Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How loud are you?

Ok so I failed my wof today ...muffler to loud 97 dbs, the wife said that they revved the shit out my B4.

A couple of questions. Is it alot louder inside the wof building than testing it outside & They said it should be 92 dbs & tomorrow I'm getting a resonator installed and was told by Wolfe mufflers 95dbs is fine?& they would write up a cert for the muffler. ;D If anyone could help....cheers. ??? WOF guys told the wife that the cops are now carrying equip to stop & read loud cars!!!! :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the debate of exhaust noise laws is that it's impossible to accurately and objectively measure purely the exhaust noise without the benefit of a completely acoutstically absorbent, isolated chamber. Testing inside would be hopeless, the sound would echo around and greatly increase the apparent volume of the exhaust. Testing outside is better, but unless the world has stopped spinning along with any other sounds nearby, you can't get a 100% accurate reading.

Last i read of the document (ages ago), it quite clearly said outside in a flat area with no buildings in x area to minimize echo. And there were only two models of meter approved for the actual test.

My leone is running around 87db.

Cheers for that. Will ask the wife for 2 readings inside/outside and see if the boys in their blue overalls allow it!! I'm quessing even with a cert from Wolfe mufflers my car will still fail as they said it to be 92dbs & wolfe say it's 95 dbs. Will update tomorrow.

You can tell your wife to let the wof guys know:

"sorry, you don't get to set the rules. No matter how small your dicks are, you still have to allow 95dB with a +/- .5dB, just like everybody else.

WOF guys are a joke, and love to try it on whenever a "modded jap" car turns up.

Just took the car to the local VTNZ and, as an example of the lack brainpower found at these places, watched the tester (who was clearly looking for a boot release) pop my fuel flap, shut it and proceed to repeat the same operation 7 more times (clearly expecting a different reaction). After 8 attempts, i went over and told him there wasn't a boot release and to use the boot key.

He told me i wasn't allowed inside!

Funny, looked like i was more qualified to be there than him...

DPI said:

You can tell your wife to let the wof guys know:

"sorry, you don't get to set the rules. No matter how small your dicks are, you still have to allow 95dB with a +/- .5dB, just like everybody else.

WOF guys are a joke, and love to try it on whenever a "modded jap" car turns up.

Just took the car to the local VTNZ and, as an example of the lack brainpower found at these places, watched the tester (who was clearly looking for a boot release) pop my fuel flap, shut it and proceed to repeat the same operation 7 more times (clearly expecting a different reaction). After 8 attempts, i went over and told him there wasn't a boot release and to use the boot key.

He told me i wasn't allowed inside!

Funny, looked like i was more qualified to be there than him...

LOL. I did hear on the radio that there were a few VTNZ wof stations are closing down as they weren't up to scratch, now I could be wrong. And I hear wofs are going up soon to $50 new overalls are needed!!!

• General Member

I had an issue with my exhaust the other day, young fella at the VTNZ was down on his knees listening to the exhaust which gave me a bit of a chuckle but the intent was clear.

Luckily the older guy who always passes me just came out and told him to grow up and pass it. Gave me a laugh.

Im quite lucky that the guys whos the boss at that particular station has been giving me warrants since I got my first car so he doesnt go easy on me or anything but hes quite good about exhaust noise and things like that.

Simon C said:

To be fair, you do have a Spec C which lacks a boot release lever ;)

Yeah, but to be fair, he did try to open the boot 8 times using the same lever which failed to open it the first time ???

Just for reference... (Straight from the Horses Mouth.. well, website)

What are the noise limits?

In order to pass an Objective Noise Test, the vehicle must not exceed the following noise limits.

Vehicle type Maximum noise level (dBA)

Motorcycle or trike with an engine capacity of 125 cc or less 96

Motorcycle or trike with an engine capacity of more than 125 cc 100

Light goods or passenger vehicle (eg, car, MPV, minibus, ute or van)

First registered in NZ before 1 June 2008 95

First registered in NZ on or after 1 June 2008, and:

manufactured before 1 January 1985 95

manufactured on or after 1 January 1985 90

maybe you Auckland guys (or them that dont mind the drive) should come to South Auckland for the wof test.. never gets tested out here, probably the biggest problem out this way..

----------------

Wondering if you guys recon the system would be quieter or louder, if the exhaust was split at the rear into 2 pipes.. 3" straight through to a 2 1/2 inch tips.. I was thinking of doing on the GTB

I thought spiting may take some of the noise out of it.

Simon C said:

You're just trying to lure our Subarus into South Auckland so all your bros can go steal our rides, au! ;)

my bros live in Northshore.. LOL I moved here from there because my business is here..

BUT If I wanted to steal Subarus, i wouldn't need you to come out here, we are mobile .. we offer a door to door retrieval services.. so lucky for you I don't steal them, nor do my bros's

maybe you have been reading the paper to much... bad things happen everywhere..

Hopai said:

Just for reference... (Straight from the Horses Mouth.. well, website)

What are the noise limits?

In order to pass an Objective Noise Test, the vehicle must not exceed the following noise limits.

Vehicle type Maximum noise level (dBA)

Motorcycle or trike with an engine capacity of 125 cc or less 96

Motorcycle or trike with an engine capacity of more than 125 cc 100

Light goods or passenger vehicle (eg, car, MPV, minibus, ute or van)

First registered in NZ before 1 June 2008 95

First registered in NZ on or after 1 June 2008, and:

manufactured before 1 January 1985 95

manufactured on or after 1 January 1985 90

Yes I saw that on their website, if one goes in & passes on 95 dbs that is fine BUT if you fail your muffler must be 92 dbs to pass!!!!! again. To recap I failed at a 97 dbs then woolf mufflers installed a resonator & on their cert db reading is 93.8 which my car failed again, the manager of the VNTZ got invovled & after some heated discussion between my wife & the boys in their blue overalls I have a warrant. Looks like I'll have to invest in a new silent muffler in six months!!!!!

I fail to understand why *some of you guys* (maybe gals) keep going back to VNTZ ... needless to say it's not a safety issue, I was told my exhaust is loud, but so (LOL) i don't get pulled up on it at the WOF place, so I don't bother.

What I mean, I guess is that, most of your cars are all in top shape, safety wise, seems like a waste of energy and money to fork out for it now, I'd rather wait until I get pulled up on it. (if you have been pulled up on it, then thats a bummer) seems to me VTNZ people get wood every time a modified import rolls in to there testing station..

Glad I don't go there.

what happens if they lower it again.. most of you will have to do it all over again.. that's sad really

MAD said:

I fail to understand why *some of you guys* (maybe gals) keep going back to VNTZ ... needless to say it's not a safety issue, I was told my exhaust is loud, but so (LOL) i don't get pulled up on it at the WOF place, so I don't bother.

What I mean, I guess is that, most of your cars are all in top shape, safety wise, seems like a waste of energy and money to fork out for it now, I'd rather wait until I get pulled up on it. (if you have been pulled up on it, then thats a bummer) seems to me VTNZ people get wood every time a modified import rolls in to there testing station..

Glad I don't go there.

what happens if they lower it again.. most of you will have to do it all over again.. that's sad really

Amen to that!!