Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

5 puk heavy duty clutch

Whats wrong with your factory clutch Joe? I am running a factory one and had no issues. I ran a 4 puck before that and it was horrible, very on off and easy to overheat if you try to slip it to drive in traffic. I would suggest just stick with your stock one until you have enough torque that it doesn't handle it anymore, by which stage your box may well not like you either if you launch it. So then you can just go straight to a 6 speed..?

I've driven a couple of cars with the 5puk clutches in them; either I can't drive, or don't know how to use a clutch properly. But I had a bit of bunny-hopping at first. Could probably get used to it after a while. Would definitely not use one for a daily driven car, for a motorsport or track car - yes, as I notice even my normal sti clutch slips when I attempt to launch it. That was a 5spd box, the 6spd ones could very well differ...

But as Viv said, I wouldn't use it on a RS box, a STI or RA box - maybe

I'll prob be on the look out for a clutch soon, most likely I'll just get another Exedy one.

Munkvy said:

Whats wrong with your factory clutch Joe? I am running a factory one and had no issues. I ran a 4 puck before that and it was horrible, very on off and easy to overheat if you try to slip it to drive in traffic. I would suggest just stick with your stock one until you have enough torque that it doesn't handle it anymore, by which stage your box may well not like you either if you launch it. So then you can just go straight to a 6 speed..?

cheers Viv....................was thinking more future proofing and maybe I could get this one at a good price.............from what people have said though this one's pretty shagged so will pass...........thanks anyway

On my old wrx that I fitted a exedy sports tuf solid centre 5 puck . The gearbox didn't like the shock load (non sti) and lost 1st and 2nd gear pretty quick . . . However my sti with solid 6 puck with heavier pressure plate is lasting allot longer with even more abuse . . Dont know if the ver 2 box is allot weaker than ver 3 sti but guess it is . . But I think theres more shock on the gearbox when you launch and you have grip as opposed to launching and losing traction straight away . . . . . But my axles clean shearing in to 2 pieces show the clutch is not very nice to the drive line ha ha but thats the way I like it :P

ive driven 3,4,5 and 6 puks the unspung ones are really hard on the gearbox but never had once blown any box, shudders hard... i find the less puk u got the harder to drive... i prefer the 6puks spunged easy to drive and got grip when u need it. if you want to soften the shudder down get a softer pressure plate, 3000lb is over rated for street use.

i still got my 5spd one hanging on my garage wall... ive now upgraded to a 6spd box ( overated IMO ) looking to upgrade to a 6puk after reflashing but i will stay clear away from the clutch shop in upper hutt went through lots of clutch in the past, thought it was my drving style but everyone gone through it also. i havent had any clutch change since i went back factory clutch

puk clutch is really good if you a lot of Melling lights racing/drag racing and autocross and towing cars/boats but as for tracks im sure that factory is fine

mine is exeedy 6 puk brass button clutch sprung centererd & H/D pressure plate & i use a 4.5kg flywheel & it's the sh1t (BUT it's no good in traffic or reversing) & down changing you have to blip the throttle other wise it's like jumping on the brakes it's that aggressive.

I wouldn't do it again but i dont drive it daily & try to avoid traffic, it doesn't slip & bites hard out, i'll be having a really good look at my driveshaft universel's (sp) when i change the g/box soon.

i should have turned up when you were down in the 03 jon, i would hae taken you for a spin :)

CUDDAS said:

mine is exeedy 6 puk brass button clutch sprung centererd & H/D pressure plate & i use a 4.5kg flywheel & it's the sh1t (BUT it's no good in traffic or reversing) & down changing you have to blip the throttle other wise it's like jumping on the brakes it's that aggressive.

