Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ej20-'t' reliability vs the rest of the turbo world.

R.D

keltik']

[quote name='keltik said:

Half hour should do it. Maybe an hour if your feeling a bit sluggish

/quote]

your taking the piss yea?

....Nope. 10 mins to whup the air box and windscreen washer tank out. 5 Mins to crawl underneath and undo engine mount nuts. Then jack 'er up and have the plugs done in no time.

in my experience with the right tools you dont even need to touch the engine mounts. i've never had to.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but if lack of confidence is holding you back, any simple job on the car will take you an indeterminate amount of time directly proportional to your lack of confidence. Once you've spent an afternoon skinning knuckles trying to figure out where the sparkplugs are, you'll be able to get closer to 30mins the next time around.

i.e. the first time I removed a gearbox it took me an entire day. Now with two other people we can have the box replaced in less than 45 minutes (and thats if we're not rushing).

Guest boostcut

a cold engine helps, and having asian like hands or woman pleasing fingers to play with 3 inches of 3/8" extension ;D

kingersman said:

oi no need to jack engine!!! i can do it without!!!

also around 30min for beginners... takes about 5min for airbox and washer.. battery is always good out as well...

ill make a guide tomorrow... gives me a chance to check my plugs any way

yeah bro, i would appreciate this heaps! Because i dont have the tools to jack up an engine, so if you can show us how without touching that side of it, you'd actually be the man haha. Cheers bro

Guest keltik

Back on topic tho, I dont think the EJ20 is significantly less reliable than any other motor in the same class. Agreed - its not a B-series Honda motor. But it aint that bad. The sequential turbo setup tho has so many bits to go wrong on it - im not surprised the twin turbos get a higher proportion of problems.

the engines seem to last imo... just give them the regular oil change.. don't over run boost. def does not compare to a d15b tho... next to no oil and hardly any coolant and it still went(just not longer than 20mins or it would start over heating)

swiftbrad said:

Wondering how the 'ol mechanic I use wants to charge so much then.

If boostin checks in, would like to know how much Subaru charges as standard rates too (just quietly of course)

EDIT - sorry Keltic on topic we go :)

+1 was going to ring wingers today to get an idea. But seems ill have a shot at it myself now, keen!

Guest boostcut

well the plugs your mechanic puts in should be platinum or iridium, so that makes them between 20 and 30 dollars each retail. and id charge a minimum of half an hour in a garage to replace them if it took 10 mins unless they pay in cash

a genuine subaru plug will be double that price.

• General Member
 Swindog said:

If i can stand in front of my legacy and describe how to do the plugs and then my missus does it without help, and right first time...they must be easy to work on.

gold!

no back to the kitchen?

JoKer']

[quote name='Swindog said:

If i can stand in front of my legacy and describe how to do the plugs and then my missus does it without help, and right first time...they must be easy to work on.

/quote]

gold!

no back to the kitchen?

Why dont women need cars?

Theres no roads between the bedroom and the kitchen

swiftbrad']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

gold!

no back to the kitchen?

Why dont women need cars?

Theres no roads between the bedroom and the kitchen

who ever said anything about a bedroom?? improve efficiency and install a fold away bed in the kitchen

Guest boostcut

you can get away with normal copper plugs gapped to 0.8mm. basically the only reason they use iridiums is theyre a long life plug ie: 100,000kms but they dont last that long.

Guest boostcut

no i was meaning the plug dont last that long. i have seen ej20 na run into 300,000kms with little problems... subarus are reliable cars. its the fukwits that drive them that break them. and infact would break any car they owned

Seen plenty of dipshi.tes with EVO's with blown headgaskets, spun bearings and broken gearboxes to think that the the reliability issue is behind the wheel as Boostcut said. And been to Honda trackdays where they loose just as many engines as a Subaru trackday.

yeah this is true!!! in dunedin.. almost every turbo subaru i see gets thrashed(thats almost)... people change gears in the redline area.. people do skids and hellis...

main reason why i think subarus get the rep for breaking down is cause idiots buy them and blow them up not looking after them