Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

98 STI Problem....

Hi Guys got a little problem...

Mylittle cousin has a 98 ra sti which has been played with – bigger turbo aftermarket computer etc

We were drivin it on Friday night and the whole thing just died while doing 50kms

No power all the lights came on the dash and then nothing

After stuffing around towed it to my house. Had a guy come over and check it out and he suggested checking the cam angle sensor

Replaced that with a second hand one from a guy at work and she fired up perfectly

Took it for a decent drive around the block for 20mins and it didn’t miss a beat

Parked it up and left it for the night

Went home to pick it up at lunch time and it starts but idles like its got a dirty lumpy cam and doesn’t react to the throttle being pushed or anything?

Haven't had a chance to put the old sensor back in yet....any suggestions would be ncie :)

check your wiring as mentioned.

Seems to be an electrical problem.

If all wiring seems fine check AFM and possibly replace.

Could just be as simple as water getting somewhere it shouldnt be!

ok a little update....

got home first of all changed the cam sensor over to make sure it wasn't that - same thing

checked all fittings etc

took air filter and airflow meter off - gave it a bit of a "love" tap put it all back together and it worked fine?

took it for another 30min drive around down / open road driving and was mint

parked in garage for approx an hour was about to take it out to work and same thing again.... but this time no luck with hitting anything...

Looks like it will be a trailer job tomorrow

ok , so it starts and runs rough!

Could be a number of things

fuel pressure

failed AFM

Vac leak

Too much to diag over the net, think you need some one to have a look at it in person

yeah def a strange one....considering over an hour ago it was running so good

will take it to the boys @ work and hopefully they will be able to track down what is going on

just thought if i could at least point them in a few directions it would be good :) (bmw mechanics)

bro just to confirm - when u press the throttle it does not rev or anything ay - \

my mates v5 used to do that - similar noise as well

was fuel pump issue

1 - rewire just the fuel pump so its got a strait supply of power and groung fromm battery (independant from car wiring) and see if that makes a difference

2- change the fuel pump and see if makes a difference

and lastly - have u got an alarm imobliser on the fuel pump circuit?? - thats why doing step number 1 just incase its the supply to the pump

fuel pickup clogged at pump??

im pretty sure that will sort things out (did for him anyway)

edited for better reading

keep us updated bro

a small update..... have tried another air flow meter - nothing different

checked fuel pump and tried powering from a different souce same thing

tried another crank angle sensor

Do the TPS switch or Idle Control play up on this model much? I did have a quick play around with the idle control and did manage to make it idle better for a bit ... do these normally play up at all?