Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Crunchy Gears at high Revs/ Cant get into gear!

Lynx

Hi there clubsub,

Hope you guys can help me identify this problem i have atm, the car is a Version 6 STI.

When i boost it and change gears it wont allow me to, feels like something it blocking it the way happens too every gear.

When im downshifting, if im in a gear and above certain speed i wont be able to get into that gear unless im going really slow, so if i was in 4th and wanted to downshift into 3rd i would have to be going 50kms and under, and if i was in 3rd and wanted to downshift into 2nd i would have to be going under 30kms, happens even if i rev match it.

But i can still drive normally, just cant give it too many revs or else the gear will crunch and grind, even if i add some gas before going into that gear.

The clutch was changed around 7,000kms ago, so im pretty sure nothing to do with it? Master cylinder looks alright, slave has no leaks or anything.

Any info/help would be great, might try changing the slave and see if that would help.

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks for fast replys, At low revs it drives pretty normal, Gearbox oil hasnt been changed in my ownership, and has a good amount.

Yeah at high revs it doesnt seem to be wanting to select a gear, and if you try forcing it in it just makes an horrible sound.

Lynx said:

Hey thanks for fast replys, At low revs it drives pretty normal, Gearbox oil hasnt been changed in my ownership, and has a good amount.

Yeah at high revs it doesnt seem to be wanting to select a gear, and if you try forcing it in it just makes an horrible sound.

define "pretty normal" .. as in it it crunches a little bit here and there?

I would lean towards synchros as well in that case, an oil change will help but not solve your problem - you will require synchro replacement in that instance which aint cheap at all..

cheaper option - buy my box.

just been reburbished already.

funkytown said:

define "pretty normal" .. as in it it crunches a little bit here and there?

I would lean towards synchros as well in that case, an oil change will help but not solve your problem - you will require synchro replacement in that instance which aint cheap at all..

cheaper option - buy my box.

just been reburbished already.

Umm, its smooth when changing in low revs no crunches. the gears are stiff and tight but its been like that every since i got the car.

If it is the box, i will be contacting you.

who changed clutch? was it happening before that or since?

i wouldn't think all synchros would go at once.

Could be the clutched didn't get bedded in right, or was installed right, or just hasn't been adjusted correctly & isn't fully engaging.

pl0x said:

who changed clutch? was it happening before that or since?

i wouldn't think all synchros would go at once.

Could be the clutched didn't get bedded in right, or was installed right, or just hasn't been adjusted correctly & isn't fully engaging.

Clutch was just a home garage job, Clutch was installed properly im sure as it was mint up until recently. But nothing was adjusted/bledded? Yeah its like the clutch isnt engaging fully.

You can adjust the preload/tension/freeplay/position of the pedal by rotating the shaft that connects it to the master cylinder. You need a 6mm spanner and some flexibilty to get down there and adjust it. It may be preventing you from completely disengaging the clutch if its wound out/in too far.

mhm could not be fullying engaging and you been driving it this whole time could have worn out synchros

There is a way to adjust it so its fully engaging but im not sure how, maybe wait till someone who knows pipes up or search lol

(edit, there you go haha)

Thanks for all the info.

Koom said:

You can adjust the preload/tension/freeplay/position of the pedal by rotating the shaft that connects it to the master cylinder. You need a 6mm spanner and some flexibilty to get down there and adjust it. It may be preventing you from completely disengaging the clutch if its wound out/in too far.

How do i know when its adjusted right?

Lynx']

Thanks for all the info.

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

How do i know when its adjusted right?

Cause it'll work properly ;)

Haha, hard to explain really. If it is the problem, it'll be wound right in (I think its In) and you'll feel a decent amount of tension on the pedal if you push it with your hand. As you wind it out, you'll find a point where the pedal has freeplay before it starts to push on the clutch master cylinder. I usually adjust mine so that the pedal goes "free" just before it hits the stop (which you can also adjust).

Don't forget to undo the locking nut thats also on the shaft before adjusting with a 6mm spanner and tightening afterwards.

This may or may not fix your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was driving and something went bang! Couldnt drive it anymore.

Today pulled the gearbox out and a whole chuck of the clutch fell out.......Clutch had done less than 7,000kms.

Do you guys think my gearbox is rooted also?

Thanks

smurff said:

take it to get checked?

or pull it apart and see

-smurff

If i was to pull it apart and check it myself, what kind of stuff/damages should i be looking for?

Also any ideas to as why my clutch blew? Did less than 7,000kms on that clutch and pretty much just nana shifting all the time.

Guest keltik

On a slightly late note. I have the same problem in my car. If i try and shift from 2nd into 3rd at high revs it just wont do it. No crunches or anything i just have to double clutch or wait in neutral a second.

So far as i can tell, the problem is caused by worn synchros that cant compensate for the big speed differences between each gear quickly enough. At lower revs you might only have a 5-600rpm difference but at the red-line its more like 1500-2000rpm

And a clutch failing after 7,000km just doesnt sound right. Pics will help us understand what broke and possibly why.