Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ej20-'t' reliability vs the rest of the turbo world.

R.D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest keltik

I preferred the good old days when the rev limit was just a suggestion....and it even said in the hand book that you could exceed it for brief periods when passing people :D

Loved the little "danger to manifold" warning buzzer on my XT when you passed 6,500rpm

keltik said:

I preferred the good old days when the rev limit was just a suggestion....and it even said in the hand book that you could exceed it for brief periods when passing people :D

Loved the little "danger to manifold" warning buzzer on my XT when you passed 6,500rpm

i would so play that as a joke...

"What's that buzzing sound?"

"Oh just warning us that we are hitting light speed muther fucker!"

Guest boostcut

i have often hit the revlimiter in my car and dont worry about it. theyre set at a certain "limit" to stop damage, obviously repeted use aint goin to help the problem.

its kind of like a sex addict. take the girls away, then hes good. but... red tube and a bucket of margerine and hes set for the night. but still doesnt quite help the problem

I think Subarus are a bit of both worlds. There are some really bad design flaws that impact how people percieve them - particularly the tendancy to run bearings if not maintained or on the track (which is more common than say Hondas), the early RS Legacy gearbox was a bit soft, so side stepping the clutch off the limiter would kill them after a while, as well as the whole twin turbo thing - which was just plain sh*t for reliability and working on them.

However, if you make your car choices knowing the above and drive/maintain the cars - they can be reliable. I have done litterally hundreds of launches in my various Subarus over the years and only ever broken 1 gearbox (stripped 1st gear on an original 200,000km RS Legacy box). I have never run a bearing (Im on my 5th Subaru and have tracked 3 of them). And well, I did blow a TT engine up - but that was too much boost that did that.

But, if you get into motorsport with them, its a different kettle of fish as I have found - they are umm, challenging. But I know I would have the same problems with anything turbo 4WD!

To the original question at hand. When you make 206KW out of a turbo 4-banger, you're bound to have problems no matter how you orientate your pistons. The reliability myth is a myth. And you can't really compare to skylines and supra's etc, cause they are 6's. spreading the load over 6 cyl's is a bit less stressful than spreading it over 4.

The only issues of reliability specific to subaru's IMHO is the rocker cover leaks.

The BEB broblems. Most seem to be from the era when subaru just started making full 206KW engines. BEB issues are far less common once you get to the V7's and up.

The gearbox's, only the Gen 1 legacy, and V1/2 box's are glass. After 96 the box's became much more reliable. Some circles don't think so, but some circles don't know how to respect their cars.

Even when it comes down to little econobox reliability. The toyota being reliable thing also is bullsh!t, any little econobox that makes no power will be reliable. I'd MUCH rather a 1600 impreza than any other 1600 if i was looking for a reliable nanamobile.

The gearboxs are tough enough, even the old RS model boxes, just because you can limiter launch them doesnt mean u should, its like taking hard drugs, commiting rape or murder, things that you know are going to come back on you at the end of the day, also if you mod the engines in a sensible way you will be ok

Some of the problems come from peoples own ignorance, lack of foresight, lack of experiance with cars in general

Things like poor oiling for track useage, aggresively tuned ecus, poorly mapped ecus, piston slap are things that are mistakes by subaru, and some of the BEB problems come from things mentioned above but are a knock on effect

And remember that all RB26 engines are "prone" to spun bearings also and these are the "best" engines ever put into a road car apparently.

I think it may just come down to a simple case of all these engines in comparison are extremely reliable if left stock and driven only in a sedate manner, eg round town.

However, once put through their paces in motorsport or modified for increased power, unforeseen weaknesses become apparent which motorsport teams then fix on their vehicles but do not use same fixes on road going public examples.

familyman said:

And remember that all RB26 engines are "prone" to spun bearings also and these are the "best" engines ever put into a road car apparently.

I think it may just come down to a simple case of all these engines in comparison are extremely reliable if left stock and driven only in a sedate manner, eg round town.

However, once put through their paces in motorsport or modified for increased power, unforeseen weaknesses become apparent which motorsport teams then fix on their vehicles but do not use same fixes on road going public examples.

Only the R32 RB26 had oiling issues. And the 2JZ is well known as a superior motor...

familyman said:

2JZ

thank you for the great album, The Blueprint.

My favourite song is Empire State of Mind.

Please do more songs with Linkin Park coz Chester is hot.

Yours sincerely,

Young Fan.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Dude thats pretty funny shiz

EJ20T']

[quote name='Koom said:

1GZ-FE? ;D

/quote]

stop talking about engines you cant even find!!!!!!

haha I'm sure someone could possibly track down one via a very good parts guy in Japan (probably not overnight though). I'd love to have a play with one. Have seen a couple of the old Century's in ChCh so wondering if the royalty have given up any of the later model ones yet?