• Raised $0.00

Who knows of an Engine Importer

NotAWhiteGTB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest keltik

Filters are for people with mechanical sympathy. Fit some nice long trumpets off each compressor inlet to where the headlight lens is. They line up perfectly :D

Koom said:

... We're only brothers from different mothers so that means we're allowed to dress each other up ;) Its not like its real incest.

Its more like brokeback, but we are alittle more careful and use protection. A fake name.

On a serious note. The only reason i wanted to find out about an EZ36R is because I would rather find out now how viable it is to swap to one. Rather than get a few years down the track and realise that i just turboed my ez30r, and it would have cost me pretty much the same money to turbo an ez36r, and the difference in swapping the motors wasnt as much as i thought it would be.

Guest keltik

Big obstacle to turboing the EZ36 would be the conrods. Also from what i understand, the EZ30 has a better bore to stroke ratio for this kind of thing. Also having aftermarket cranks available is nice.

Koom said:

Aren't the EZ36 rods bent or something stupid like that?

yer pork chop shaped.

heres a good read

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236240&highlight=ez36r&page=1

borrowed from the thread

"By offsetting the crank, you can ensure that the "left hand side" of the stroke is more horizontally prone than the right. IE, the angles of attack are different. This is actually a very interesting concept. Because the overwhelming majority of force occurs during/after detonation, and very little force is exerted on the upstroke (comparitively speaking...), skewing your angle of attack makes a lot of sense. On the downstroke, you would want an angle that provides the greatest ammount of longitudinal strength. This would equate to a more conventional 30ish or so degree drive. As you near the bottom of the crank, the rod swings out, as less lateral force is being imposed upon it. This makes timing a bit freaky, as there is a long pause between the end of the down stroke and the end of the upstroke. IE, upstroke will take longer (more distance traveled) to reach its pinacle then it would for the downstroke to reach its trough. By offsetting in pairs, this would be pretty simplistic.

To clarify! crank does not rotate directly below centerpoint of piston, but to its right or left depending on block position!"

funkytown said:

result:

poo engine to turbo by the looks

Depends what the characteristics are like i.e piston velocities and accelerations. It could be a great engine but just expensive to get strong internals for?

Koom']

[quote name='funkytown said:

result:

/quote]

Depends what the characteristics are like i.e piston velocities and accelerations. It could be a great engine but just expensive to get strong internals for?

sorry by reading up on the rod design, and the offset crank.. i'm presuming bent rods are not good for forced induction due to lack of inherent strength

Guest boostin
 Koom']

result:

/quote]

Ever priced up a set of big ends and mains for an EZ30? Genuine only, and around $900 each. Ouch.

boostin']

result:

/quote]

Ever priced up a set of big ends and mains for an EZ30? Genuine only, and around $900 each. Ouch.

does this apply to the ez30r as well.. reading just now it looks like they use the same pistons / rods / crank but the shorty cases and heads and other seals gaskets etc are different?

funkytown']

result:

/quote]

sorry by reading up on the rod design, and the offset crank.. i'm presuming bent rods are not good for forced induction due to lack of inherent strength

Looking at them, they're not bent as such, but the shank of the rod is offset from the centreline of the big end. Could be good, may not be. May provide better torque on the crank due to it being offset from the centreline therefore the peak forces are delivered later in the rotation ~90degrees rather than ~70 degrees like a normal engine. I find it quite interesting.

And Boostin, the cost of the bearings is probably more of a supply/demand thing. EJ20 bearings probably cost just as much back when the oldest one was around 80k kms old?

Guest keltik

EZ36 crank is rather different as it does/doesnt directly drive the oil pump like the ez30 one does. Cant remember which one does and which doesnt i just know they arent the same.

Also cant remember who makes a crank for the 30. I just remember reading about Cobb getting their dirty mits on one.

H6-36-Rod.jpg

Guest boostin

Funky - What??

Koom - The basic EZ has been around for nearly 10 years, and AFAIK there are no aftermarket bearings. You can't say EJ bearings weren't available aftermarket until 1999. Especially given the price of genuine and the potential profit in aftermarket bearings.

I'm just thinking that its a numbers game. There's nothing that makes them any different from any other bearing is there? They're all half round and a certain width. It comes down to whether or not there is a market that exists for a manufacturer to sell enough bearings at $x.xx to make a profit. If there's no demand, and no profit, no-one will make a product. Thats my 2c on the matter anyway ;)

p.s. How often do EZ motor's spin bearings compared to EJ's?

How hard can it be to make bearings? Couldn't you melt one of the genuine ones and get a metallurgist to tell you what exactly it was made of? If they sell for $900 surely there is some huge profit to be made, even if the yields were low. I guess it won't be backyard stuff, but by the same token, it won't need NASA's input.

Guest boostin

It's not often TBH, but my point is that yes, they are the same material as other bearings, so how hard can it be to change tooling to make yet another size, given the vast range that's already out on the market? Even if they are $500 or $600, that's still only 2/3 of the genuine price.

Guest boostin
 NotAWhiteGTB said:

You can get genuine bearings from the states through a subaru dealer over there for $260 delivered to your door NZ (That was what Dtech last payed for the ones for Bryce's car).

Now that's handy! Any idea where from? One of the guys at work has a 6 he's rebuilding.

NotAWhiteGTB said:

You can get genuine bearings from the states through a subaru dealer over there for $260 delivered to your door NZ (That was what Dtech last payed for the ones for Bryce's car).

I think that might of been 260 usa man, cause im sure i got told aroudn 500 or so nz ...even still a quater of the cost of subarus prices in nz for the same product.

Just buy an EZ36 crank and stuff it into your EZ30R Clint. Gives you 3.4L, will pull like a schoolboy but probably won't scream as hard when you're giving it a thrashing cause you'll need to use a short rod which will reduce your rod ratio quite a bit.

They're talking about it here;

http://64.135.19.19/forums/showthread.php?s=e38ea237d4d29da27955e1b91022b9fa&t=1285411&highlight=ez36r+rod

which is what Keltik was talking about earlier I think?