Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Power steering not working on GC8 FIXED!

dan

The power steering is not working on my GC8.

I pulled the return hose off and started the car, fluid came out in a steady flow. So it's not the pump.

Any ideas? I don't have a check engine light/code coming up for the power steering.

Guest lan_killa

from memory there is a single black wire with a white plug that goes into the base of the power steering pump. Make sure this is connected. Although you say you have a code for power steering showing... does the power steer actually work... ie steering is able to be easily turned while motor running

lan_killa said:

from memory there is a single black wire with a white plug that goes into the base of the power steering pump. Make sure this is connected. Although you say you have a code for power steering showing... does the power steer actually work... ie steering is able to be easily turned while motor running

i don't think that wire will hinder the pump. i think its a load switch that tells the ecu to bump up the idle

lan_killa said:

that black wire will not make the powersteering not work, mine is not connected as i use another pump that doesnt have it now, as far as i know all it is is a pressure switch for the ecu to idle up the engine a bit.

if pump is pumping and fluid is nice and red/pink then i'd certainly be looking at the steering rack.

and he said he doesnt have any codes, which of course he wont as ecu doesnt control powersteering. ;)

edit - kamineko beat me to it lol

Guest lan_killa

gah... my bad...

I read the original post as he was having codes showing... (must lay off the midweek burbons :P )

now that ive re read it then yeh... something wrong at the rack end of things.

I flushed the power steering and put new fluid in. Still not working. So I pulled the pump out and had a look.

wrx2003.jpg

From what I could see. The little silver veins fall down as it spins and pump the fluid through. I spun it by hand and not all of them would fall down. Some seemed to be a little stuck.

Also you can see a black wire coming out of the pump on the left. I can't find an opposite plug for this to plug into.

wrx2004.jpg

I might soak the above over night in kero or something to try and give them a clean and see if it operates better. Any ideas? Is there any thing that would stand out showing me the pump was not working? I have it in pieces.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

hey at pick a part i got a pump and lines for $50, not bad considering it would be cheaper than re building it, and will get you back on the road, or any wreckers you might get it cheaper, who knows? bin the old one or rebuild it, ask in the WTD section

here: http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/board,13.0.html

good luck, hope it works out for ya

8)

Oooh a sliding vein pump, just learned about these in my fluids class the other day. Cool to actually see the insides of one :) Those are a pretty rare pump (application wise) now days.

Guest boostin

Those pumps rarely fail. They either get real noisy or the front bearing collapses. They don't stop pumping though. I'd be looking at the rack.

I've got a spare rack here from a BG twin turbo if you wanna try it. It was working fine when removed.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

doesnt that control the "sporty steering " as found on early RS legacys?

Guest boostcut

+1 those pumps never fail. you could run them dry and they would pump after refilling. id say that the valving in the rack is poked. and the vanes wont move when you turn it by hand, its centrifugal force that throws them out.

So, I got another rack. Replaced the tie rod end's with brand new one's and a set of whiteline bush's. Put the whole lot in today with new fluid and the power steering still don't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas?

That pump will have a pressure relief valve somewhere on it to regulate maximum pressure... Check it's not stuck open or broken it's spring.

Also, flow alone is not enough.. you need to check it has pressure... hundreds of pounds of pressure.

Guest boostcut

the pump wont produce pressure. its the resistance to flow that makes pressure. so i would be looking at the relief valve in the pump. also, in behind the centre of the pump with the vanes in it, there is a large spring and plate, it is an over pressure safety device. the spring may have broken.