Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF36 vs VF30

xsvpwr

Is anybody please able to point out the differencse between the VF36 vs VF30?

I know it's a twin scroll turbo but apparently my V7 has one as the previous owner (richm on here) got it replaced due to thinking his VF30 was poked. Afaik it has an aftermarket down pipe but I thought you required different headers to make a twin scroll work on a V7 non spec c...?

• Admin

You could weld a twin-scroll flange onto a single scroll up-pipe and the turbo would still work just fine...

All V7s were single scroll by the way. The Spec C just got the VF34 with BB centre, vs the VF30 with thrust bearings or whatever they're called.

boon said:

You could weld a twin-scroll flange onto a single scroll up-pipe and the turbo would still work just fine...

All V7s were single scroll by the way. The Spec C just got the VF34 with BB centre, vs the VF30 with thrust bearings or whatever they're called.

That is correct..

I believe the vf36 is off a v8/9 sti

ADIKT']

[quote name='boon said:

/quote]

That is correct..

and damn does it sound nice at 22psi...

in the words of Shale:

HHHHNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

kwi_fozze']

[quote name='boon said:

/quote]

That is correct..

in the words of Shale:

HHHHNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Huh? Whered 22psi come from lol

ADIKT']

[quote name='boon said:

/quote]

That is correct..

in the words of Shale:

HHHHNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Huh? Whered 22psi come from lol

my memory of my uncles one. *shrugs* not relevent but just my $0.02

I'm pretty much sure I read somewhere here that richm modified the VF36 to run with a single scroll headers

Edit: I believe he replaced the VF36 exhaust housing (twin scroll) with a single scroll exhaust housing.

Dv8er - FSTWRX said:

This may help.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,1569.0.html

I know with GC8's you need the headers and sump to go with it aswell (sump gets in the way of the twin scroll headers). V7 should be the same as GC8 with that part I would of thought?

This proved to be a excellent read, and a good last 15min of work spent wisely.

• Admin

In that case, for all intents and purposes, it's a VF34. Same compressor housing and wheel. Ball bearing centre.

Great turbo on the V7. Earlier spool than the VF30, same top end punch. Probably the best IHI Single Scroll turbo for a street car.

boon said:

In that case, for all intents and purposes, it's a VF34. Same compressor housing and wheel. Ball bearing centre.

Great turbo on the V7. Earlier spool than the VF30, same top end punch. Probably the best IHI Single Scroll turbo for a street car.

The vf34 also usually carries a fairly large price tag too.. Rarely see them too..

the biggest issue with the vf30 is cracking turbin housings around the wastegate area i change them on a regular bases using another hsg but maching is needed to make it fit, the vf36 is a great unit and a better turbo and more responcive but as stated a sump change and few other things to fit them.

would twisting the twin scroll turbo but still using the single scroll manifold work any good ? and the twisted adaptor had a y which would split it up to the twin scroll ? or is the twin scroll more effective with longer runners ?

WRXONP said:

would twisting the twin scroll turbo but still using the single scroll manifold work any good ? and the twisted adaptor had a y which would split it up to the twin scroll ? or is the twin scroll more effective with longer runners ?

to get full effect you need two separte pipes

xsvpwr said:

Thanks for the info guys, all sounds positive about my set up. Might have to look at a reflash I'm thinking

where are you from lol? used to know the Richard that ownd the car lol, he sold it to someone in Gisborne I think he said lol

WRXONP said:

ah yeah . . Steve what's your own opinion of Vf23 vs Vf22 vs Vf30 ?

they all use the same size turbine wheels with 22 being the biggest comp then vf30 then 23, as in flow depends what your trying to do you know the same how longs a piece of string

oh ok . . . . i just ment generally for a street car . Imo the 22 lags more yet doesn't make any more peak power than 23. . . and all the Vf30s Ive seen on dyno aren't that great . . . some people seem to hate on the p20 exhaust housing . . . i really don't see why ?

marc']

[quote name='xsvpwr said:

Thanks for the info guys, all sounds positive about my set up. Might have to look at a reflash I'm thinking

/quote]

where are you from lol? used to know the Richard that ownd the car lol, he sold it to someone in Gisborne I think he said lol

Yeah some kid who lost his licence 1 month after buying it so it's now back in Auckland with me. If you know anything more about the car I'd love to find out bro