Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy BP GT turbo and Power question

killervq30de

Was wondering how much you could up the boost without changing anything else.. then found that the VF38 turbos don't like to be pushed.

Which lead me to find this out.. not sure how much is right as its cobbled together from random info, which all seems to go back to one sticky post about different turbo types.

The pre-2006 JDM facelift Legacy GT are meant to have a VF38 turbo for Autos and a TD04 for manuals. Auto making 195kw and the manual 205Kw. The TD04 is meant to flow better than the VF38 hence the higher power. I read the TD04 was to help avoid boost drops between gear shifts

2006-7+ are meant to have VF45 turbos which are ball bearing compared with thrust bearing on the VF38 (which are apparently prone to dying?). both auto and manuals now hace the vf45 and it flows nearly as well as the td04

So I'm wondering if the auto now makes similar power (excluding % of loss from torque converter)? So maybe 200kw?

Has anyone with a facelift/2007+ BP seen what turbo you have? Not sure if the GTB's got it for example and the GT stuck with the VF38?

• Admin

If you haven't had it tuned yet start there, well worth the effort. Auto subaru's tend to be detuned for auto's regardless of whether the turbo's are smaller or not.

Never heard talk of the td04's being better than the vf45's,

Also be wary when people talk about the td04's as the stocks ones are a 19t but there is an almost identical 20t drop in turbo which is getting more popular to give slightly more power.

Is yours a spec b or gt?

Real easy to get the model off the turbo with these. Looking straight down on the compressor side it should be on the side of there, really small mirror helped reading mine.

• Admin

Neodowd is yours a jap import firstly? Not sure if nz spec went facelift 06 or 07

Na checking it is a piece of cake. Just had another look now, just have to remove the engine cover then its on the compressor on the passenger side

13B276CC-8585-4C0A-B11D-4AD337EB9102_zps

Comp housing

B84872EE-0E9F-4E93-8C1A-21A8AA4CB686_zps

Thats the hole you wanna poke your head into

79D62483-3719-42D9-B9EC-C3ABA6BDB384_zps

And there's the sucker hidden down there, pretty vertical to where you look hence needing the mirror. Or just chuck the phone down there and take a few snaps and hope one comes out clearly.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Neodowd is yours a jap import firstly? Not sure if nz spec went facelift 06 or 07

Na checking it is a piece of cake. Just had another look now, just have to remove the engine cover then its on the compressor on the passenger side

13B276CC-8585-4C0A-B11D-4AD337EB9102_zps

Comp housing

And there's the sucker hidden down there, pretty vertical to where you look hence needing the mirror. Or just chuck the phone down there and take a few snaps and hope one comes out clearly.

Thanks for doing that I had though it was under the big metal lump/heat shield

What turbo do you have?

Edited by killervq30de

KiwiJoe said:
My B was registered in Japan in Feb 07, so a MY06.

Mine has the VF44 too .. so don't know who got what. Unless auto's are vf44 and the manuals are vf45. Thing I said about MY06 and the vf44 was just off some post on US forum and they are unlikely to know that much about the JDM variants anyway

Double checked and mine is a genuine GT spec B (rather than someone just adding wheels and bumper), it has the BP5E5CV model plate by passenger door. http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars/subaru/LegacyBP/LegacyTWBP_E.htm

20150219_small.jpg

Edited by killervq30de

• Admin
 KiwiJoe said:
My B was registered in Japan in Feb 07, so a MY06.

Interesting. Mines a December 06 registration, so possibly MY07 then, my understanding of car year logic was that the MY always ran from late in the previous calendar year rather than after it had started.

Suppose leftover stock will in fact sit there until sold so anythings possible.

There's mine anyway

b21c346b-5fcb-45b5-9992-a822cbc63e67_zps

The real question here is what the heck are the specs on the vf44. It's hard enough finding anything usefull even for the vf45.

Though chances are it's the same turbo with some very minor tweaks that were enough to justify a model change.

Edited by Andy_Mac