Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ceramic bearings in vf series turbos

vorigan

For those who maybe interested i have been testing ceramic bearings in vf series turbos to my knowledge ( for dropkick i have some not much ) no one else has done this around the poluted planet we live on unless someone can direct me to them?

Anyway they seem to show great merit as in responce longer life anti gualing effect 50% lighter etc etc, have been using them in GT series turbos showing major gains in boost responce.

One test done by a certain tuning place in wellywood showed a 4 psi gain in responce with no other changes being done,i dont give prices this is just and exercise in development work, at this point can only do to bb turbos also revamping my bb conversion to td05 units as demand seems to be there at this point and time.

Useless info over and out :-*

funkytown said:

Interesting.work. What sort of decreases in boost theshold are you seeing?

and you mentioned some time back a lack of rebuild parts for gt's, does your work cover this shortage?

on the boost graph 500rpm depending on load point as in when you hit the loud pedal, so long as the gt unit is gotten at in time its prolongs life of it greatly.

Eg: the late great stacy hoppers targa car pooed and engine a few months ago BIG time i had already put ceramics in it, after checking the turbo it was full of engine bearing material a quick diamond polish of the races and not a mark on the ceramics put back together.... and won the targa rotorua.

you can run them with 50% less oil increasing responce again but i dont advise due to the residual heat removal the oil carries.

soopersubaru said:

Very good!! Us Kiwis are clever alright....Good luck on this continuing development!

Ceramics will soon be up with it.Vibration/harmonics still an issue to be solved. sooooon!

cant say i have too many issues with that side of things in fact its pretty rare to have them these days

vorigan said:

One test done by a tuning place showed a 4 psi gain in responce with no other changes being done

hey can you explain what a 4psi gain in response is? are you describing an increase of 4psi at each rev point therefore the boost threshold is lower as i asked previous?

I'd be keen as to see any back to back runs you have on a GT unit

telemekas said:

"no one else has done this around the poluted planet we live on unless someone can direct me to them?"

Mr Turbo does modify VF CHRAs

http://autospeed.com/A_111642/cms/article.html

http://www.billetturbochargers.com/Turbo_range.ews

ah not sure if you actually read his site but he REPLACES the core with another one i on the other hand keep everthing OEM!!!

He also says "new turbo with factory remanufactured exhaust housing" to which is maybe made in china due to the issue of turbine hsg sizes a 18cm=1-152a/r and a 20cm=1.28 a/r and with those a/r's arnt stock sub.

Now stock sub uses a p18=.708 a/r p20=-78 a/r p25 twin scroll=-98 a/r now either its a miss print or they are far from stock sub hsg's cm/2 is mitsi sizing p/area use a metirc conversion differant to mitsi and garrett is done by imperial conversion.

Now alot of guys are getting between 220kw( 353 mtr ) and 250kw( 402 mtr ) on a stockish factory turbo which is only 73ho short of his biggets unit thus a lot of money for that gain.

Ive repaired a few of his units over the years and there based around garrett parts and there bearings are off the shelf, mine arnt so can you try again and find someone thats doing a STOCK chra sub unit with ceramics, ithe problem ive seen with his units is the ally core moves under high temp changing clearances.

Hi flow for me is a maching process to get the most from a stock unit without changing wheels or housing( blue printing), upgraded or hybrid is chnaging these things to mix and match.

And you cna buy the billet comp wheels from china or off ebay alot of the billet stuff is used in oem trucks these days to help protect the driver when it explodes along with titanium wheels to which they now make cast iron comp covers cause when the let go they kill you !!!!!!

Alot of billet wheels on the market are just like chinese they dont come with comp maps.

And im not sure about the world wining jetski casue last time i checked it was a kiwi and the turbo was a garrett gt,i deal with a a few ski shops and atleast thats what they just told me then again its that old aussies are better than everyone else thing ;D

Im not bagging the guy but hes not the only one doing a chra presision turbos do the same still they both seem to work ok

telemekas said:

Yes I have read what he does!

"i on the other hand keep everthing OEM"

The above was not conveyed specifically in your first post.

My mistake.

My apologies.

ill live but i said testing in vf turbos not a core replacement/hi flow as he states it then again yourve questioned me before so its all good fun :D keep searching i like to think this boggen westy isnt that smart and someone else has done it before now ;D

the test unit was run over the weekend for a two day rally and performed well no retune was done to the test car but the owner was very happy with the better responce thus gain in hp even though running a resrictor, more testing to be done until we can break it or not.

WRXONP said:

Im very interested lol . . so is the ceramic bearings a straight fit or do you need to machine to make them fit ?

cant give away the trade secrets but there is work to fit them but still retaining oem setup ;D

kwi_fozze said:

trade secrets? fair call. sounds good though, be good to know how long it takes to fry the turbo as opposed to a standard one in rally situation!!!

well so far its the only thing making GT turbos live so VF should be the same

ha ha fair enough . . its just interesting me lol what's the main difference between the ceramic bearing and the ball bearing ? does the ceramic have no balls ? work like a thrust bearing ? sorry ha ha just not to clued up on the bearings

WRXONP said:

ha ha fair enough . . its just interesting me lol what's the main difference between the ceramic bearing and the ball bearing ? does the ceramic have no balls ? work like a thrust bearing ? sorry ha ha just not to clued up on the bearings

still a ball bearing operates the same way

WRXONP said:

ah yes just different material . . ceramic can handle more heat so only makes sense to use it . . do the ceramic bearings have less drag resulting in the quicker spool ?

they have 50% less drag lighter and anti gualing effect meaning dont care if you throw crap oil at them or even lack of it, in fact they can live on 50% less oil feed reducing parasitic drag.

Hi..i looked at doing this and had a discussion about my VF28 at the time it blew..I think you werent quite sorted for VFs then?(late 2010)....will definately give it a go when my VF34 blows one day.