Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

best bang for buck?

Kiwi_Fozze

a Walbro supplys enough pressure and enough flow of 255 litres per hour that you won't lean the last cylinder . . . but you can still lean out due to other problems ! split rails are a piece of mind thing . . but in my opinion split rails under 200kw is a waste of time

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my opinion . the need for split rails is just like the need for a adjustable fuel pressure reg ! you can put it there if you want ! but if the rest of your set up is proper then there isn't a need just a want lol. . . some people see it different . . . on standard fuel pump without split rails you do tend to lean the last cylinder

Dont get the chiniese imitation ones bro.. plz get genuine..

no extra anything noticeable when uhave the walbro in place but inside u will; know its not going to lean

have done lots of swaps for subys and always used genuine stuff..

WRXONP said:

in my opinion . the need for split rails is just like the need for a adjustable fuel pressure reg ! you can put it there if you want ! but if the rest of your set up is proper then there isn't a need just a want lol. . . some people see it different . . . on standard fuel pump without split rails you do tend to lean the last cylinder

The reason for the lean out is not lack of pressure. It is due to fuel to the last cylinder being hotter than the first cylinder.

The volume delivered is the same however the amount of fuel delivered is less, as volume and quantity are two different things depending on temperature. Petrol expands quite a lot for minimal heat change.

High horse power requires identical combustion in each cylinder to ensure reliability. :)

A great way to prevent that common No4 BE failure on engines that get thrashed a bit more than the average driver would give it,.. is to set up a properly designed and installed split rail system.

Agreed that over 200Kw is probably a good starting point to consider split rail.

Gary Cappers own open class rally car has split rails. Guess he talked to an engineer about it.

wildturkey said:

do both if you can.....but agree the pump probably b4 the split

If you're gona use Tee joiners on the split rail setup......consider Y joiners instead for better flow

Makes no difference. Equal lengths are most important!

Use crimped teflon ss braided 8mm hose. Never use hose clips!! (opinion)

soopersubaru']

[quote name='wildturkey said:

If you're gona use Tee joiners on the split rail setup......consider Y joiners instead for better flow

/quote]

agree Y vs T makes no difference but why do you reckon lengths are important? The only thing that would matter would be pressure variation, so unless one side is 10metres and the other 10cm there won't be any pressure drop

walbro ordered. split rails, ehh, that might come later. ill be going for the two regulated rails i think.

im not chasing the big numbers, im just trying to have some fun.

once iv got some serious $$$ ill be looking into a v8 conversion. because, lets face it, that would be pretty awesome. v8 seats, dash gbox engine etc etc etc. optimistic? yes. expensive? yes. but i think it will be fun.

sultan']

[quote name='wildturkey said:

/quote]

agree Y vs T makes no difference but why do you reckon lengths are important? The only thing that would matter would be pressure variation, so unless one side is 10metres and the other 10cm there won't be any pressure drop

Any extra length on one side will cause pressure drop to that side. Albeit marginal. The equal lengths ensure equal flow and fuel temp. this will ensure correct / identical combustion in each cylinder. Assuming the cylinders are also equal in volume/compression etc.

The more accurate you are in doing any mods / upgrades the better the result.

Sound engineering practice we call it.

sultan said:

the difference in pressure would be considerably smaller than the tolerences between the injectors

possibly!!....Always have your injectors calibrated too! (every little insy winsey detail....Sorted = reliability)

If you can't do it well.....And we can't all do it all.... e.g:- I can build stuff from steel(anything mechanical) but cannot panel-beat a 1955 door panel flat to/with a mirror finish...The brother inlaw can beat any panel too any shape perfectly but cannot read a micrometre.

Always try to use a person that enjoys doing the job you require and also earns a dollar from his "hobby" then you get that craftsmanship look you are looking for...usually a great price too!!

soopersubaru']

[quote name='sultan said:

the difference in pressure would be considerably smaller than the tolerences between the injectors

/quote]

possibly!!....Always have your injectors calibrated too! (every little insy winsey detail....Sorted = reliability)

If you can't do it well.....And we can't all do it all.... e.g:- I can build stuff from steel(anything mechanical) but cannot panel-beat a 1955 door panel flat to/with a mirror finish...The brother inlaw can beat any panel too any shape perfectly but cannot read a micrometre.

Always try to use a person that enjoys doing the job you require and also earns a dollar from his "hobby" then you get that craftsmanship look you are looking for...usually a great price too!!

good call bro!!

what suspension you running now kiwifoz? more aint no good if you cant keep it on the ground ie my foz runs a second quicker than my wrx round taupo, wrx has 30kw more power and is lighter..... forester has a lot more suspension work done to it and still has issues keeping power on the ground.

I always try use stock socks rather then the short walbro socks if the factory one is in good enough condition.

Were not fans of the split rails with duel regs, you get a couple of PSI difference betwen them even from the same make and model car.

One of our customers had a vac line pop off one of his regs and it melted 2 of his forged pistions at the track.

Split rails with 1 reg would be the way I would go, but everybody has there own opinions

We didn't put a guage on it to compare rails, The only true way to test them, would be to block each side and measure the fuel pressure, as the fuel pressure will usually be the lower of the 2 regs as it takes the path of least resistance,

But we know from having tested a wide range of cars with simlar mods, changed to another stock FPR etc and found differences of up to 5psi

Fueling is one thing you don't want to cut corners, as saving $100 here or there, can cost you 2k+ in 2 months time for a new engine. Its the same with engine tuning.