the other 2 are yet to be done, they seem really good, and cheaper than factory coil on plug coils. i priced up some the other week when thinking of doing the remaining 2, i can get them for $50plus gst each.

without some form of output protection (internal or otherwise) you cannot just add the output from either the ecu or the igniter.

basically the output from these devices is either being held high or low. shorting outputs in different states (high or low) puts quite a strain on the circuitry as it works against itself

its a little hard to explain this in simple terms - but just because an output is not at +12 doesnt mean its not doing anything.

a simple solution would be to use some diodes, but these introduce a set voltage drop per diode - without testing i'm not sure if this is another problem or not. its likely some Schottky diodes would be ok though as the forward voltage drop is only about 0.3V

then again less drive + not enough dwell timing may render the setup useless

the very best option to get this to work is not getting the right combination of connections, but a dedicated circuit that takes care of the dwell issue and drives the coils properly without over driving any other factory component

otherwise stick with the bosche option.

yes, annoying technical issues but people ignoring them make me frown

Would part of the problem exist with the ECU running 4 ignition signals, rather than 2 with a wasted spark ECU? I had no issues at all with just joining the wires out of the ECU, but that's because i suppose it's a wasted spark ecu off a Ver. 3, There would be no high/low conflict in that case would there? And dwell timings and all that would be correct too.

I see now, that was 2 iginition signals from the ECU, being split up to 4 coils (before i did the coil pack conversion), not 4 ignition signals being joined up to 2 coils...

So how have these people done it then, is just a case that they may have ignored it, or have i got the wrong idea behind the wiring, i'm curious now :-X

Matt's car appears to have no issues at all

Mmm, this is why i deal with V3+ :P

Guest boostin

You don't need to join the ignition wires Reuben. 2 outputs is enough. I wonder if that is the hard starting cause? It doesn't explain the leaning out though.

And yes, the adaptor is for sale, and it does work.