Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

whats your say(thoughts, postives and negatives) on type r's?

Guest SPANKU

that car been on trademe for awhile now

overall i think its a tidy car. average Ks on it for what it is.

positive: Coupe FTW

Negative: unless you got family 2 door isnt for you

yeah it has been on there for a while now and i have noticed that hey have dropped the price by quite a bit since it was last up there. haha yeah i got a daughter so im not too sure weather too look at it or not. would be lighter than a 4 door though wouldnt it?

About the same weight as an RA of the same year (1290kgs officially?). I have no trouble at all putting my daughter in the back of the R in a baby seat. It actually has pretty much identical room in the back to the sedans. The seats go so far forward that you can step right in from the passenger's side rather than having to reach in. I guess it would be different if you had a whole tribe of ankle biters.

GC8E2DD said:

About the same weight as an RA of the same year (1290kgs officially?). I have no trouble at all putting my daughter in the back of the R in a baby seat. It actually has pretty much identical room in the back to the sedans. The seats go so far forward that you can step right in from the passenger's side rather than having to reach in. I guess it would be different if you had a whole tribe of ankle biters.

Coupe is heavier at 1260kg, RA is ~1250kg.

Some websites say the R/RA is 1210kg, most unlikely.

Cf. STi v5/6 sedan 1270kg, wagon 1310kg.

Room should be exactly the same as sedan as the cabin shape/size is the same.

Only difference is ease of access.

Postives;

A whole lot of fun, more of a RWD feel.

Negatives;

Shorter gearing = less relaxed, no ABS.

Whats up with the intercooler in the picture? With the flywheel lightend and the heavy duty clutch and pullys done - guna be a bitch in traffic and around town I would imagine.

But - you will be able to do it quicker than most!

Negatives

- 2 Door ( if you care ) Cabin and boot are same as a sedan just different access

- High revving at highway speed due to short gearing

- Can be very loose in the wet

Positives

-Lots of well priced examples around at the moment

-IMO should hold their value better long term

-Awesome performance

-DCCD = Fun

-Stiffer chassis

-Great braking ( I personally prefer the non abs )

We regularly have our friends todler in the back and have no trouble getting the car seat in and out.

SubLeggy said:

hey guys was just wondering what your personal opinion's on Type R's? i mean like the positives and negatives on them.

was looking at this one for exapmle- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/WRX/auction-280696156.htm

cheers

Nathan

I wouldn't buy the one above as the mods seem abit poor.

I agree with all of the above.

One negative not mentioned the doors are wider obviously so it can be a pain in tight parking.

Secondly they are getting old and like all Sti's of that era the engine might not last too long especially a modified one.

Have owned a V4 Type R before the version 8 i have now, mint cars for sure

Positives :

Look cooler/more unique than the 4 door

Lighter and tighter chassis

RWD balance/ feel is awesome, easily tightened to grippy 4WD by dialling DCCD up

Awesome performance(mine was factory and was impressed by its performance, faster than my current lightly modded V8 Sti)

Close ratio gears awesome for acceleration

Great factory brake setup

Stil heaps of room for back seat passengers

All round dam fun to drive

Great value for money these days(plenty of tidy ones round 10-12k mark now)

Unlimited upgradeability IMO, being a typical subaru lego car, when you get bored swap all the V7 and up drivetrain in(6speed and EJ207 engine) for even more fun.

Negatives:

Nuisance for passengers to get in and out is the only negative I had.

Definately a worthwhile Suby to buy, just try and get a near stock one that hasnt been butchered/messed round with

Guest SPANKU
 thorpy said:

Negatives

- 2 Door ( if you care ) Cabin and boot are same as a sedan just different access

- Can be very loose in the wet

Positives

-Awesome performance

-DCCD = Fun

-Stiffer chassis

We regularly have our friends todler in the back and have no trouble getting the car seat in and out.

what tires do you use? i never once lost it in the wet unless its those cheap budget tires like direzza z101 nangkang linglong kingstar roadstone triangles

SPANKU']

[quote name='thorpy said:

Negatives

b]- Can be very loose in the wet[/b]

Positives

-Awesome performance

-DCCD = Fun

-Stiffer chassis

what tires do you use? i never once lost it in the wet unless its those cheap budget tires like direzza z101 nangkang linglong kingstar roadstone triangles

I have 18" Bridgestone S03's . I have only lost it once when I first got it and was driving very enthusiasticly.

They are fine once you get use to them just different if your use to AWD.