Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1996 Wrx STI Engine problems

I have a 1996 wrx sti type ra (v-ltd) that has the 5th injector.

I have just rebuilt the engine, upgraded to a vf23 turbo, chipped the ecu & put sti 440cc injectors in. I went for a drive on sunday to run the engine in & about 100km in it started to play up on me.

I would put my foot down on the go pedal & it would just start to slow down & then it would cough & go again. Then it stalled twice in nelson. 30mins later when i started it again to go home it seemed to be fine.

After getting home i noticed that it had a miss at idle & at steady revs & when driving it on thursday it would be like it hit boostcut & then it would die & be very hard to start.

I have taken the chip out of the ecu & changed the injectors back to the greys, checked for spark (plugs were very black), checked injector seals & changed the fuel pressure regulator.

Its still missing at idle & steady revs, the boost control solenoid its ticking when above idle & its blowing alot of carbon & water ( separated) out of the ass end ???

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Guest boostin

They can go for years without throwing a code.

Coils could also be the problem.

Have you tried a different town? Maybe it just doesn't like Nelson.... ???

deathz0r said:

Care to introduce yaself buddy ? :)

Dude, ffs seriously. Every time someone asks a question? Keep it in your pants I reckon and let them find help with their car.

And to the OP. Were all four plugs black and looked like they were running rich or just one (or two)??

Checked for air leaks all around the intake?

Tryd my spare afm & still the same problem. It smells very rich from the exhaust (smell burns my nose). So I'm thinking maybe the afm & o2 sensors are faulty & maybe the coils. The plugs are brand new ngk iridium's. I mite also try unpluging the 5th injector as if thats going all the time that would cause it to run rich? ???

Guest boostcut

the 5th injector isn't used anyway. its an homologation item used for wrc back in the 90s. have you got a spare computer? maybe your car doesn't like that chip.

Koom']

[quote name='deathz0r said:

/quote]

Dude, ffs seriously. Every time someone asks a question? Keep it in your pants I reckon and let them find help with their car.

LOL, its a murry thing, he is defensive of new comers entering his tribe

Bloody murrys :P

I have a zerosports chipped ecu thats for my rwd & when its plugged in it does the same thing.

I took the chip out of my ecu & put the car back to totaly standard apart from the turbo which is a vf23 now instead of a tdo5h but that didnt do a thing.

Guest boostcut

have you checked fault codes, write them down. then reset computer. then drive. check if it does it again and check codes again. report back.

Guest boostcut

have you had a timing light on it? it sounds like an intermittant problem and could be ign. related. did you check the plugs?

Guest boostcut

who built the motor? have you had it running and had the radiator cap off, the oil filler cap etc.

The headshop in blenheim built the short block & I built the rest of it myself. its my 3rd engine build in 6mths & this is the 1st time ive had a problem. Ive also got a full workshop manual for torque settings ect.

I had the radiator cap off to bleed the system out when I 1st dropd the engine in last saturday but havnt had it running with the oil filler cap off.

I just went for a drive & under acceleration it seems to run fine but at idle or steady revs it runs like crap & the idle takes awhile to settle & its using a hell of alot of fuel.

Guest boostcut

pull a vacuum hose off and see if that stabilizes the idle out. if it does then theres a problem with your idle control valve of something in the idle circut

Koom']

[quote name='deathz0r said:

/quote]

Don't like it? Get another fucking webmaster then.

We have rules, simple. I'm just doing my job.

Na haven't tryd that yet. Tryd it with the oil cap off & there was just oil smelling air coming out at idle. If I tale the brake booster line off what am I looking for? I also unplugged the afm while the car was running & it died straight away but started fine after with it unplugged still

Dont think thats it ay. Its running very rich. So its something to do with the fuel system I think as it runs good when under any kind of boost but it sounds like its drowning at idle & steady revs. Ill try taking the hose off & see how it goes.