Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

time to upgrade, what to look for on be/bh shape legacys

hey fellas, the old 97 custard mobile is starting to get a bit long in the tooth so i'm looking at upgrading to a newer version of the same car. definitely want a manual and i don't think i could go back to a n/a car now I've owned a turbo one for so long. not sure about getting a sedan or wagon though, i've got a wagon now but i don't really use the boot space all that much. I'm just after some general thoughts/comments on the be/bh shape legacies and if anyone knows of one in good condition for sale then let me know.

thanks

I don't know how much you have to spend but if you really want to upgrade then I'd look at something a bit newer, than a car thats only a few years newer than what you already have. You can get the BL/BP Legacy's for not too bad coin these days and I think the build quality of them is way better

yeh i was looking at the bl/bp versions but the extra cash is a killer especially as i have kid on the way soon.

i figure i can get maybe 4-5k for the old bg5 on a trade in then hopefully get a decent bh/be for around 9 - 10k so thats a 5k difference but if i went bp then its more like a 10k difference.

also are those reasonable prices for the b4 and my car?

chur

i to would opt to go bl or bp, thats coming from a be owner. to be honest if ur wagon is ok just keep it untill u have decent coin to trade up, young kids wreck cars anyway, may aswell wreck a old gtb than a new one

yeh that does seem to be the logical choice, oh well i might see how much i squeeze out of the bank. cheers fellas

edit: oh yeh and my wagon is just staring to crap out in all sorts of small ways so i figured i should flick it before it dies for good. hence the reason for upgrade

Guest boostin

Yeah, fully agree. If I was to get a BE it would be a 6. They sound so nice with a good exhaust. Otherwise the coin would go on a BL/BP.

boostin said:

Yeah, fully agree. If I was to get a BE it would be a 6. They sound so nice with a good exhaust. Otherwise the coin would go on a BL/BP.

but then you can get the ez30r.. which is just that much nicer again.. and the more silky 5AT if your that way inclined.

Personally id go with a BH, if you want to stay turbo.

I have had a lot to do with my parents' GTB wagon and it just delivers.

For a family wagon it is way better than the earlier model (less VoD issues too) and you can pick up a decent manual one for 8-9k if you look hard enough.

Id avoid dealers and go private and suss it out a bit more.

I wouldnt touch Indy Cars with a barge pole.

I guess negatives compared to the newer shape are its a twin turbo so the modding path is less straightforward, but if you want a family car then are you really gonna want it with a roaring exhaust, rock hard suspension etc etc?

Id go wagon over sedan as prams take up a feckload of room and wagons are cooler anyways.

yeh sweet, not too worried about modding it much. it might get a very quiet exhaust and maybe a couple braces/anti lift kit or something, but 206kw is plenty for all i use my wagon for (a few long trips to christchurch a lot of short trips round town and a heap of trips up the ski field). I've heard that the 6's use a lot more fuel than the twin turbs as they are 3L, has anyone got any real world experience with both? cheers

My BHE Lancaster is a big improvement over the BG9 grandwagon I had before. Just a quieter, smoother, torquier, more comfortable car. But the BL/BP are something else altogether!

That said the Lancaster was about 10k after tradein and bargaining, they gave me $2k for the grandwagon in trade.

If your car is f***ed then trade-ins are all good cos the dealer (or wholesaler) will fix it up on the cheap. You'll usually get a good 20% less than private sale, but it means far less hassles.

The 3.0 H6 actually uses a little less gas than my 2.5 g-wagon did, but it seems to still be slightly more than my mates BG GTB.

It really depends what is going wrong with your BG, you may have to price up how much it will cost to maintain it over the next while, versus just buying a newer, lower kms car.

yeah, go for the model that you can get comfortably rather than scraping it all together for a cheap bp/bl

A decent BH will be better than a cheap BP I'd say.

Scoobydoo said:

Ohhh you took one for a test drive but can't afford it... bad idea.. you're going to want it now!!

do i what!, damn that thing was nice. it just feels so refined and smooth next to my bg, pretty sure it will remain a pipe dream however.

spending good money on a bh doesnt mean it will be good, its very much a game of lotto, my bro spent similar money on his bh to what i did on my car, his has been troublesome compared to mine. whats wrong with the bg? if its not majors just keep it

I'm in the BH camp at the moment too, when it comes down to picking between. I'd go for a D rev only though. By that time they had got the TT system pretty much pinned, and are VERY good looking cars inside and out. The main reason though, is they are MUCH cheaper than the gen 4's, even though they could be both made on the same year, with the same K's. I just think they are a bit more bang for your buck. 10k vs 15k for example.

that said... if price wasn't a factor, i'd go gen 4 without a moments hesitation. Single twin scroll turbo, 6 speed's in some, and i think much sexier.