Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Max Power from a VF30

xsvpwr

Hey guys,

So I am looking at getting the car re-flashed early next year and I wanted to get some informed opinions from people on here.

First up the car is a 2001 Impreza STI Sport Wagon. Presently the car is standard besides:

- VF30 rebuilt by Steve Murch using original VF30 housing and roller ball bearing internals from a new VF36 (10,000km old now)

- Stainless Steel divorced down pipe heat wrapped

- STI Genome Muffler

- Work Emotion CR-Kai wheels

Planned Mods:

- Electronic boost controller (Turbosmart E-Boost Street)

- Replace whats left of factory exhaust with a better flowing system

- Walbro fuel pump

- ECU Re-flash and tune

- Replace brake pads + fluid

I would like to know what KW realistically with that set up I could achieve?

A couple of other questions:

- STI Pink injectors flowing enough?

- Factory air intake sufficient for decent power?

- V7 STI Top Mount taking care of intake temps easily?

- Best value for money handling upgrades?

I appreciate all constructive comments.

Cheers,

Ben

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have been reading his thread, I would like 220 atw kw. Just not sure when VF30 I have runs out of puff.

I also note significant decrease in power from 6500rpm on his dyno plot and the same with a dyno plot I have for my car. Just curious why this is and why it won't hold 207kw to redline?

Current Dyno plot:

321398_2375422943543_1189669797_32815877

Previous owner was quite concerned about having a safe tune, blue line is current plot

Reflash gains abt 30-40 kw at wheels with a stock car with justthe following mods

Exhaust

U should put a Walbro for better safety

And highly recomend a boost controller to hold some more power higher in the revs

I have seen more gain but at the cost of getting towards unsafe and knocky

Best to run the car on a dyno day before and then after tune so u know exact gains

Personally I have seen issues with some of the cars making quoted power on a dyno day where as the tuner Wud have claims a different figure after their tune

Not pointin any fingers etc but I personally believe that the best way to get a before and after reading is on a public dyno day so there is no question weather the dyno was setup different

From personal experience I have had at least 1 tuner give me a reading of 224kw and then a week later on a dyno day on the same dyno the car didn't even make 200

No changes were made

Anyway point is based on 175 being stock power , with just an exhaust as a power mod and Walbro and Ebc as helper mods u will see abt 205-210kw

That's what I have gotten on at least a few cars anyway

As said before u can get more but Its bordering away from safety and onset of knock

Different dynos read different obviously but just for no particular reason I personally use torque performance dyno as a benchmark

U can use any dyno I suppose but the main thing is to dk before and after on same dyno

a proper tune by someone who knows what they're doing.

but yes cooler intake temps and better fuel decrease the chance of detonation, without making physical changes to the engine that is.

also makesure if your running a factory PCV setup that the inside of your intercooler doesn't have any oil vapour geasing it up, this effectivly lower the octane level of your air/fuel mix

chappell943']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

I got 227kw atw with a vf30. Its possible

/quote]

What was peak boost hitting? And also what were your other mods as i'm after doing a very similar thing with my car to the o/p

21.5psi it was set too... i always ran it on low boost though ::) closed deck block, v4 sti r heads, walbro + reg +split rails + yellow top inj, 38mm external right behind the turbo, semi tuned stainless headers, front mount, hks evc6 and powerfc.. all forged aswell :)

imo VF30 is a piece of junk... no once ive seen a good condition one that hasnt got cracked exhaust housing. im sure it runs out of puff at top end, even the vf37 which has a much larger exhaust housing runs out of puff after 6500rpm

ive seen vf23 hitting 220kw mark, so i dont see why a vf30 wont

thats my next plan

havs a FMIC and will put a EVC and see what more i can push out of it ..safely

hoping to reduce the boost and take advantage of the cooler charge from the fmic and use timing to gain some more

anyway, its the change/increase thats important on the same dyno as final readings on different dynos can vary etc

currently using a boost tap which tapers abt 7 psi from peak as heads to redline

not necessary too bad as dont mind lower boost at hi revs but hoping the evc can reduce the amount of drop

Slidesector said:

My VF22 Hit 219KW and runs out of puff heavily, Stuggles to hold 18PSI and spends most of its time declining- it has supporting mods as well and over 18PSI it just pushes hot air.

