Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Factory GTB Exhaust Butterfly thingee

Ok, so I go to pull off factory muffler to put on new TradeMe puchase (which didnt actually fit but thats another story) and i see this funny wire going from under the rear bumber and attaching to this springy looking thing on the second inlet on the back of the muffler.

WTF i say to myself, so i follow the wire back up insire the car to find this in where the jack is...

exhaustbutterfly1.jpg

And on the back of the muffler there is this little thingy mijiggy...

exhaustbutterfly2.jpg

After pondering for a while i can only assume that its some sort of butterfly that swivels opens when boosting to free up the path?

Im pretty sure ive answered my own question but just wndering if all GTB's/WRX's/Turbo cars are like this? Seems pretty random !!

Ammon666 said:

My GTB still has the factory exhaust with the Butterfly valve.

Did you not notice how much louder the car is when you hit the secondary turbo, I think this is when it opens.

Yeah kinda did notice it does have a bit more volume on it when your going at it full tit !! you must be right...

Not to worry now though its all water under the bridge, its all come off from the diff back... sounds like heaven but just a wee bit loud.

Ammon666 said:

My GTB still has the factory exhaust with the Butterfly valve.

Did you not notice how much louder the car is when you hit the secondary turbo, I think this is when it opens.

Clap clap

It is there purely for noise reasons...

As an aside: If you leave the mechanism in and fit a after market muffler with this or similar system in that is operated by the ECU (In the exact same manner as stock) then you should be OK legally NOTE: SHOULD BE OK

• General Member

oh wow never actually seen one - dont get rid of the butterfly if you remove - rare as rocking horse shit

My motor still activates but everything else long gone, keep it unless muffler rusts out is my advice, remove centre cat or the cat on the down pipe for some extra oomph

JoKer said:

oh wow never actually seen one - dont get rid of the butterfly if you remove - rare as rocking horse shit

My motor still activates but everything else long gone, keep it unless muffler rusts out is my advice, remove centre cat or the cat on the down pipe for some extra oomph

Sweet, think im just gonna do the rear muffler for now, but do you get turbo problems etc with a straight through jobbie?

GTBoy']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

Sweet, think im just gonna do the rear muffler for now, but do you get turbo problems etc with a straight through jobbie?

Yes, i went through a primary pretty quick removing all cats and just having a muffler and two resonators from the turbos back, but it went WAY harder. If it was me i would easily do it again because changing a primary turbo takes sweet f#$% all anyway and you can usually get them cheap as chip's so DO IT!!!!

NotAnotherWhiteGTB']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

Yes, i went through a primary pretty quick removing all cats and just having a muffler and two resonators from the turbos back, but it went WAY harder. If it was me i would easily do it again because changing a primary turbo takes sweet f#$% all anyway and you can usually get them cheap as chip's so DO IT!!!!

Cheers Clint...

Seeings my wee baby has 190K on the clock, the straight muffler swap is all that gonna be done, no use throwing money away... In saying that, i do own a GTB ha ha. Just want to get her a bit more respectable for Puke...

JoKer said:

+1 I hunted for one for ages and finally gave up...

GT Boy you selling? ;D

Even rarer? Better?

Now, those mufflers that aussie company makes with the butterfly in them for going loud and staying quiet. I've heard those are technically illegal here... Something to do with being easily modified so they fail the wof. I think this is what you were talking about earlier subiboy.

Cause i've got one of the dual entry muffler gizmo's in my boot too, i wonder if it is actually possible to hook it up to the xforce muffler with a bit of custom work..

Thing is though, i have no idea if it still works or not, i don't know if it's powered by the ECU or not. Cause i kinda have an STi ECU now.

JoKer said:

yup technicality illegal to have a muffler you can adjust without tools (ie bolt in silencer)

OEM like that - they cannot touch it

What this man has said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As an aside Reub, In aus they can get away with all sorts of sh!te

For instance:

1 x 4WD

1 x set of super duper wide and high muddies

1 x tin shears/metal shears/etc

cut like a mad monkey

1 x roll of rubber window edge flashing ($4/meter from M10)

make rubber edge flashing into flares for 4WD - Cheap

Perfectly legal in all states ans territories - PRICELESS...

(Check out 4WD action forums for complete rundown)

So that xforce muffler you want is legal here - sadly its pretty gray area in NZ tho - you could always buy it and just hook it up

Legal disclaimer I aint telling you how to do it, merely how I would do it:

instead of using the xforce's switch and stuff you just hook your cable up to the muffler's mechanism

Yeah that's what i was thinking. Might be an idea for before i leave for oz (parents are looking after the car, they don't like the 3" ::)).

Now i thought modifcations over there were hard to do cause the rules are so strict... Is that only with some things is it? or is that just BS?

ReubenH said:

Yeah that's what i was thinking. Might be an idea for before i leave for oz (parents are looking after the car, they don't like the 3" ::)).

Now i thought modifcations over there were hard to do cause the rules are so strict... Is that only with some things is it? or is that just BS?

Nah its not that hard depending on the state your in. Qld and Vic have some of the worst wrecks on the road (see them daily). The rules are tough but they dont do anything as there are so many loopholes its not funny...

All the cops here are worried about is the occasional speeder over school holidays, and some drinkies-drivers over a random period (christmas comes to mind, maybe easter every now and then...)

ReubenH said:

I already asked, got a no :P

I had no idea they were that rare. Makes me want one even more now...

Who would have though a stock item would have so much demand :D

Well my RPS muffler is on and GEEZ, sounds awsome, apart from sitting on the Mway doing 100... Its giving me headaches ha ha... looks like ill be swapping back to the stocker more often than intended !

rpsgtb1.jpg