Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gearbox noises... Rebuild or Replace???

Guest lan_killa

Guest lan_killa

After repeated Gymkhanas and an Autocross my gearbox has started to make some interesting noises... Sort of a whirring/rubbing noise. Im suspecting a bearing has failed or is about to.

Do I rebuild the box or chuck a 2nd hand one in??? My 2nd and 3rd gear synchros would need replacing too if I was to rebuild as those gears are crunchy as all hell

id suggest you take the box out, and split it and spend $50-$100 on getting it looked at. Then you can better answer your question. - the point being your really just guessing without splitting it.

point #1) splitting a box and putting it back together is going to be more expensive than a 2nd hand one.

point #2) you'll know exactly what your getting if you do split your (unknown on another 2nd hand box).

do the first bit then weigh up point 1 and 2. and answer it yourself chap.

(when i split mine it cost me nearly $1000 for A (one) new bearing and three lock nuts, an gasket set and Ricks labour to reassemble.) i.e it gets expensive fast.

lan_killa said:

After repeated Gymkhanas and an Autocross my gearbox has started to make some interesting noises... Sort of a whirring/rubbing noise. Im suspecting a bearing has failed or is about to.

Do I rebuild the box or chuck a 2nd hand one in??? My 2nd and 3rd gear synchros would need replacing too if I was to rebuild as those gears are crunchy as all hell

I always suggest rebuilding what you already have :)

BUT it all depends on money,as has been indicated by Funky gearboxes can get expensive real fast,as if u going to split it I would be replacing all bearing,seal,gaskets before even looking at the state of the Gear clusters and syncro cones so yeah really depends on money u want to spend :)

How does the labour split out roughly? What I mean is, what are the relative times involved for the various bits; remove gearbox, split gearbox, disassemble gearset and so on. Or is the cost primarily parts? I'm just curious because mine will need some fairly serious attention at some point (4th and 5th are the synchros gone for me) and realistically I won't be doing it myself.

i found that the labour was about 50 / 50 with the few parts i needed. Its an intensive process to take all the gear sets off and reassemble the whole box.

From mem they synchros are rather $$ , but then it depends on the type of box you have. those with dccd and nice front diffs, and or close ratio boxes, its going to affect your decision i would imagine... (and be more valuable to you).

and you will know exactly what you've got at the end of the process.

id imagine 6 to be a touch on the light side but fair.

Also that wont include taking the box out and putting it back in sam.

synchros are quite $$, also a seal kit for a box is close to $200 (which you may have forgotten about), main beaings are close to $200 each (the one that wudnt come off my input shaft), and then you have oils (5l * goodness knows what price).

demo did tell you it adds up REAL fast...

knowing what i know now - id say $1500 aint to shabby tbh

Guest keltik

Yeah i was quoted 3 hours labour from geartech just to reassemble my box (i'd already split it) and adjust clearances for a new front diff. Seemed a reasonable time estimate to me.

6 hours to split a gearbox and reassemble? i've done mine a few times, i think thats quite alot of time for someone who knows what they are doing.

but thats just my opinion.

definately rebuild, split gearbox yourself, then if you have to, pay someone to pull the gearsets apart and fit the new bearings you supply. should cost you bout $100 for labour to do that, i usually get speed-tech in Hamilton to do that part for me cause i hate doing it.

Guest boostin

Personally I would be throwing in a GTB 4.44 gearbox and diff, especially if you're doing a lot of autocross and gymkhana stuff, but keep the old bits as spares and fix them yourself. Gearboxes are relatively easy.

Guest lan_killa
 subout said:

got a complete BH GTB manual conversion for 500 here ;)

could be keen... where are you? also kms and condition of box?

I may(depending on if he wants to sell) know where there is a complete setup the gearbox has been overhauled with new bearings/seal/gaskets and including new flywheel and clutch and it a bit closer but also more expensive :)