V7 STI engine

i made 219kw on my old RA but ran out of fuel - yellow injectors- , i had plenty of boost left but this was a brand spanking new vf22

old turbos can get tired

the actuator should be replace also, with the EBC at 65-70 percent gain it starts to fluctuate and u can hear it opening and closing, the factory one is 8psi and the spring is just too weak

my plan to fix this is going external or using this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Actuator-SUBARU-STI-IHI-VF36-VF37-1-0-Bar-14-Psi-/290601224428?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a92ec8ec

X']

[quote name='Slidesector said:

My VF22 Hit 219KW and runs out of puff heavily, Stuggles to hold 18PSI and spends most of its time declining- it has supporting mods as well and over 18PSI it just pushes hot air.

V7 STI engine

/quote]

i made 219kw on my old RA but ran out of fuel - yellow injectors- , i had plenty of boost left but this was a brand spanking new vf22

old turbos can get tired

yeah runnning pinks so no issue with that. I thought the same thing, yet rebuilt 40K ago, dyno tuner thinks 300HP atw is about max for the turbo aswell

hmm good find on that actuater

looks like kunigawa .. driven performance supply them here so maybe they car do a good deal..

defenetly actuaters too weak thats for sure

what are ur thoughts on helper spring mr X?

seen a few cars have them.....

X said:

i was running fully forged engine,split fuel rail, flipped manifold front mount, walbro, avcr ebc and a link that was 18psi i wanted to run 22psi on high boost

Yeah its running V7 engine, link g4 external ECU, External gate (out of housing) Tuned length extracotrs, front mount, 500HP fuel pump, VCT, AVCS, etc etc, And turbo is letting the hole lot down ae.

TD06 20G is the way i've been told. I wanted 20PSI tune but it was just pushing hot air. The turbo peaks earli to 18 and stays about 15 PSI throuighout the rev range. Turbo must be Fkd really

pappu']

hmm good find on that actuater

looks like kunigawa .. driven performance supply them here so maybe they car do a good deal..

defenetly actuaters too weak thats for sure

what are ur thoughts on helper spring mr X?

seen a few cars have them.....

i never heard about them so i wouldnt know?

but for $100 for the actuator is cheaper then using external and its bolt on

[quote name='X said:

i was running fully forged engine,split fuel rail, flipped manifold front mount, walbro, avcr ebc and a link that was 18psi i wanted to run 22psi on high boost

/quote]

Yeah its running V7 engine, link g4 external ECU, External gate (out of housing) Tuned length extracotrs, front mount, 500HP fuel pump, VCT, AVCS, etc etc, And turbo is letting the hole lot down ae.

TD06 20G is the way i've been told. I wanted 20PSI tune but it was just pushing hot air. The turbo peaks earli to 18 and stays about 15 PSI throuighout the rev range. Turbo must be Fkd really

yeah TD05/6 20g is a way to go... but what one and what brand?

My current setup is a full ver8 sti engine with front mount and decat downpipe, it got tuned with 650cc injectors and got 219kw with just 15.6psi (spike) and settle at 15psi got lots of fuel left but my MAF pipe was too small. Its all back to standard for now with pink injectors on standard ecu

If you have a reflash and well tuned etc then the difference between 200kw atw and 220 kw atw is just wank factor.

Either will be a monster road car.

Personally just make it as driveable/well tuned as you can and its a huge win.

on the same dyno 200kw and 220kw cars?

dunno abt being wank factor but have driven a 200kw and 220kw suby and defenetly the 220 had more brutal feel to it...

maybe different dyno cars due to different readings maybe acctually same-ish output

but i agree on the well tuned bit - just a peak power and drop off may not feel as strong as lower peak but more broad spread...

pappu said:

on the same dyno 200kw and 220kw cars?

dunno abt being wank factor but have driven a 200kw and 220kw suby and defenetly the 220 had more brutal feel to it...

maybe different dyno cars due to different readings maybe acctually same-ish output

but i agree on the well tuned bit - just a peak power and drop off may not feel as strong as lower peak but more broad spread...

+1

my point being that the extra 20kw wont make or break the performance.

A 200kw atw car still feels animal on the road.

Id have a 200kw car with great driveability over a 250kw car with poor driveability any day of the week and twice on sundays.