Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mechanical warranties

Hey guys I have a question about mechanical warranties you can buy for cars.

Im wondering what experiences people have had with these. Esspecially with performance cars.

For instance if someone brought and EVO and it had an exhaust and filter and it say shat itself or the gearbox crapped out. What happens? Does the whole thing just get fixed or what?

Like I mean is a mechanical warranty a licence to flog the sh*t out of a car?

Also what happens if you brought a car and then say did an exhaust on it?

Does that void the warranty?

Also I know you can buy warrantys for cars from private sales, does anyone have any experience with this? Can this only be done on totally stock cars? Ie would they reject a corolla if it had mags and a zaust?

i cant speak from myself, but i have read alot about others getting denied for their faults, alot of dealers using the excuse of ~ 'it has been driven under extreme conditions', as in if u buy a turbo your not expected to floor it haha :P

Some warranty/mech insurance companies allow basic modifications, my AA one has exhaust and filter mods approved and declared on it. Have claimed once on mechanical insurance a few years ago on my RSB, that was with driveright, the engine had bad piston slap and they repaired that with no hassles - new V7 STI shortblock. So cant say ive had any bad experience with warranty companies yet.

dimin said:

Some warranty/mech insurance companies allow basic modifications, my AA one has exhaust and filter mods approved and declared on it. Have claimed once on mechanical insurance a few years ago on my RSB, that was with driveright, the engine had bad piston slap and they repaired that with no hassles - new V7 STI shortblock. So cant say ive had any bad experience with warranty companies yet.

full exhaust system?

My one you couldn't modify anything in essence, and they wouldn't cover gearbox etc due to "wear and tear". So I always kept everything that I had taken off on my previous wrx, just in case I had an oops with the engine etc and could slap everything back to stock for warranty.

WRXER said:

My one you couldn't modify anything in essence, and they wouldn't cover gearbox etc due to "wear and tear". So I always kept everything that I had taken off on my previous wrx, just in case I had an oops with the engine etc and could slap everything back to stock for warranty.

yea mine with autosure was the same, basically no mods, or you risk them declining cover, i always put back to factory before any major repairs, mind you the first 2 years i had my car under warranty i never did much with it cause the warranty was quite pricey, but worth it, clutch was also covered surprisingly and it hadnt even failed lol.

never had to use it for a engine rebuild (touch wood) but i definately got my moneys worth.