Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Big exhaust ... little rumble?

Hi everyone,

I've got a 1997 BG Legacy GT TT, it has an Apex'i Dunk Megaphone exhaust on it, which is pretty big, but it sounds nothing like the other legacys on the road in terms of nice rumble. It's fairly quiet despite the exhaust's size. Upon inspection it looks like its fitted from the axel back, and there are a few small holes in the piping around the axel. Can anyone help me out because I know nothing about cars and even less about soobs :-\ And I would love a nice rumble from my legacy! :D

No you dont need a full system to achieve the rumble. Your muffler has just been designed to have a dB level similar to stock which is killing the rumble.. Best bet is to try and get another second hand unit of trademe or similar or have a rage/rps muffler fitted at a muffler shop.

Guest S T  E Y E

na weell thats only half of the story really...the real deep loud rumble is from having fuck all back pressure...

i run a straight 3 inch exhaust from the back of the turbo to a RPS big bore and the rumble is pure deep..i love the sound...

so if u didnt wana go all out on the full exhaust ...removing the catylic converter make the rumble alot better and if u have standard muffler underneath car with baffles the exhaust gases pass through then itl be muffling the suby rumble...

a standard exhaust with siamese dump pipe and catilic converters and mufflers removed has a nice rumble but 3 inch is alot deeper...

and a straight through exhaust is far best for performance as less back pressure = faster turbo spool....

I am in no way intending to start a fight if someone dis agrees with what ive said im meerly going off my own experiences

Jord said:

Whats your budget?

hah athe best question so far lol...

(was thinking of asking but didnt...)

yea man u can do as budget dictates

on a small budget, get a proper big bore muffler only

and if u bit rich in the wallet then get things like a siamese pipe and all that done as that will improve performance heaps as well

pappu']

just need a suityable rear muffler bro and u will have some hard rumble.. RPS ones usually have a fairly hard rumble on them (on my old GT i had an RPS tip only and it had a very hard rumble)

what area u from?

They rumble hard but sitting at 100K on the open road they just get plain old anoying with the droning, this starts at roughly 80K...

We had it on a 94RS if that helps explain the droning

Also a note on catalytic converters:

[quote name='LVTNZ Reasons for rejection of a WOF said:

A vehicle (other than group L vehicle or a class MA or MC motorsport vehicle with a valid motorsport authority card) that was first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 May 2010 and manufactured from 1 January 1990 has a catalytic converter removed where there is evidence that one was originally fitted, and there is no written evidence issued by a TSDA that the vehicle passed a prescribed metered emissions test in this condition

All you need is one pedantic inspector...

Guest S T  E Y E

and u say it didnt come into the country with a catilic convertor in??

to your knowledge and the whole time urv owned it its never had one??

as for budget id pick up a second hand siamese dump pipe and u could keep ur rear muffler but instead if u have mufflers under the car (the big box kind) replace them with cobys (resonators) these do lower the sound level comparing to straight pipe...

if u were to run a straight through standard exhaust with a siamese downpipe and some cobys etc u would get great performance vs stock and u would get some suby rumble and it wouldnt be soo killer loud...

so u dont like the rumble on the open road???

with my straight 3 inch its hella loud at 100k...but i love it...i get out of the car after rotorua to auckland drive and i turn it off and i can still hear it pumping away hahahahahahahaha

hope any of this helps u any bro

it really comes down to how much coin u got and wat u wanna do with it...

3 inchs are hard to keep quite even with cobys etc in the system...

but defonatly get a 2nd hand siamese dump pipe off the forum here ull love the performance gain they can offer

Guest S T  E Y E

oh forgot to add...

get the louvered style of resonator (coby)

they dramaticly reduce noise compared to normal un louvered cobys (resonators)

and not sure if ur car will have the cat in the dump pipe or underneath but yea take it out and u get a way better rumble and better turbo spool