Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mate is buying a legacy, anything to look out for?

MercuryFree

Yep a decent condition Gen2 would be near impossible to find...

140K thats low K's for that old a car...

Look for Rust on or near the tailgate,

condition of the driver's seat (that will tell you if the K's are honest...)

Manual - accelaration 3rd gear under load (also try 4th/5th)

Check turbo's,

engine noise,

Service History

Turbo's

Smoke from tailpipe

Cold start

Just the usual suspects, but I suspect something is sus with that car... 140K is very low for that old a car...

Apparently its unmodded too, but we shall see... If true it may be one old man driver syndrome haha. Getting it pretty cheap, he's trading his problematically inclined mr2 for it plus $1k cash his way so not too bad of a deal if this one is in better condition / more reliable

Cheers guys :)

MercuryFree said:

Rfrb? I seem to recall this but what does it mean? Haha.

It's in effing good interior condition, only mods are de spoilered, two point underbody brace and carbon canister is blocked off. Even stock wheels and exhaust

Run Fast, Run Beautiful

Plenty of external dings but inside is tidy as, even the boot. Engine date on oil cap matches car age, so either it's original engine or an identical one or a rebuild of stock if it has failed at some point. A bit leaky from the gearbox and a little from the rear of the engine, but turbos appear fine. Oil is new it seems. No detectable coolant present. Seems like a good buy if it runs properly on test drive.

Jakee - haha yeah it says that on it, crazy japs. Does it mean

Anything spec wise though?

subieboy']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

Means pretty much nothing except aftermarket trim. I have every RFRB extra in my garage for the BG wagons lol

Rare to find 'em that tidy ;D And btw, my sister's new 1992 GT has 125,000km on it and looks to have spent most of its life getting a tan rather than being driven anywhere - until the nupty previous owner pulled the wastegate hose off and blew a piston to smithereens. So they do exist, but they are most definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Keeping in mind that though they start to f*ck out mechanically at this age, the options for refreshing, replacing or outright upgrading motors are fiddly but very possible. It makes an otherwise tidy car salvageable in my opinion, and it's exactly what we've finished doing with this 1992 GT on the driveway. A few niggly bits and pieces, a minor respray for the roof and bonnet, and she's a winner.

I see no issue in getting a tidy car for little $$$, expecting it to f*ck out...and either being pleasantly surprised, or very prepared for the inevitable and ready with a replacement motor the moment it misbehaves. The important part is bolded.

MercuryFree said:

How much do you think he'd get for it approximately if he were to flick it off? He's wanting to end up with something more economical and whilst this would be a step in the right direction he probably wants to end up with a non turbo.

Thoughts?

What is he picking it up for?

MercuryFree said:

How much do you think he'd get for it approximately if he were to flick it off? He's wanting to end up with something more economical and whilst this would be a step in the right direction he probably wants to end up with a non turbo.

Thoughts?

Why buy it all then?

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

Thoughts?

/quote]

Why buy it all then?

+1 Once the TT bites it NEVER lets go...

Gives GTB on the driveway the "evil sideways look"...

i brought a 1993 legacy gt bg5 tt for 1300 the paint on roof is faded passengers door screwdrived 180k on clock and a few other minor things engine went well went great for 2 weeks now code 66 lol but a real good buy all in all subieboy your deffinatley right i was a subie hater untill this awesome deal poped up haha