swamp

Wiring for a trailer lights

Hey lads

I'm thinking of setting up a trailer plug when I do get my tow bar, is it simple enough to do? I'm yet to look at a wiring diagram but I'm guessing I'd have to find the power and ground of the stop and indicators and simply splice into them. Can anyone confirm?

• Like 1

Finding the power wires to the rear lights and splicing wires is too complex... better to hookup a 3D accelerometer and light sensitive diode array to a microprocessor (LOM processor) to detect when you are braking, turning and driving in the dark... then to avoid doing any complex wiring, you need bluetooth activated lights on the trailer... all activated from the one simple LOM processor. You might be able to purchased the whole setup from Jina for 50c.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loren said:

Finding the power wires to the rear lights and splicing wires is too complex... better to hookup a 3D accelerometer and light sensitive diode array to a microprocessor (LOM processor) to detect when you are braking, turning and driving in the dark... then to avoid doing any complex wiring, you need bluetooth activated lights on the trailer... all activated from the one simple LOM processor. You might be able to purchased the whole setup from Jina for 50c.

Some how I feel like you're taking the mickey o.O If you're not then all good.

Swamp - Locating your wiring is easy, you only need to get one ground (can just be a chassis ground) and then the 12v wire of each light you require. Just use a cheap test light and activate the light to see which wire is the live wire.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Druncle
      Gidday team, 

I've just bought myself a 2006 Forester 2.0L tiptronic and installed a JVC KW-M750BT head unit into it. The head unit comes with wiring to connect to oem steering wheel controls and was wondering if anyone knows if I could link it into the steering wheel controls that are meant for the gearbox? 

My great end plan would be to wire it in a way that when the gear lever is in drive and the buttons don't normally do anything that they would control audio volume but then when put into tiptronic it only works for gears. 
      I'm half figuring I could do this via a normally closed relay, there must be a sense wire to know when it's put into tiptronic, I had a bit of a delve around but could only find the up gear/down gear wires. 

Anyway, any thoughts on if it's possible, if it's been done before, how it should be wired, if I explained it badly, or if I'm on my own and I just report back when I f*** it up/make it would be great! 
    • By Aptenodytes
      Hi there,

I live in Nelson, take a tandem trailer with a 6.2m aluminium hardtop boat (total about 2 tonnes) to Havelock perhaps 5 times / year (it's 80km of winding, hilly road). I swap cars with my brother and use his 3.6l Commodore VE for boat towing (we share a family bach and boat) as my 1995 Legacy 250T would not have been up to the job. However my Legacy got a death sentence at the WOF last week (RIP ) so I'm in the market for a replacement. It would make sense to get a car that can tow the boat.

I would like to get a 4th Gen Outback 3.0R (2004 - 2007 or so) and have spent some time trying to work out if it would be up the task of towing 2 tonnes. I've found plenty of information in this forum (thanks!) and elsewhere on towing with 3.0 Outbacks, but nothing definitive.
      - Tow rating for this car would be 1800kg braked (750kg unbraked).
      - Some suggest an additional trans oil cooler would be needed (some suggest it would be difficult to fit).

I've read a few lists of good towing vehicles on horse float / boating sites and nobody has mentioned any Subaru for towing, not even once. They usually mention the standard big SUVs and also Falcon/Commodore etc. My gutfeel is that 2 tonnes is a little too much for an Outback based on kerb weight etc and the transmission / drivetrain would be worked a bit harder than it should be.

So what does everyone think? My guess is if I said Hilux / Commodore everyone would say "yes", if I said 2.5 Legacy everyone would say "no' but if I said 3.0 Outback it's probably in that slightly worrying ground in between.
  • Recent Status Updates