Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GAS ???

Wanted to find out what your opinion is of the gas here. Being new from Canada there are three different blends to choose from and the regular is suitable for most cars. Is there a huge difference between the regular and the higher octane here? What would be the impacts of using the reg?

detonation

Dont do it! Personally I use BP 98, but i used to use Shell 96(before BP 98 came down here obviously) to no obvious detriment.

There are 3 octane available

91 ron

95 ron

98 ron

So there is quite abit of difference. The lower the grade the less potential performance and greater risk of detonation / engine damage. Depends on your driving style + car.

Most of the cars in NZ are from japan so like higher octanes.

If you like your car use 98.

• General Member
 Qwerty said:

91 ron

95 ron

98 ron

So there is quite abit of difference. The lower the grade the less potential performance and greater risk of detonation / engine damage. Depends on your driving style + car.

+1

You may also find some fuels near you are a Ethanol blend, Subaru reccomends you do not use these, personaly I have had no issues after about 15 thousand k into my new engine but as I say Subaru say its a no no.

Mobil sells 97.5 at some stations. I only use mobil myself.

Also, we use RON here, not MON or Mean octane. I know the US uses Mean, which is "RON+MON/2" Don't know if that's what they use in canada though. 98 octane here, is like 93 or 94 octane in the states or something like that.

If your subie is a turbo, make sure you only use 98, the savings you get by getting 95 are negated by the fact the car will use more petrol on 95. In some cases it's even more expensive to use 95 because of this (will depend on the car, driving style, and prices that day). and NEVER EVER use 91. Not even in a non turbo subie, cause the N/A's use high compression ratio's.

Qwerty said:

91 ron

95 ron

98 ron

101 RON is also available if you keen for a long drive to Marsden Point, etc..

• 1 month later...
Guest dcornie

Mobil Takapuna, Forest Hill, Wairau Road, Hillside, Constellation Drive and Oteha Valley Road

BP Wairau Road, Silverdale, Whangaparaoa, Dairy Flat and Onewa Road

Disruptz']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

91 ron

95 ron

98 ron

/quote]

Where at Marsden Point can you get this 101 RON fuel you speak of?

Qwerty said:

not MON or Mean octane.

MON is actually Motor Octane Number nothing to do with mean...

thats right. MON is Motor Octane Number, and the testing for this is more severe than for RON or Research Octane Number, so for the same fuel the MON is lower than the RON.

US pump gasoline uses the average of these two, and this is called the mean octane, average octane, or PON, Pump Octane Number.

D-Style']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

91 ron

95 ron

98 ron

/quote]

Where at Marsden Point can you get this 101 RON fuel you speak of?

i too would like to know, i may be moving up them ways at the end of the year

no 98 up north here, i use Gull Bio Fuel-bound to be some hi octane juice out at Marsden Point, but wouldnt avgas from local runway be similar? lol-have also heard there are a few pumps around waikato & one out kumeu way that have 101, read it from here awhile back...