Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a BP Legacy advice

Hi

Looking for a BP Legacy 2003-06 model for my wife.

Whats the reliability like of the GT models on these and are they the same engine etc from 03-06?

Used to have a BH GTB back in the day but these were not as unreliable Ive heard.

I'm not 100% on getting the turbo model so are the non turbo models pretty bullet proof?

Any general buying advice.

Ive been looking on trademe and will get one from a dealer.

Thanks in advance

i have an 04 BPE outback, the 3.0l version, or ez30r. Its such a silky motor, and great for towing. the 5AT (auto) is such an improvement on the old 4AT.

id say the 3.0 is slightly more thirsty than the 2.0t but it has more tow down low. imo a much more bulletproof engine...

no 100km services on it as they are chain driven which is not the case with the 2.0t.

the 2.0t is back to single turbo, and twin scroll so they feel quite linear but still have great power so less to worry about compared to the older TT set ups in the GTB's

Also if you find a nice B Spec they do come in a 6 speed manual (not in the Outback tho).

check the exterior trim round the doors as i found a few that were broken or worn.

Also note the difference as there are JDM one and NZDM, with different trims, sunroofs, speedos, airbags, 5 full shoulder belts etc etc

happy hunting - we certainly love mine to bits, if your wellies based id gladly let you look at it.

GC8E2DD said:

Well that's not a GTB. You sure it didn't have a transmission swap? Maybe they got six speeds earlier in Japan.

sorry symantics, and afaik in the BP/BL era they got a GT B-spec and no such thing as a GTB as such?

The one i was talking about was a 3L, 6mt, bilstein suspension.

Do you mean the 2.ol turbo variant sam?

I have both the 2.0 GTB and a 3.0R-B spec manual.

The 3.0 is a nice engine and has given me no trouble in 30k kms. I find the power very smooth once its above 3krpm. It loves to rev. Overall very good.

The 2.0GT in auto is a bit laggy down low but has very good mid range torque. Not as exciting as the 3.0 above 5k rpm. Its very happy pulling 3-5k rpm. I have had to have the main seal replaced and it has cost me a bit as I did the waterpump/cambelt etc at the same time. This is probably due to not being maintained that well before I got it.

I'd drive both and even throw in a 2.0R if you want economy. As for fuel use, they both use very similar amounts, (9.7km/L in the 3.0)(10.3km/L in the GT). The GT will use more if you thrash it though.

Things to look for would be:

-Watch out for worn seats and interior, particularly the seat side bolsters and steering wheel.

-Try to look for something that appears to have been maintained.

-Evidence of cambelt done on a 2.0.

-Check for yellow Bilstein shocks (although I think all the imports might have them).

-Look for a unique one, with unique body items. (personal preference, I just like my cars to be a bit different, plus aftermarket bits are very expensive to import).

-Try and get one with an aftermarket stereo. The factory items cost over $500 to get rid of.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Cheers,

Logan.

funkytown said:

on the stereo thingy... the NZDM ones come with a stereo that actually works here - and a 6 indash stacker.. it sounds quite nice.

Also the NZDM come with 8 airbags, over the JDM 2

Hi - do NZDM's really come with 8 airbags? My NZ new 07 GT wagon apparently has 6 (2 front, 2 side and 2 curtains.) Unless the curtains count as 4 - 2 front and 2 rear curtains?? But I thought the curtain was a single long airbag per side... Definitely no front knee bags.

Haven't had mine long enough to comment on reliability except I need to get it checked out for a slightly strange shunting feeling on hard acceleration. Have gotten 8.6L/100 on a trip to Taupo, mainly benefiting from the long straights on highway 27. Around town, up around 11-12s. Definitely laggy but good on boost and single turbo definitely more linear power delivery than older TT setup. Mine's a facelift so 6 speed box and SI drive (gimmicky). Also slightly challenging to get the revs right on takeoff - seems to need more revs than I'm used to to avoid stalling or bunny-hopping. And reversing is terrible - stalls so easily (and 20+ years of owning manual cars means I'm no clutch-burner IMHO).

First car with fairly low profile tyres - 40 series on 18s (standard). Discovered the downsides last week - night before taking off to Taupo discovered a sidewall bulge on one tyre. Wasn't happy about having to run around the next morning to replace a near-new pirelli p-zero... Tyre guy said it could've happened months ago but only now become obvious. Sucks for me. Now I drive like a drunk guy, avoiding any suspect shape on the road.

Haven't driven the perfect car yet but overall I really like my wagon (look great, drive great). But having driven a few 3.0 manuals I could easily swap the GT for a 3.0R. You definitely won't miss anything if you choose a 3.0 over a turbo. Good luck with the shopping.

mitSUBishi-guy']

[quote name='funkytown said:

i have 6 in the front like you said so, and i have two in the rear for backseat passengers :)

mines and 04 BPE outback.

/quote]

Bum. Me ripped off then... haha. Better avoid muppet drivers as well as potholes too now!

the center belt in the rear - is yours a lap or full belt? also do you have a sunroof? (mine has bothsunroof and a full shoulder belt for the middle seat.)

funkytown']

[quote name='funkytown said:

i have 6 in the front like you said so, and i have two in the rear for backseat passengers :)

mines and 04 BPE outback.

/quote]

Bum. Me ripped off then... haha. Better avoid muppet drivers as well as potholes too now!

the center belt in the rear - is yours a lap or full belt? also do you have a sunroof? (mine has bothsunroof and a full shoulder belt for the middle seat.)

Not to mention the complementary Tweed jacket and straw sun hat...... LOL