Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Questions about buying a Legacy GT

Flat4

Hey guys,

I'm considering trading up from my 95 TS-R to a BG5 GT. Have seen one at a dealer in Chch that I like. Listing is here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-278086464.htm [EDIT - FIXED LINK] Very tidy inside and out and didn't notice any mechanical problems on a test drive around the block. Have a few questions and would appreciate it if you guys could help me out

Has done 190000km's though. Apparently previous owner was a mum who owned it for 6 years (since imported). Should I steer clear from one with such high k's?

I noticed that it has dual airbags (so doesn't have the usual momo wheel), which I haven't seen before on any manual bg5 gt. Was this an option from factory? It also has what I first thought was a boost controller below the speedo, partly hidden by steering wheel in pics. Has an on/off button and low/high button on it. Any ideas?

Also, as you can see in the photo the bumper has been cut up (on both sides of the no. plate). Could this have been for spot lights?

Cheers!

P.S. I'm not going to ask a hundred of the same q's all over again like r0ksta... haha

I don't think it's worth $5k either and I won't be paying that much for it. They were pretty quick to drop the price so I reckon I could bargain them down a bit more, and the trade they offered on mine is more or less what I paid for it.

It's pretty much what I'm after minus the high k's which is why I went to have a look. It has near new tyres and is tidier inside and out than mine is

Honestly from someone who owns a '94 - you'll want a lot of service history to come with it. I'd try pick up a newer-than-96 if you can.

It's worth a tidy 3. I've got mine on tarders for $3400 with a fair few less k's. Sell yours for three and spend another 2 on an upgrade, you can get a tidy-enough RSB/GTB for that kind of money. Shop around, you'll find Trademe is full of a lot of dreamers.

You can get a damn nice 97/98 GTB now for around 5-6grand. Or if you don't mind on year and quality, a GTB can be had for as low as $3000.

I highly recomend you get a MANUAL GTB. Nothing quite like em, and the power is damn nice. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, the big end bearing problem with the manuals is no myth, be prepared to shell out a good 3 grand at any time if you want to keep that EJ20R when it blows

In case you didn't know, the big end bearing issues are only with the MANUAL GTB's. In other words, the EJ20R. Auto GTB's, and GT's come with the EJ20H, and are generally quite reliable. Older GT's, pre 96, that come with the the VF13 primary turbo, also have reliability issues, but only with the VF13. When looking at BG5A's, keep an ear out for bad noise and poor performance on primary. the blocks on the other hand are solid.

Here's a tip though. The GTB's have a much nice interior, and the better looking bodykit, but quite a few people don't realise the standard GT's post 96 also got the interior and body kit. Post 96 GT's look just like the GTB's. Only difference is no yellow bits, and no unreliable EJ20R. If you want reliability and want to save a few cents, but still get the bucket seats and "GTB bumper", see if you can find a face lift (post 96) GT.

Some to look at

Cheap GT, less than 3K, and all it needs is a panel beating, and new front seat

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-276785805.htm

A GTB Limited, damn awesome cars if i do say so myself ;) Current bid, $2000

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-276640972.htm

An example of a deceptive face light GT, looks like a GTB, but it ain't. This ones far too expensive though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/legecy/auction-278479736.htm

Another overpriced GT, note the unpainted skirt and bump strips, distinguishing it from a GTB

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-276968985.htm

ReubenH - Nice tips, I'll also be in the market for a GT in about a months time.

What is involved in converting the pre and post 96 GTs from auto to manual?

Alot are auto, so I'm just wondering if I should consider buying an auto and converting it at a later date..

Bumpty said:

ReubenH - Nice tips, I'll also be in the market for a GT in about a months time.

What is involved in converting the pre and post 96 GTs from auto to manual?

Alot are auto, so I'm just wondering if I should consider buying an auto and converting it at a later date..

It's not a small job, but you should be able to pick up a decent box+shifter/dash/pedals etc for $700. Remember, the Autos have the EJ20H - which is less powerful than the EJ20R. This is actually a positive for me, as I quite like the piece of mind.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update...

Looking at a BG5 GTB at the moment and thought I would ask, is piston slap/rattle when cold anything to worry about? Was quite noticeable on start up but after a 5min drive could barely hear it, and only at low revs.

Has done 140,000 kms, completely factory, same owner last 5 years and has been run on 95 octane. It's due for a service (only just), so would new oil make the piston slap less noticeable?

You gotta be real picky, and wait for one that's been looked after. These GTB engines really are made of glass. Often they are owned by mups who run em on 95, change the oil with the cheap stuff every 15-20,000k's if they remember... that sorta ****.

Them blowing big end bearings is no myth... no myth at all. I bought mine, very good condition, 110,000K's on the clock... 3 months after purchase when i changed the oil, pop went the bearings.

The other option is to get a mechanical warranty as matt said.