Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

96 STI engine into 98 impreza, wiring HELP!!

Koom']

[quote name='Drunkenmonkey said:

couldnt you just swap engine looms and then it would just plug in?

/quote]

Engine loom = body loom = not as easy as it sounds

(apart from the short bit that is attached to the top of the engine itself)

thats what i ment by engine loom the one under the manifold

Drunkenmonkey']

/quote]

What it plugs into going into the body will be different, good sir!

Hopai']

/quote]

What it plugs into going into the body will be different, good sir!

how will it be different if you use the 98 non turbo manifold loom when its from the car?????

Oh... I dunno, the multitude of extra sensors and solenoids that turbo's have that non turbo's don't....

Wastegate duty

Pressure sensors

Boost and Vaccuum Sensors...

Etc etc... There won't be enough wires and plugs for everything on the non turbo engine loom to fit everything for the turbo motor.

The engine loom for the non turbo plugs in to the fire wall by the brake master cylinder. and has a 3 plug ecu. The 96 sti engine (version 3 i guess) has a 4plug ecu.

i can't get my head around it all. if i should change the whole loom through the whole car, and id have to change dash, cluster, everything back to a 96?????

im doing a ver8 conversion soon i so cant wait to pull all the looms out. na its not that hard. left side guard comes out, all the dash board.

i think kaminiko is doing the same mod as at the moment? wonder how far to completion

Phoenix Industries said:

The engine loom for the non turbo plugs in to the fire wall by the brake master cylinder. and has a 3 plug ecu. The 96 sti engine (version 3 i guess) has a 4plug ecu.

i can't get my head around it all. if i should change the whole loom through the whole car, and id have to change dash, cluster, everything back to a 96?????

If it's 4-plug, it's not a version 3 - I have a version 3 ECU lookin' pretty on my desk not going anywhere; 6S, 3-plug.

What sort of non-turbo is it? HX20s, GB, C'Z? Considering the effort it's going to take to moogie an STi 20G into what's at best 20E-powered... it really ought to be an HX20s or SRX. And if it's an SRX... yeah not a happening thing. They're AVCS for one, and OBD-II IIRC.

If you want to turbo your non-turbo, at least stick to the same version of STi. If you're a 1998 SRX, you want version 5. If you're a 1998 HX20s, you want version 4.

Read the first post again drunken, yah twat :P. He's dropping an STi engine into an N/A.

My opinion, sell and by a WRX. Turboing an N/A is a futile task unless you know what you are doing.

Things to consider

The N/A has a lesser interior

Suspension will need to be updated and STi'd

Brakes and drivetrain will need to be swapped to handle the power, brakes needed for certification

The looms need to be swapped or drastically altered to run the turbo motor

And at the end of the day, you still have something that's not even close to a WRX. And you need to cert it to get it road legal (I.E. The ends do not justify the means)

So unless you're covering every basis like shales build DON'T EVEN BOTHER.

The only way it would be a good idea is if you had a crashed STi, and were stripping both cars to the shell, welding up the N/A's glued frame, and dropping EVERYTHING from the sti in it. Otherwise, forget it.