Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

5 puk heavy duty clutch

does anyone run a 5 puk clutch in their daily?

what's it like as a daily drive?.....especially in traffic.......taking off etc

I'm considering one for the '89 RS...... which I use for track and daily drive. I run a '94 RS gearbox

I've been told 5 puk is overkill for my needs.... but I may be able to score one (2nd hand good one)......at a good price

I've driven on this particular clutch when it was in another '89 RS.

Can't say it felt that much diff from my own...but that was changing gears on the open road....not round town in traffic......or stopping 'n starting often etc...

your thoughts?..........pros n cons?

i use a 6 puk on a 6speed set up, its great. i would more say ive got used to it than its like a normal clutch.

mine doesnt shudder (though gregs - the same as mine, does).

its reasonably on or off - but not nearly as rough as what ppl described it would be like to me.

it might be a touch rough on the weaker RS box you run but if your nice should be fine. It might not be that nice if you were stuck in traffic EVERY day on the commute - otherwise fine imo.. i love mine

i swapped at 235wkw as i found the standard one wasn't clamping enough, i now also have a 3400lbs pressure plate to go with it - also quite a light flywheel

* these are my own opinions and experiences of how mine feels to me. I've not got another puck clutch i've driven to compare to.

cheers thanks for that.........I thought about this clutch as future proofing too because I'm slowly building up another STI spec long block which I'm hoping will push out a bit more power.

sweet......so you just got used to it?

wildturkey said:

ok.....interesting......so not so horrible to drive........and yours is a 6 puk?...............which would be worse than a 5 puk to drive daily?

its not horrible to drive - i dunno which is worse sorry. Note a light flywheel and my clutch being 6mt (slighter bigger) it should in theory be worse than a heavy flywheel and 5mt variant.

I've had 3x 5-PUK ceramic clutches. They are a b!tch to drive in traffic. The shudder and you have to rev the car a bit to take up the clutch.

Absolutely fantastic for any trackwork at all! Can't fault them.

But for daily driving, especially in stop-start traffic, would recommend that you avoid.

PS am assuming your 5-PUK is the same as my 5-PUK ceramic. :\

+1 i ran a 4puk in my old car and it was a bitch to drive with.but very very gripy and not nice on my gearbox lol

I run a exedy hyper single which is a un sprung 6 puck with 3000pound pressure plate . Chatters quite loud and shudders hard if you dont know how to drive . . You do get use to it . . The shuddering is from being a un sprung centre . . Sprung centre wont shudder . . . I drive mine daily a hour each way to work . . And I think its fine . Like I said you get use to it . And the number of pucks dont really mean any thing -just different design . Different size surface area . . . In my opinion a 6 puck with smaller size pads would be better than a 5 puck with larger pads (even if the over all surface area was the same) as the smaller pads would cool quicker . . . Which is the whole point of having a puck plate . . . . I would suggest a sprung centre if you dont want to shake ya interior to pieces . .

6puk?and your gbox is still in 1 peice?lol havnt driven a 6puk before ah.the 4puk that was in my gtx was a bitch,and i mean bitch.lol

1hour to drive to work?lol were the hell do you work?lol

The puck does not dictate how strong the clutch is if you read above . . . . Solid centre has that instant grip where the sprung centre has that "give" in it to take shock load off drive train . . Solid centre is awesome for gear changes and the launchs are mint :) instant grip

Solid centre that doesn't shudder ? Ive had like 4 or 5 various puck clutchs in different cars and the solid centre shudder. . . I had one sprung and it drove like a grippy standard clutch . . . A solid centre will shudder when you ride it . If you get it just right then you just take off with a bit of a jerk . . . The springs in the clutch plate are there to stop chatter / shudder . .

Lol weird . What brand ? What fly wheel you use ? Ive had a brand new exedy sports tuf 5 puck solid centre on a factory fly wheel (machined) and it shuddered . . . Now have a hyper single which comes with its own light weight fly wheel . . . Shudders too . . . .

al said:

I've had 3x 5-PUK ceramic clutches. They are a b!tch to drive in traffic. The shudder and you have to rev the car a bit to take up the clutch.

Absolutely fantastic for any trackwork at all! Can't fault them.

But for daily driving, especially in stop-start traffic, would recommend that you avoid.

PS am assuming your 5-PUK is the same as my 5-PUK ceramic. :\

thanks Al....yep I had heard that about stop start traffic. I'm not sure if the one I'm looking at is ceramic or not I will have to find out. Yes I'm looking at a clutch that can take the bash on the track and is still ok for daily drive............I'll just have to make sure I don't end up in start stop traffic.........which is rarely anyway cause I take the train in and out of town

WRXONP said:

Lol weird . What brand ? What fly wheel you use ? Ive had a brand new exedy sports tuf 5 puck solid centre on a factory fly wheel (machined) and it shuddered . . . Now have a hyper single which comes with its own light weight fly wheel . . . Shudders too . . . .

can you post pics of soild centre and sprung centre?

Uh im on my phone so I cant . Sprung will have springs and a hub on the clutch plate where it slips onto the splines of the gearbox input shaft . Springs will be sideways providing the hub to have a dampner if you like . . . Solid centre is just that. No hub straight solid clutch plate . . . .

Need the view of the other side of the 2nd pic (the clutch itself) It look solid center, but not 100% untill see other side.

It looks rooted. Very little meat left before rivots, and pressure plate looks very worn.