Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

XForce VAREX remote control Muffler

Drunkenmonkey

Im wanting to get one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Exhaust/auction-276628623.htm, but what im thinking is have a micro s/w or pressure s/w so it only open when on boost would this still be illegal? also does anyone know someone at redline that i could talk to about these mufflers?

Cheers

hey i found out when i went to put one on my gtb that varex mufflers or and type of exhaust system that lets you control the volume is seen as "tempering" and is illegal any way but when you go for a wof as long as you system doesnt leak you should be sweet and youll have to get a silencer so they dont know it has a valve in it nd ull be sweet and also if since it has the little control thing on the top of the muffler you also want to hide that some how cause if a cop pulls u over or what ever and they see that, boom pink or green sticker seein how nice the cop is so yea that id giv u a heads

Yeah I fitted one of these to my car not so long ago. The actuator is no where near fast enough to open and close on and off boost. And yes they are also illegal for street use regardless of how loud they are when they are fully open. There was actualy a artical in performance car magazine a couple of months ago stating this also. Due to that, I think I will most likely remove mine when I finish rebuilding my engine as I'm gonna have to go get a cert for other things im doing and I dont think they would give me one with it installed.

loren said:

I don't think they open/close fast enough to respond to boost pressure.

true that is, I had a mate back in Aus with a 07 STI WRX with one on it and the valve doesn't open that fast. Although it is amazing how quiet it is when fully shut lol, pretty cool toy to have if you can afford one

I personaly didnt think the price was that much when the other option was two mufflers (one for the road and one for the track). I was a bit pissed off when I found out that It was illegal after going to the effort to quite my car down.

MercuryFree']

[quote name='Drunkenmonkey said:

the thing is a GTB has the factory actuator control so there for it wouldnt be illegal control???

/quote]

But is said actuator controllable by the driver with a switch or whatever? Cos that's where the illegality lies.

the gtb one is done by the ecu so

i would remove the remote the give you and wire it in to be auto done by how much throttle/once your on boost

or hook up a wastegate just before your rear muffler, Theres a you tube vid of an audi with a similar setup, open on boost, closed off boost, bolt a balnking plate over it and it's legal for wof as long as your wof dude isn't a dick. If he trys to say "you can just remove that blanking plate with 2 bolts, i'm failing your wof" reply "i can remove my whole exhaust system with 2 bolts at the bottom of the downpipe too!!!"

the gtb one is factory so is fine despite being ilegal under the rules, varex style systems are ilegal too, but technically if its not plugged in its legal, id personally position it so its well hidden and and hide all wiring and test your luck. if its not too loud with it open if you get sprung just show them that its the loudest it goes and show how quiet it can be

waste gate wouldn't give off that subaru rumble tho would it? point in this is cause i like spotmes car humble and quiet through town but i love reubens on the open road deep and raw, also my parents are pissed off with me starting the car at 5.45 am right under their window so i might be able to get them to buy it for me :P

EJ20T said:

the gtb one is factory so is fine despite being ilegal under the rules, varex style systems are ilegal too, but technically if its not plugged in its legal, id personally position it so its well hidden and and hide all wiring and test your luck. if its not too loud with it open if you get sprung just show them that its the loudest it goes and show how quiet it can be

thing is there wont be any wires it will bne hooked into the factory actuator in the boot its just a lever cable which is factory, ill have no issues with wofs my wof guy is placid as when it comes to my cars, its the the cops

Drunkenmonkey said:

waste gate wouldn't give off that subaru rumble tho would it? point in this is cause i like spotmes car humble and quiet through town but i love reubens on the open road deep and raw, also my parents are pissed off with me starting the car at 5.45 am right under their window so i might be able to get them to buy it for me :P

don't see why not if you get a big enough wastegate it would be the same as running no rear muffler under boost, i havent tried this, it's just something i thought of a while ago wehn i was having exhaust issues, was gonna run a standard rear muffler and the wastegate before it and have a sneaky compressed air tank to open and close it at will or have it just hooked to a vac line, never got further than a dream in my head

Guest crunchy

you can make a system thats opens using exhaust backpressure and bypasses the mufler inside

this isnt illegal as alot of late model euros do this and i believe honda also

simple to make using a large dia spring with a slider to adjust tension to get the right setting,

with the ltsa test it wont show as it needs load to open

crunchy said:

you can make a system thats opens using exhaust backpressure and bypasses the mufler inside

this isnt illegal as alot of late model euros do this and i believe honda also

simple to make using a large dia spring with a slider to adjust tension to get the right setting,

with the ltsa test it wont show as it needs load to open

this is very much true, i think some of the FG falcons have this arangement to. its a really good idea

• 3 months later...

lots of new cars have this system, especially high performance ones.

Lambo's, ferraris, maseratis, astons all come standard with a variable system! all of them are road legal in NZ.

might be because they only open at a set rev range though!??

from what i was told of the law on it is that the opening and closing of the setup emust not be driver controller so basically the ecu must be controlling it to be legal. as for the spring loaded exhaust flap thing, its legal cos its not a driver controlled setup. the new gen 2 ve clubbys have the flap type thing and it souds vicious with it open in the higher revs only so wud easily pass any noise test as at that rpm it never opens

Well matt, consider my GTB's exhaust. full 3" catless turbo back, with no chambered mufflers in sight. And that sits dead on 95db. Even with one of these mufflers on full noise, there's a chance it can still be legally loud, so the only legal issue is the control of it.

Did we ever figure if the exhaust controllers in the BG's were ECU controlled? There's no pin on the ECU AFIAK, unlike the BH's. Or atleast it's not made obvious with the pinouts we have.

And yeah, a hidden switch might be the go. Consider chrisjunkies setup.