I wouldn't do it again but i dont drive it daily & try to avoid traffic, it doesn't slip & bites hard out, i'll be having a really good look at my driveshaft universel's (sp) when i change the g/box soon.

i should have turned up when you were down in the 03 jon, i would hae taken you for a spin :)

that you should have my friend - i love your build. its all class! i hope i could return the favour some time.

oh - i definitely have to rev match on the down shift .. or its not nice.

p.s haha hello corey :)

Yea my clutch is a beast if you change to slow . You let the clutch out on up shift when the revs are right to stop shudder. . Its like rev matching decel down changes . . . . But when giving it to it the grip is worth it ha

• 1 month later...
 wildturkey said:

does anyone run a 5 puk clutch in their daily?

what's it like as a daily drive?.....especially in traffic.......taking off etc

I'm considering one for the '89 RS...... which I use for track and daily drive. I run a '94 RS gearbox

I've been told 5 puk is overkill for my needs.... but I may be able to score one (2nd hand good one)......at a good price

I've driven on this particular clutch when it was in another '89 RS.

Can't say it felt that much diff from my own...but that was changing gears on the open road....not round town in traffic......or stopping 'n starting often etc...

your thoughts?..........pros n cons?

Contact Autoclutch in morningside auckland Top advice to match your requirement and budget. "Clamp it hard" regardless of plate configuration.!

Ive got a exedy organic clutch.... not sure if its sprung centred or not.... never had it shudder or anything. Wouldnt have a clue if its puk or not but i find it great for driving round town.... Nice and stiff but easy to drive with... If someone could enlighten me to a few details about my clutch?

kamineko said:

http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=exedy+organic+clutch

2nd link is exedy main site, check the sport clutch page

and

http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=exedy+organic+clutch+subaru

lots of subaru related clutch discussion

google is your friend :)

Exedy clutchs in my opinion are rubbish, They use the name to overcharge. Autoclutch will give you the clamp you require with no increase in pedal force.

Those 3000 lb clamp ones you can buy are also bad news, Had new one one checked for clamp force at 1880lb when it slipped under hi boost upon installation. The pedal force was very hard too with sudden Grab!

Auto clutch reset it at 4200 lb. Pedal force is now light and has great feel...And the slipping also stopped.

AUTOCLUTCH thanks!!

WRXONP said:

exedy are the world leader in clutches like it or not they make most other brands clutches for them !

You cannot adjust them, or get spares for them,(Twin plate model) over rated and over priced!

Autoclutch The best advice for your subaru! Ask Hayden Paddon if you get the chance!

Possum also used this company to set his clutches!!

Exedy do have clutches made for them, then they re sell to you over priced based on their name!

soopersubaru']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

exedy are the world leader in clutches like it or not they make most other brands clutches for them !

/quote]

You cannot adjust them, or get spares for them,(Twin plate model) over rated and over priced!

Autoclutch The best advice for your subaru! Ask Hayden Paddon if you get the chance!

Exedy do have clutches made for them, then they re sell to you over priced based on their name!

yeah.. my cusco 'exedy' twin carbon/metallic clutch new is worth more than the rest of my car! but i'm sure you can get replacement friction plates? also what adjustment are you talking about?

Cusco and HKS twins are super $$$.

Autoclutch is great, until something goes wrong with a clutch and they tell you to get F*****.

Dont get me wrong, great products, but customer service is really poor. They cancelled my dads account and we have no idea why, he made up some story saying this and that, honestly I think he got us mixed up with another one of his customers!!!

Anyhow, if we need to go through them we use a 2nd party.

I custom make Quartermaster twin plate kits to suit any model car (price starts at $1700 with a custom billet flywheel!).

Would love to have the chance to do a Subaru conversion. Sold SO many Evo conversions now and everyones super happy with the results - Alot of these guys had HKS ones which destroyed them selves. You cant really go wrong if top tuners in NZ like Speedtech and Edgell use Quartermaster on their cars :D.

kamineko']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]

yeah.. my cusco 'exedy' twin carbon/metallic clutch new is worth more than the rest of my car! but i'm sure you can get replacement friction plates? also what adjustment are you talking about?

As per a previous post,,, Clamp force is set and calibrated by Autoclutch. Had one of those alleged 3000lb clamp ones slip and it had a real hard pedal, was brand new but BNT said they would not refund, (Usual carry on with clutch bits) took it to AUTOCLUTCH and Neill reset it to 4200lb from the 1800lb he measured!! , when refitted it had great pedal feel an it sure as hell don,t slip anymore.

Full clutch with plate and heaps of clamp from them is around $750....It varies with each style of Clutch disc/material. Top stuff at a great price.