Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Noob brake question

Sti 4 pot calipers, there are two types? am i right?

the type with subaru on em and the type without.

What are the differences if there are any?

Guest loren
 CRRUPT said:

Sti 4 pot calipers, there are two types? am i right?

the type with subaru on em and the type without.

What are the differences if there are any?

Never seen or heard of a subaru 4 pot caliper without subaru written on ... there are brembos that

newer STis have, but only one type of subaru 4 pot that I know of. if there is one without subaru written

on them, then I can't imagine there will be much difference.

BTW nissan 4 pots are identical to suabru's, and the subaru rear 2 pot caliper is the same as the nissan one as well.

Guest loren
 Optical said:

^agree with above except for the nissan 4 pot thing. 2 pot nissan rear calipers fit, but there are a couple of different nissan 4 pots and some dont fit at all

good to know.

ok no sorry, they are 2 pots but they are definately off an sti. they are sightly bigger in size than the 2 pots on my wrx

so there was stis that came with larger than wrx, 2 pots? were the 4 pots with the subaru logo on them like an option or something?

disclaimer: this is correct to the best of my knowledge/understanding. feel free to discuss

V0 WRX / WRX-RA

V1 WRX / WRX-RA / STI

V2 WRX / WRX-RA / STI / STI-RA

V3 WRX / WRX-RA

V4 WRX / WRX-RA

V5 WRX / WRX-RA

V6 WRX / WRX-RA

15" ventilated twin pot fronts, 14" ventilated single pot rears

------------

V3 STI

V4 STI

V5 STI

V6 STI

16" ventilated 4pot fronts, 14" ventilated single pot rears

----------

V3 STI-RA / STI-R

16" ventilated 4pot fronts, 15" ventilated single pot rears (r180)

----------

V4 STI-RA / STI-R / 22B

V5 STI-RA / STI-R

V6 STI-RA / STI-R

16" ventilated 4pot fronts, 15" ventilated twin pot rears (r180)

loren said:

I doubt you'd notice any difference going to 2 pot rears either.

Um yeah you do. Big time. Keep your two pots on front and put two pots on the rear. Very noticable difference. Increase the clamp force and then increase the disc diameter makes more of a difference over stock.

And Nick will back me up on this one, changing my wrx from 2 pot front and single rears to 4 pot front 2 pot rear i knocked 3 secs off my lap times. Twas the only change i made between track days.

5UBZRO']

[quote name='Dv8er - FSTWRX said:

Normal WRX STi has 1pot rears, STi RA and R have 2 pot rears.

Well until V7 Anyway

/quote]

I have a 97 STi RA and it only has single pots on the rear......

yeah i typed out the list above to clarify all the random info.

Swindog']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

Um yeah you do. Big time. Keep your two pots on front and put two pots on the rear. Very noticable difference. Increase the clamp force and then increase the disc diameter makes more of a difference over stock.

And Nick will back me up on this one, changing my wrx from 2 pot front and single rears to 4 pot front 2 pot rear i knocked 3 secs off my lap times. Twas the only change i made between track days.

Could you not lock up your brakes on your original setup?? What pads were you using on the two setups?

Koom']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

Could you not lock up your brakes on your original setup?? What pads were you using on the two setups?

Negative. Can now tho.

With the four pots i just run Ferodo Excels. They do the biso on the track with heat in them, squeaky round town though.

2 pots i had ultimates in them i think and some mintex on the back.

You def notice the upgrade, spec if you bleed your system real good with quality fluid. More important than the pads me thinks.

Swindog']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

Negative. Can now tho.

With the four pots i just run Ferodo Excels. They do the biso on the track with heat in them, squeaky round town though.

2 pots i had ultimates in them i think and some mintex on the back.

You def notice the upgrade, spec if you bleed your system real good with quality fluid. More important than the pads me thinks.

What tyres do you use?

I have never had a problem locking up Eagle F1's or Toyo T1-R's using the small ~280mm rotors and two piston calipers. The only issue I have had is overheating the rotors. I also use Motul RBF600 fluid which I have never managed to overheat.

So you're saying that an increase of 15mm overall diameter in rotors has made that much of a difference when using similar pads?? Although your car possibly also started off with the 295mm rotors aswell.

I just find a 3 sec per lap difference rather hard to believe. Weather any different between each time out on the track?

Guest loren
 Swindog']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

rubbish. total and utter. learn some physics and have a look at the condition of the rear pads and disks compared to the front

of any car that has been on the track.

The problem with your statement

Keep your two pots on front and put two pots on the rear

is you have nothing to back it up. Your logic is flawed. You didn't even follow your own advise.

changing my wrx from 2 pot front and single rears to 4 pot front 2 pot rear i knocked 3 secs off my lap times. Twas the only change i made between track days.

By your own admission to gain this 3 seconds a lap you also added 4 pots to the front plus you have changed front pads.

As the front brakes do 80% of the braking adding 4 pots + new pads to front might have something to do with the improvement !

• 2 months later...

Ask kaminko about the 3 sec difference. He timed it.

And i run Direzza DZ101's.

I shell now find the information from a brake expert who suggested running a larger disc with a a single or two pot caliper. This is supposed to give better braking as per my previous posts.

For those who wish to call bs your saying there would be no difference from going from single pot rears with factory disc to larger disc and two pots?

I think you should try it before you go spouting your mouths.

Loren. Total and utter rubbish?

I think not. It was the only change and my previous laptimes were consistant as well as the lap times with the brake change. The change i made from the previous track day was fresh discs on the front with 4 pots, new rbf600 fluid, larger discs on the rear with 2 pots on adaptors.

Say what you will.

Qwerty...he was asking advice for brake change. Your telling me he wouldnt notice a larger disc and caliper upgrade from stock with just changing his rears only? Thats the point i was trying make. it would be noticble to do that.

I think it's just the way u worded it mate, as even I read it that the new time was made from when u had 4 pot fronts on along with 2 pot rears, whilst the previous time was ran on 2 pot fronts stock rears. Hence why the 2 pot argument is being debated as u mentioned on ur new setup u had 4 pots on also, not trying to stir just reading my take on thiis.