• Announcements

• 1randomkiwi

ClubSub Forum Updates   13/03/19

Important forum upgrades are coming up which may mean the www.ClubSUB.org.nz forums will be temporarily unavailable.   Check out our Official Facebook Page for more updates.   www.facebook.com/ClubSubNZ
  • Current Donation Goals

swamp

Wiring for a trailer lights

3 posts in this topic

Hey lads

I'm thinking of setting up a trailer plug when I do get my tow bar, is it simple enough to do? I'm yet to look at a wiring diagram but I'm guessing I'd have to find the power and ground of the stop and indicators and simply splice into them. Can anyone confirm?

1 person likes this

Finding the power wires to the rear lights and splicing wires is too complex... better to hookup a 3D accelerometer and light sensitive diode array to a microprocessor (LOM processor) to detect when you are braking, turning and driving in the dark... then to avoid doing any complex wiring, you need bluetooth activated lights on the trailer... all activated from the one simple LOM processor. You might be able to purchased the whole setup from Jina for 50c.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Loren said:

Finding the power wires to the rear lights and splicing wires is too complex... better to hookup a 3D accelerometer and light sensitive diode array to a microprocessor (LOM processor) to detect when you are braking, turning and driving in the dark... then to avoid doing any complex wiring, you need bluetooth activated lights on the trailer... all activated from the one simple LOM processor. You might be able to purchased the whole setup from Jina for 50c.

Some how I feel like you're taking the mickey o.O If you're not then all good.

Swamp - Locating your wiring is easy, you only need to get one ground (can just be a chassis ground) and then the 12v wire of each light you require. Just use a cheap test light and activate the light to see which wire is the live wire.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Aptenodytes
      Hi there,

I live in Nelson, take a tandem trailer with a 6.2m aluminium hardtop boat (total about 2 tonnes) to Havelock perhaps 5 times / year (it's 80km of winding, hilly road). I swap cars with my brother and use his 3.6l Commodore VE for boat towing (we share a family bach and boat) as my 1995 Legacy 250T would not have been up to the job. However my Legacy got a death sentence at the WOF last week (RIP ) so I'm in the market for a replacement. It would make sense to get a car that can tow the boat.

I would like to get a 4th Gen Outback 3.0R (2004 - 2007 or so) and have spent some time trying to work out if it would be up the task of towing 2 tonnes. I've found plenty of information in this forum (thanks!) and elsewhere on towing with 3.0 Outbacks, but nothing definitive.
      - Tow rating for this car would be 1800kg braked (750kg unbraked).
      - Some suggest an additional trans oil cooler would be needed (some suggest it would be difficult to fit).

I've read a few lists of good towing vehicles on horse float / boating sites and nobody has mentioned any Subaru for towing, not even once. They usually mention the standard big SUVs and also Falcon/Commodore etc. My gutfeel is that 2 tonnes is a little too much for an Outback based on kerb weight etc and the transmission / drivetrain would be worked a bit harder than it should be.

So what does everyone think? My guess is if I said Hilux / Commodore everyone would say "yes", if I said 2.5 Legacy everyone would say "no' but if I said 3.0 Outback it's probably in that slightly worrying ground in between.
    • By swamp
      Hey guys I haven't come across these factory service manuals on this forum yet so below I've got links to FSM for Imprezas. Wiring diagrams included. Also have a few for certain Legacy and Forester models. Should save us the effort of browsing other forums.

http://ken-gilbert.com/page/3?s=impreza+manuals&x=18&y=14

http://forum.wrx.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=45443

• By murraypretorius
      Hi,

I am in the progress of fitting cruise control to my 2010 Subaru legacy

I’m after a 4 pin brake light switch that I seem to find easily everywhere online. But unfortunately I am having a very hard time finding the 4 pin connector that plugs into it.

Is there any chance anyone would be able to tell me what the part number would be or where to find it? I had a chat to someone from PartSouq and they were unable to help me without a part no.. 

Also, would anyone be able to give me info as that which ECU pins I need for wiring the 2 required wires to it? 

This is what I need:

1.    Brake light switch (PN: 83370AA001) easy to find – https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=83370AA001 or the alternative: https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/tridon-na---sourcing-new-supplier/SPO6453972.html

2.    4 pin male connector to go into the above (no idea where to find) –

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

• Recent Status Updates