• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CUSTOM guage cluster surrounds

CMPLSV

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... did u use a hair dryer or a heat gun?

lol.... it doesnt like heat guns i discovered yesterday - up until that point i had only used my flatties hair dryer - about 5 seconds of heat from the gun was enough to melt the weave out of it :S

yea we did my bonnet with a heat gun - but that was a large area - i was doing a guage cluster with the heat gun, normally i use a hair dryer as its much gentler - i didnt and i melted the weave right out of it....

can u post up pics of what youve wrapped?

p.s where did you buy the vinyl from and how much was it... (just to compare)

I got it of TM for $60 (1220x1000) should have got a little more cos the shapes I needed didnt quite fit in as I thouhgt they would. Fabric is easier to gauge since you dont have to like it up exactly right like carbon.

ssl14020.jpg

ssl14019.jpg

Im still considering doing the bonnet and a light weight fibreglass boot lid Ive just made up in this stuff too, so much quicker than paint and will probly be more durable/easy to replace. More worried about the rice look factor with it on the outside tho.

looks great PhatRS!!

... have u had experience working with vinyl in the past?? - thats pretty dam good looking work if u havnt!!

(p.s i can do for $50 + postage 1m x 1.2m or longer -if u need more....)

H8RS H8 said:

looks great PhatRS!!

... have u had experience working with vinyl in the past?? - thats pretty dam good looking work if u havnt!!

(p.s i can do for $50 + postage 1m x 1.2m or longer -if u need more....)

Cheers, Ive done lots of retrimming of those sorts of things with fabric and upholstery vinyl and lots of fibreglassing so it works out kinda similar.

I will actually grab some more I think, might grab 2mx1.22m if ya wanna PM me your account details and shipping $ to Wellywood.

That was mentioned at lunch today haha.

Boostin, I dont think youll be able to get this stuff to stick to a headliner unless tou can get all the fluffy stuff off and make it smooth to start with. I struggled getting fabric and foam to stick up there with hard core glue stuff. Would look pretty cool tho.

and watch it warp the $h1t out of itself while its curing!

good luck getting resin to stick to it too, years or silicon cleaning products used in cars coupled with the furry stuff on it mean that jack all sticks to it, if you had the car on a rotisserie you could make a whole new headliner but seems like an awefull lot of work.

Definately hooked on the stuff now............the fibreglass boot I made a while ago (I covered this in the real stuff originally but the resin was contaminated and looked all milky once it cured.

ssl14024.jpg

ssl14026.jpg

ssl14027.jpg

smurff']

could you not remove the old head liner, cut a fresh one, and stick the stuff to it ?

-smurff

Its all press molded cardboard, so you could try but itll be hard to get a good fit.[quote name='smurff said:

take the old one, use it as a stencil and mold for real carbon :P

-smurff

I dont think its rigid enough to make a mould out of to be honest, if you could rip the carpet layer off and stick the vinyl to that I think that would be your best bet, Im sure some cars have headliners made of more sturdy materials but the ones ive seen are pretty much overgrown pak and save boxes. My one i used a fair bit of good glue before sticking foam and fabric to and after a few sunny days it came loose again, lucky i had a kinda button effect going on so the buttons held everything in place.

Recovering headliners gets done all the time so I guess there must be an easyish way or a better product to use.