Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Installing a VF22- Problems . .

caspros

Yeah, 18psi was what I thought was safe, after tuning etc.

The VF28 was at 18psi, 1.2bar I think.

But I still don't know what to do to lower it, as I don't want to break anything.

But, yes, the RA is indeed extra awesome.

I got some wicked mad props by a pulsar driven local.

caspros said:

Yeah, 18psi was what I thought was safe, after tuning etc.

The VF28 was at 18psi, 1.2bar I think.

But I still don't know what to do to lower it, as I don't want to break anything.

But, yes, the RA is indeed extra awesome.

I got some wicked mad props by a pulsar driven local.

do you run a boost controller? I dont know what changing turbo's would do but it should do anything by my logic, either with a controller or normal boost solenoid, coz 18psi is only 18psi.

Pm Crunchy, he might be able to help ya

when you swapped the turbo over, did you change or modify the vacuum line that run between the turbo housing, boost actuator and the wastegate actuator?

If you have swapped any you may now be missing your boost pill from the vacuum lines. it helps the controll the factory boost actuator and stop the boost spiking high.

Does the car still run factory ECU and boost control?

My guess is with the bigger exhaust housing on theres not as much back pressure and its causing it to spike.

Sorry thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

One of my friends had the same problem on a V7 sti, he was hitting 1.2 bar and was missing the boost pill, he ended up getting a electronic boost control now he's got it boosting around 16 psi again.

I would suggest buying one, especially with the bigger turbo, they make such a huge difference to how fast the boost comes on, they also stop any spiking once set up properly. I can highly recommend a greddy profec b spec 2, i little tricky to set up but magic once its set.

I have been told if you make a new boost pill with a smaller hole in it, it should help the factory set up controll the boost more acurately, not sure how true it is though.

Swindog said:

VF22's are good for 25 pounds but i blew mine up at 18 :)

Its safe if you have enough oil goin to it!

I bet they arent :D .. Ask any engine builder or Steve, oil does matter when they are eating compressor wheels.

Something like a G3 or G4 would take care of all of this won't it ?

Yup either can control the boost for you, I use my G3 for just that purpose.

You could try removing the pill!

-the bigger the hole the more air the boost solenoid has to use so it can controller the boost.

-the smaller the hole this is like a flow restriction so the higher the boost

-but there is a point where the factory system even with out the pill just can not control the boost so you need to fit a EBC or a budget bleed that vents back into the intake system.

Mine was after exhaust, VF22, & Headers

RA's with low ratio gear boxes rev alot quicker so with after market exhaust mods make it even more harder for the standard boost control system to control boost.

-I went straight for a EBC they work mint every time.

funkytown']

[quote name='Swindog said:

VF22's are good for 25 pounds but i blew mine up at 18 :)

Its safe if you have enough oil goin to it!

/quote]

I bet they arent :D .. Ask any engine builder or Steve, oil does matter when they are eating compressor wheels.

Something like a G3 or G4 would take care of all of this won't it ?

Yup either can control the boost for you, I use my G3 for just that purpose.

Yeah mate, all the looking i have done says 25psi max. The prob with mine was the wee filter in the oil feed banjo screw and the fact the hole in the banjo in the top of the turbo was .9mm not nearly enough!

VF22 is capable of 490cfm, this is good for the type of turbo but not nearly strong enough to handle it for long. Hence why mine lasted 3 years. And the thrust bearing went, pointing towards oil starvation rather than the other way round.

Soon see what happens with a Steve Murch td05/td06 that maxs out at 27psi.

98WRX (PEASANT RACING) said:

-the bigger the hole the more air the boost solenoid has to use so it can controller the boost.

Are you sure?

I thought it was the other way around, thats why when people are missing the pill i.e really big hole, they boost too high?

But I have read all this on the internet, and we all know how reliable that can be.

Stoffa']

[quote name='98WRX (PEASANT RACING) said:

/quote]

Are you sure?

I thought it was the other way around, thats why when people are missing the pill i.e really big hole, they boost too high?

But I have read all this on the internet, and we all know how reliable that can be.

I think your right there stoffa... Other wise whats the point in having it.. And also the big warning in my MBC box saying to get it the right way round

The pill is there from the factory to get the correct boost.

I have repilled alot of Evo & WRX's when I worked at Ralliart NZ.

Stage 1 -chip,exhaust, Plugs,-check fuel flow,flow check injectors, fuel pump, boost test

-they would always run 18lb-20lb so we would drill out the pill until they ran 1bar/14.77psi

My old mans Cosworth boost control works the same-they have 2 pills one for boost level & boost spike as well as having an ajustable wastegate rod to.

At Porsche we would do the same sort of thing when we fitted after market exhaust, horsepower up grade kits etc etc,

Have you tried removing your pill before?

Think about it its a restriction so it works as a air flow/speed controller or a delay.

-the air takes longer to get though a small hole then a larger one so there is less air/boost for the boost solenoid to supply to the wastgate actuator.

Do you understand about the deference between pressure & flow, Its a basic Pneumatic princible.

dont get all defensive about it, I read it on a forum somewhere, as I said I may(read must) be wrong, I can tell you my mate has a stock V7sti that was missing the pill and he was boosting at 1.4 bar. He has since put an EBC on to sort it out

If it was stock standard- And was running that much then it had a problem that even removeing the pill wont fix,

Did it have a big exhaust & STD front pipe off the turbo?

Normaly In Japan they fit a big exhaust & leave the front pipe off the turbo as STD because it still has the cat.

But this pipe is fitted from factory to detune a wrx it is no good & has zero wastegate flow so this will always cause an over boost from the low STD boost.

VF22 can do 25psi but not flow 480cfm at the same time. Its a tiny corner of their compressor map. Very few turbos can run their max PR and max flow at the same time.

Remember you might be running 18psi in the manifold but depending on your pressure losses your turbo could be making much more than that.

VF22's have been exploding comp wheels for about 10 years now - especially when pushed.

Qwerty said:

VF22 can do 25psi but not flow 480cfm at the same time. Its a tiny corner of their compressor map. Very few turbos can run their max PR and max flow at the same time.

Remember you might be running 18psi in the manifold but depending on your pressure losses your turbo could be making much more than that.

VF22's have been exploding comp wheels for about 10 years now - especially when pushed.

As i did. And the pressure readings, on mine at least, come directly off the compressor housing.

I only ever ran 18psi but was told they can run 25psi. I think from memory 18psi is 490/480cfm and 450cfm at 25. Something like that, i maybe wrong.