Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Powder Coating Vs Painting Rims

Guest DMSREX

Guest DMSREX

Hi I'm considering having my stock 16" wheels Powder Coated to a dark grey colour, however reading thru some threads on NASIOC & Rexnet AU several people are adament that powder coating weakens the rim to the point of failure. One guy who tracks his car had a rim fail on him at Eastern Creek which he put down to the powder coating process. Can anyone here let me know if they had similar experience. Not sure that painted rims will be as durable (stone chips etc) as Powder Coating. Also is there much of a cost difference between the 2 ?

Can anyone with experience let me know...

Cheers

If the rim is standard alloy then it'll be fine. However if it's a lightweight magnesium alloy like a Rays, Works etc then it will affect the rim.

I got told (by a professional powder coater BTW) NOT to get my Rays wheels powder coated, as the heating process affects the magnesium content.

If you Google it you'll find the same statements.

Powder coating should not weaken the rim at all. But yes as scoobydo says it all depends on what its made of.

Im currently in the process of getting my hands on some perfect gold 16" wheels (standard ones)

and ive decided with all the curbed ones im going to strip them and coat them ag (anti-graffiti-makes it easy to clean ;D) gloss black and use them as my track wheels.

It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend tbh.

as for the price....depends on the grey...but roughly around $120 ish through me if all the prepping was done first. (im a powder coater ;D)

chulozumo said:

Powder coating should not weaken the rim at all. But yes as scoobydo says it all depends on what its made of.

Im currently in the process of getting my hands on some perfect gold 16" wheels (standard ones)

and ive decided with all the curbed ones im going to strip them and coat them ag (anti-graffiti-makes it easy to clean ;D) gloss black and use them as my track wheels.

It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend tbh.

as for the price....depends on the grey...but roughly around $120 ish through me if all the prepping was done first. (im a powder coater ;D)

thats a good price, i paid $100 for some gtb rims 2 be painted

I was just about to ask this exact question... I bought a set of Advan RG's that I want to re-paint. In the process of sending them. I was just going to get a mate at work to paint them for a box of beers, but someone mentioned powder coating and it sounds pretty good. I may just paint them after reading this thread... Anyone actually had a set of rims powder coated and have some pics?

The set I bought has a polished lip too, I'm hoping the paint will stick to this as I don't want anything shiny on my car ;D... My painter mate said he'll use etch primed (means nothing to me... :-\).

DMSREX - Sorry to hijack your thread... I think you got the answers you wanted ???.

advanrgs.jpg

Cast wheels are heat treated to temper them. When they are made they are heat treated in a very specific manner.

The heating process of powder coating may affect the strength of the wheel.

The best option is to get them painted.

You will have much more choice of colour and if you note the paint cade you can get them touched up easily at any time.

I have had a set of cast wheels powder coated in the past and as it turned out they had also been previously repaired.

I was not aware of the repair and it let go on me.

The failure was attributed to the heat treatment being undermined by the repair being affected by the powder coating process.

NEVER AGAIN

Zaphod said:

Cast wheels are heat treated to temper them. When they are made they are heat treated in a very specific manner.

The heating process of powder coating may affect the strength of the wheel.

The best option is to get them painted.

You will have much more choice of colour and if you note the paint cade you can get them touched up easily at any time.

I have had a set of cast wheels powder coated in the past and as it turned out they had also been previously repaired.

I was not aware of the repair and it let go on me.

The failure was attributed to the heat treatment being undermined by the repair being affected by the powder coating process.

NEVER AGAIN

Thanks mate, appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll definately be painting my rims, as you mention some very valid pionts. I just have to finish sanding now...

• 1 month later...